Author Topic: Finally Approved for a Full Carry Permit in NYS  (Read 1428 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Finally Approved for a Full Carry Permit in NYS
« on: October 07, 2004, 02:56:09 AM »
It came in the mail yesterday...The Niagara County Pistol Permit Office sent me a letter. It states that I am approved for a FULL CARRY PERMIT. It took about three and a half months but the paperwork finally came back...I've been anxiously awaiting this day. Now I just have to make an appointment to go into the permit office to pick up the actual permit with my pic on it.

A police friend of mine offered to sell me his S&W 9mm for $200 and that is with an Alessi holster. It is about 8 years old but he said that he has only shot it a couple of times. He bought it off of another police officer that didn't shoot it either. All together he believes that there is less than 100 rounds through it. The gun is mint...It will be a good starter gun.

I still want to buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter for this whitetail season. Luckily I will have at least a month to get proficient with it before the season starts...

Yahoo...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Finally Approved for a Full Carry Permit in
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 03:09:48 AM »
Congrats on getting your permit. My wife and I both have permits. We seldom get to use our permits because of employer policy. We do exercise our right at times but is sure is nice to be able to. I've only had one occasion to need mine. I never removed my SIG .45 from my fanny pack holster but placing my hand inside it changed things PDQ!  :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Stillhuntn

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 04:07:18 AM »
Congrats on being approved. Living in Wisconsin CCW permits are only allowed in our dreams.  The bill was passed by one vote on a straw poll, but when the official vote came the one vote changed.  Hopefully the voters of his district will boot him out of office, as his district strongly wants CCW permits.  Maybe one day we will have the ability for law abiding citizens to legally carry in this state.
Lord, grant me the ability to speak soft words today for tomorrow
I may have to chew up and swallow these words.

Offline Ravenwolf

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 05:08:48 AM »
Congratulations on getting your permit.  I've had my NYS PP since 1982 and carry almost daily.  The day I got my permit is the day I became a dedicated handgun hunter.  Hope you get the chance to try handgun hunting this year.  Western NY sure has had a bumper crop of Whitetail this year and plenty of doe tags.  Enjoy.....RW
shoot straight, shoot often, shoot safe

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 05:22:54 AM »
WNY_Whitetailer:  Congradulations.  It is sure nice to know that another good man is proven trustworthy and lawful enough to carry a concealed handgun.  I count this as one of those 'gold star' awards.  Now, nobody can doubt either your law-abiding character or your legal ability to own and carry weapons.  Your background check, which is usually more extensive and exhaustive than that for a police academy applicant,  proves your law-abiding background and it should stand by you for the rest of your life.  I have had a ccw in NYS for 36 years and have never been questioned.  I have had my permit checked and pistols checked but never a problem.  

I had one young trooper say that there must have been a lot of pistol permits issued in or by my county as my permit number was 5 digits log.  When I corrected him and informed him that the number indicated the day, month and year of initial issuance he remarked that I had been carrying a concealed weapon for longer than head had been alive.  Yep, now that's a good feeling.  Congrats again.  Mikey.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 07:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the congrats...I think I am going to the gun shop tomorrow to price out the Super Blackhawk Hunter...I think this is going to be the beginning of a handgun hunting addiction.

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:38:43 PM »
Whitetailer, I was in the Gun Center yesterday, they have them in stock. :wink:
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 03:53:42 PM »
Whitetailer---Congratulations from Olean, NY.  My wife and I have both had permits for several years.  She uses hers mainly for personal protection while I am out of town.  I carry frequently and also have hunted big game with a handgun.  Currently using a T/C Encore in 7mm-08 caliber that will do the job just fine.  We both go to the range often to shoot a variety of handguns or rifles

Ruger is an excellent choice.  Best advise I can offer now is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  Enjoy.

oldhunter

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 02:55:05 PM »
What is a FULL CARRY PERMIT?  And what does it have to do with hunting?  Sorry, I'm just a Texas redneck :) .....Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 02:29:24 AM »
VAN/TX:  In NYS, pistol permits come in 3 different flavors.  One is a premisces permit that allows you to have the handgun in your home only.  The 2nd is a pistol permit that allows you to carry for hunting and target shooting only - this is a questionable category as it is not defined in state law, it is an issuing judge's preference to limit your carry to hunting and target shooting - means you aren't supposed to go packin' it around alla time.  The last category is a concealed carry permit that allows you to carry your firearm concealed anywhere you go except those places where you can't, like schools, etc.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
Holy Cow :eek:  :eek:  Thanks Mikey.  I had no idea.  Now the post makes sense.  Guess I should get out more.  But think I'll keep it down south :D  :D ......Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 07:31:14 AM »
Heck, in TX you can carry in the open can you not?  I was talking to a gentleman who moved from Buffalo to Plano TX and he said it is wonderful.  He was seriously trying to sell me on moving there.  I was seriously thinking about it...I don't think my wife would go though.  Lower taxes, higher temps, better pay...No snow.  The only problem is that there is no state land set aside to hunt on...Seems everything is privately owned and it cost a bit to actually hunt unless you know someone.  

