Author Topic: What does CCW really permit?  (Read 996 times)

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What does CCW really permit?
« on: October 06, 2004, 04:08:56 AM »
I'm constantly amazed ... and a little confused ... by different states' varying interpretations of "concealed carry".  It seems to have something to do with local/popular opinion about guns, in general (that is, is a guy with a gun a "good guy" or a "bad guy").  The extreme "bad guy" states seem to say, "We'll give you a license to carry concealed, but that means no one must EVER see it; and, if someone does, you're in trouble."  That's about the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of.  In the middle ground seems to be those states that think it's so normal to carry a gun that carrying openly is unremarkable ... and essentially unregulated; but someone who wants to carry concealed is a little suspicious (Texas in the old pre-CCW days comes to mind).  Then there's the business about "Well, we won't give you a license to carry, but you can have a gun in your glove compartment"  ("Hello, crooks! 2 for 1 deal here. Steal the car and get a free gun, too!")  Alternatively, there are some states that won't let you leave a gun unattended in a car. ("But officer, I had to carry my shotgun into the 7-Eleven.  I couldn't leave it in the car."). Anyway, it sure makes it hard to comply ... which just makes it that much easier to run afoul of the law ... and thus become another "gun-crime" statistic.  Almost makes you wish for a "national" license (What am I saying? Wash my mouth out with soap!). Just my 2 cents.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 05:22:38 AM »
In Georgia there are some specific places listed,i/e public buildings, schools, sporting events, etc, where carry is not permitted. Which I have no real problem with. In any other location, if I understand the law correctly, you can carry anywhere unless specifically prohibited by law or the property owner post a no firearms sign in a prominent location that you would see before entering. Like your local Wally world, which I at least have never seen. This is where I have a real problem. Almost all gun shops I see have such a sign, or at least a no loaded firearms sign. This in effect not only makes my CCW worthless but deprives me of my constitutional right that they claim to support and depend on for there very business. I have to either leave my carry gun in the car or unload it and carry it empty. Neither option is acceptable to me so I usually just ignore the sign. Which makes me a law breaker. They are adamant about my right to keep and bear arms and will shout it from the roof tops. They think I should have the right to own and carry anywhere I want to and my rights should not be infringed, just not in there store. They dont trust the gun toting people they are trying to do business with. I do realize that there are safety issues involved here and if someone entered my store with a gun out in their hand I would politely ask them to open and make sure it is unloaded. But I would not be the least bit concerned about someone carrying concealed legally.
 Just one of them little things that gets under my skin. Now I done vented about it, I feel better. :-)
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 08:16:57 AM »
I think most of the concealed requirement is for the carrier's safety. A bad guy would love to get a hold of a gun that he did not have to buy. He might just decide to take yours. It is better that he not know you have one. Seen it happen a bunch.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:06:19 AM »
Unless you carry concealed you loose the element of surprise.  When dealing with criminals you want all the "surprise" factor on your side you can get!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »
The best thing about CCW is that the bad guys don't know who's packing and who's not.  The best outcomes are when, as Massad Ayoob says, the Bad Guy makes, "a fatal error in the victim selection process".

Anti-gunners are fond of saying that CCW laws are bad because, "Someone might get hurt!"  Personally, as long as the right people get shot, I don't mind violence at all!

Papajohn the Pacifistic Pistol Packer :roll:
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 03:18:41 PM »
CCW in my opinion is just a another way for the states to rip off the law abiding citizens.  More gun laws.  That's all it is :shock: ....Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
Indiana
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 01:41:58 AM »
IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
     Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 3-7-13-5 or IC 33-28-4-8, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155.

IC 35-47-2-2
Excepted persons
     Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
        (1) marshals;
        (2) sheriffs;
        (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
        (4) judicial officers;
        (5) law enforcement officers;
        (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
        (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
        (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
        (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
        (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
        (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
     Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »
Quote from: Van/TX
CCW in my opinion is just a another way for the states to rip off the law abiding citizens.  More gun laws.  That's all it is :shock: ....Van

That's right. In North Carolina it's a $30.00 tax every year to exercise your God given right to defence by bearing arms which by the way the constitution of our U.S. of A. says will not be infringed. I disagreed with the Carry Conceal, so called permit it's a slap in the face of law abiding citizens.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 02:36:45 AM »
PETERF-
Well you are right about each state being different and that is not a bad thing, if you think about it.
States tend to develope a culture of their own, in fact, regions of states tend to have sub-cultures.
It therefore makes sense that each state have laws which support or, if you will, defines that culture.
I digress here to Texas, with which I am most familiar, and to thoughts presented before on this subject. These thoughts and this culture would be foreign to many other states and would be foreign to their way of seeing things.
In the olden days of Texas, by GOD, when I was being raised, There was a law that limited carry only to people traveling in a direct line from one specific place to another and crossing at least two counties. This law was, in fact, ignored by peace officers of all stripes. A pistol of some type lived in the gun-UHHH--- glove compartment  of almost every man and woman I had intimate knowledge of.
I was most concerned about letting folks know I carried, even on my person, by applying for a CCW. But I did and do not regret it.
I would bet that for as many CCW folks as there are there are still twice as many who abide by the old cultural rules or laws. What I am saying is most everbody got one and tha lawdogs know it and accept it.
Now tha part about concealment or BRANDISHING, and this too is cultural. Most folks round here take the stance of assuming armed. To expose or brandish would/could mean/show intent and lead to a confrontation that would mess up an otherwise nice day and a lot of paperwork and possible time out.
Now this aint how it is other places, and thats ok, just doan come down here an expect folks to act like you do round your place.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD