Author Topic: Gun for Law Enforcement Job  (Read 886 times)

Offline BlakeN70

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun for Law Enforcement Job
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:07:51 PM »
Hello i am brand new to the forum. I have a question to start out with. I just got hired on at a local Police Dept. And i was wondering if a 357 Smith & Wesson Model 66-2 with 3" barrel would be a good choice. Secondly in general is this a good gun? I bought it second hand for $250. I brought it in to a gun dealer today and he told me to make sure to hold on to it because there were only 2,500 of these PARTICULAR models made. Anyone with advice,input or anything else regarding this gun would be greatly appreciated as this is my first ever pistol i have owned.
PS... Regarding the police question, i need to know if this gun is accurate and has good "knock down" power. Thanks!!!!

Offline Spencer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 01:40:14 PM »
Hello, I think you will find your answer from the knowledgeable people here at graybeard outdoors, but if you want, check out www.Smith-wessonforum.com There are some very knowledgeable people that can help with that question over there as well.
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the golf course.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 02:17:06 PM »
It's got lots of power and variations on it have been popular with police. Important, however, is what you carry it in and what ammunition you use. You will need a good, high quality holster that suits you personally, and that may mean that you have to buy a few and reject a couple.  If you need to fire the gun in the line of duty, it will likely be at night. Be sure to select ammunition that does not create so much muzzle flash that it affects your night vision. It's amazing how bright white some of those muzzle flashes can be.
Safety first

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
LE Guns
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 06:19:52 PM »
Blake,

Where do you hail from?  What type of area will you be policing?  Rural? City?  Also, what type of of ammo will you be carrying?  Take it from somebody who has been in the business for 20+ years, all these factors need to be taken into consideration.....

1.  When I first started, I carried a Ruger Security Six, mostly because I had to get my mother to purchase it because I was not quite old enough to by a gun or ammo.  The only bullets I carried were .38's....The .357 bullet will travel through alot and you don't want to chance hitting something, or somebody, that you did not want to....

2.  You might consider a pistol (automatic) in either 9mm or .40 cal.  The 40's are one of the most popular these days for police work.  Also, the automatic gives you more ammo if you were to need it.  Think about it, carrying a revolver you would have 18 rounds of ammo, however, carrying, say a Glock 40, you could have about 46 rounds of ammo in 3 mags and one in the chamber.  I know some guys who got into gunbattles and burned up a mag in a matter of seconds.  

3.  I did carry a .45 for awhile, and if I were still working patrol, I might still carry it.  But working plain clothes now, I went back to the Glock 22 and carry a .38 revolver on my ankle all the time.

Just my thoughts on this.....Let me know how it works out...

Bob/TX

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 06:54:03 PM »
Glock 22. Recoils less and more ammo.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 06:59:15 PM »
BlakeN70-

What handguns are on the "approved" list at your department?  If we knew what sort of guns you are allowed to carry, we could offer better advice.  For instance, if rookies are only allowed to carry wheel guns, which is sometimes the case, folks will know better than to steer you towards semi-autos.  Is there a minimum or maximum barrel length?  What calibers are allowed?  I haven't heard of any department, at least not in this day and age, that has an "anything goes" policy towards officers' side arms, so it would help to know what rules you're working under.
NRA life member

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 08:44:26 PM »
I carried a M66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel on the job for a number of years.  It was accurate and dependable.  Ammo of choice was .357 with 125 grain hollow point.  For those who have problems handling full house .357 loads, the .38 +p+ load is not bad.  The weapon and the ammo was provided by the department.  The weapon was also inspected annually by a department approved gunsmith.  

Leverfan is right on with his question regarding what weapons are on your departments approved listed.  When I carried personnel weapons on the job they had to be inspected by a gunsmith and a letter from that gunsmith was placed in my file stating that the weapon meets department standards and is safe.  There are a lot of liability issues regarding weapons carried by law enforcement officers.  Make sure that you are within department policy.  Civil lawyers have reams of background material on officers weapons and ammunition.  Because of that most departments have policy's regarding such.  Even if you happen to disagree, carry approved ammo and weapon.

I started out carrying a used .357, but even in those days I had it worked on by a gunsmithing outfit that specialized in law enforcement weapons and provide a letter certifying the safety of my pistol.  Over the years I have seen a number of pistols put out of service because they could not pass muster.  One department I worked with purchased all new S&W revolvers.  Before they were issued each one was cleaned by the department range master, and range tested.  A number of new out of the box pistols did not pass and needed work.

I am a fan of the .357 round, but if I was to return to the street I would be carrying a Sig 220, 45 auto.  I would not carry a spray-and-pray 9mm unless that was a condition of employment.

A used pistol can be a little scary because you do not know it's history.  Was is well cared for or was it owned by a nut who liked to flip the cylinder closed?  Buyer beware!
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 05:38:20 PM »
I carried a S&W model 19 4" barrel in .357mag for several years as a duty weapon.  Great gun and it will serve you well.  The 66 is the stainless steel version of the 19.  

