Author Topic: New (to me) Topper 20ga  (Read 565 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« on: October 06, 2004, 03:20:49 PM »
I'm proud to announce a new addition to my H&R collection. It's actually a replacement of my first shotgun. It's a topper deluxe model 198. It looks a lot like the current toppers but the nickle reciever is smooth and it's got the old black recoil pad. I have looked for this gun since 1988 when my ex wife pawned my origional after we split. I finally found it on gunbroker. Got it for $34.00. Of course by the time I pay shipping and transfer fees it's no great bargain but I can't wait to take it for a walk in the woods.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 04:49:03 PM »
That is a fine gun I bought mine in St Louis in the early 70's taught my nephew to hunt with it he still talks about the squirrels he shote with it. He is now a better hunter than I am, but that is life.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:20:03 AM »
Hey Markus,
                   Congrats on your new Topper hope it shoot as good as my Topper 28 ga.  These little single shots sure are fun aren't they.   We are gonna have to hook up for a sea duck hnut this winter.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 01:41:40 PM »
Dave I can't wait to get together and hunt sea ducks. I can't wait for my busy season to be over so I can hunt any thing for that matter.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Markus

• Moderators
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 11:46:47 AM »
I finaly have the Deluxe Topper Model 198 in my hands. It feels like I have been reunited with an old friend. It cleaned up almost as good as new. Can't wait to take out for a squirrel hunt. The receiver is so much nicer than the current toppers. Sanded the black off the stock and don't know what I'm doing for a finish yet. I did the same thing to my old one and never put a finnish on it other than dirt and oil from handling and hunting. My wife doesn't understand how I can have an emotional attatchment to a gun but then again I can't get too excited about her new purse.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
New (to me) Topper 20ga
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 03:23:13 PM »
It is nice when a old friend comes home :D
from Tennessee---Paul