I now carry a Glock 22 in .40S&W, but would not feel under gunned if I had to carry a good wheel gun again.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
Good Deal On .357!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 05:08:46 AM »
Blake, you gotta' good deal on the little Magnum.   IMHO, a .357 needs more barrel to really get up and run, so I would suggest heavy bullets like a 158gr load instead of the 125s.  

Whatever you choose, it's gotta' be something you can shoot well enough to hit a full size silhouette target at arms length when you draw & shoot.   This might sound like it's too easy. but a lotta' LEOs can't do it with high powered handguns - pistols or revolvers.  

Holsters:   A top quality RETENTION Style, ANTI-GRAB type holster is almost as important to your survival as a bullet proof vest.

I'm retired now, but over the past 30 years or so, I had people try to take my handgun from the holster when wrestling & handcuffing perps.     I know several Officers who were disarmed and one who lost his life, 'cos they were using the old fashioned "Hume" leather holsters with their revolvers.  

IMHO ~ The absolute best holsters for LEOs these days are precision form fitted for each model of pistol or revolver - injection molded plastic and anit-grab style with the entire trigger guard covered by the molded  plastic.  You'll have a thumb-break release over the hammer,  with a split style front break type opening.   These are not meant to be competition or fast draw holsters.  The revolver cannot be snatched from behind - guaranteed!   Just be sure your big duty belt has "Keepers" lined up close to the holster front & rear, so the belt won't slide around to put the weapon at your back during a struggle...      

I can guarantee you, if you wear one of the old style leather or nylon holsters, the first time you come up against a guy who's been in prison, he'll spot it a mile away - and try to maneuver in a position to snatch your S&W...   They practice in PRISON and educate each other on how to disarm a Police Officer while resisting arrest...

If you need more help, speak up - there's retired LEOs on this forum and others that can help you select the necessary gear to ensure you make it to your own retirement one day!  

GOOD LUCK!  NAIL'EM & JAIL'EM!   :wink:
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 06:51:10 AM »
LOTS of good advise here, I hope it's getting through.  Going on the street is not something to take lightly, as you can rapidly find yourself in The Dark Place with little or no warning.  I know this is a gun forum, but the gun is only a part of your equipment, and all of it is important for various reasons.  

I'm guessing that this is a smaller department, and that you have to provide your own gear.  While most of it is overpriced (IMO), some things are worth just what you pay for them, or more.  One of these is a good Duty Holster.  The new designs are light years ahead of what I was using 20 years ago.  The new models are expensive, and worth every penny.  Considering that a cheap holster will have to be replaced every few years, you'll save money in the long run by buying the best you can afford right now.  Some things are okay to scrimp on.  Your A$$ isn't one of them!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline BlakeN70

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 05:18:40 AM »
Well haven't been on the web in awhile. Anyways i have made a change since then. I just could not shoot that 357 with 3" barrel accurately. I brought it in to a local gun shop and the man showed me a brand new S&W 9mm Sigma he had just got in. Well to make a long story short i ended up traded him the 357 and $100 and i now own the new 9mm Sigma. I have shot app. 150 rounds through it and i REALLY like it. I can tell the difference in accuracy in the 4" compared to the 3". The trigger takes a little getting used to however. It is rather "hard" But from what i understand it's a saftey feature.For everyone that had asked, I live in a VERY small town in South Louisiana and our Dept. has NO specifications on our weapons. Due to the fact that we have to purchase ALL of our gear. EVEYTHING expect the uniform you put on your back. Even our own ammo LOL. But anyways i think i can use this S&W 9mm for the time being and then check into something else later. Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
9mm AMMO For LEOs
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 05:52:10 AM »
Blake, get the Chief or Head of your department to sign a letter for you so you can order some 9mm +P+ Ammo for your pistol.   I wouldn't use ANYTHNING less in a 9mm for LEO work.   I like the Winchester white box stuff - 115gr HP.   It's really hot, but the only thing I feel is adequate in a 9mm for a Police Officer.    ONLY Police Officers or Law Enforcement Departments can order it, even though it might show up at Gun Shows.   I have to wonder sometimes if the stuff at the Gun Shows isn't reloaded and repackaged original +P+ once fired brass.    

GOOD LUCK!   :D

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 10:58:51 AM »
Gowge (and others :grin: )-

Pretty much anyone can get +P+ ammo from:

www.ammoman.com

It's genuine factory ammo in excellent condition.  The web site says, "public welcome" to order it.  If anyone chooses to shoot this stuff, they'd better be sure that their gun can handle it.

I hope that the S&W Sigma quality has improved since they first came out.
NRA life member

Offline BlakeN70

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 11:32:06 AM »
Yes the Sigma's of today are ALOT better quality than the older ones.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
Winchester 9mm +P+?
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 05:48:38 AM »
He's only showing the Federal stuff.  The White-Box Winchester is the real deal and rated much higher.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_9mm.htm

GOOD LUCK!   :D