BTW, here's the handgun that I will be buying...A friend of mine offered me his S&W model 6904 for $200 and that includes an Alessi Holster.

Offline jhm

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 08:18:37 AM »
If you dont buy it give me a call, and I will have him ship it here. :D    JIM

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
The only problem is that there is no state land set aside to hunt on...

There is a good bit of National Forest land in Texas that you can hunt.  Cost zero.  Do a search on national forests in Texas :D ....Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 06:50:53 PM »
I stand corrected...I guess I should never believe what I read until I can verify that with a person who is actually in or from TX...Thanks Van.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 08:29:26 PM »
TX also has a somewhat unique program whereby they lease private land with revenues taken in from the sale of permits to hunt this land. With the permit you have access to a huge amount of state leased privately owned land. I forget right now what they call this program. Perhaps some of you Texican's can enlighten us on the proper name of the program.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 03:20:41 PM »
Congrats from another NYS pistol carrier!  I don't get to carry all that often but it's nice to know you can!
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 01:44:57 AM »
I'm just waiting to pick up my first pistol.  I went to the permit office yesterday but I was told that the receipt I had was not sufficient.  They gave me some receipts to fill out as well as letting me know that my friend has to fill out a C Form because he is a police officer.  The C Form will remove the pistol from his badge.  He knew he had to fill one out but he thought he could do it afterward.  Oh well, eventually I will have my pistol to carry.  My friend is calling the permit office today to ensure we have the correct information to make this transaction happen.

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 05:58:21 AM »
Congratulations, I live in Ulster county and over here they don't issue anything but Concealed carry! It's sorta strange how much things differ between counties of the same state.

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 07:23:38 AM »
I have a concealed carry with limitations(hunting and target) in Cayuga county NY. Does anyone know if its possible to apply for a carry with no restriction in this county? Also, if possible, how hard is it to get? Thanks

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 07:50:02 AM »
Contact your county pistol permit office to file an appeal for the full carry permit.  Approval depends a lot on the issuing judge.  Keep your fingers crossed and give them a call.

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 12:44:57 PM »
Not DIRECTLY relevant to the situation in New York, but in Massachusetts (which is at least as restrictive as NY), license issue is up to police chief in your town of residence ... and some are better than others (there are tales of chiefs telling women, "I don't think you should have a gun, little girl, so I'm not going to let you have a permit.  Also, state laws are very convoluted, with several types and levels of carry permit: Target Shooting (must be a  member of a club ... and can only carry pistol to & from club), hunting (must be hunting), work-related, regular pistol (but not hi-capacity), and hi-capacity.  When I was there, I was lucky enough to be grandfathered into a hi-capacity, which is essentially unlimited.  Anyway, it's a standard question on the permit application, "why do you want/need a concealed carry permit".  The best "do-it-all" answer is "for all lawful purposes" ... worked for me.  Bear in mind that, no matter what kind of license you have, you still can't carry in NY CITY ... they've got their own laws ... VERY restrictive (unless you're an LEO or know someone).

Offline Win50

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 07:29:30 AM »
post deleted
Win50
Beretta 96FS .40 w/CTC Laser Grips
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94
Rem 700 ADL .270 w/Leupold
Lookin for .357 wheel and Legacy

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 05:45:39 AM »
WNY whitetailer, what was the reason you gave on your application for a full carry permit? I am going to try and get mine changed from restricted to full carry in Cayuga county and need all the help I can get. Thanks

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »
I listed my reason as personal protection...Do not use self defense as a reason.  That will usually get you turned down in a heart beat...Seems a small difference but I guess it matters to county permit offices.  For more info on NY carry laws check out www.packing.org

Offline Shaylex

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 06:02:58 PM »
I listed my reason as personal protection...Do not use self defense as a reason. That will usually get you turned down in a heart beat...Seems a small difference but I guess it matters to county permit offices.

WNY_Whitetailer........that may be the case in your county, but I listed self defense as one of my reasons and received an unrestricted permit. Unfortunately for me, it did take exactly one year to the day from the time I filed my permit application until I received my approval letter in the mail. :roll:  I really don't think it had anything to do with the reasons I listed, it's just the way things were working in my home county at that time. They've been known to be painfully slow in processing applications a lot of the time. Don't very often hear of anyone getting their permit in under six months around here.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2005, 05:36:13 AM »
Took me four months and I stand by my recommendation...Check out packing.org...They tell you the same thing.  I also received this recommendation from a very good friend who is a detective in our local PD.  He handled my paperwork and then forwarded it to the county permit office.  I guess your county is a little different than mine...I live in Niagara but I have several friends who have permits in Erie County and they had to put down the same thing.  The Erie County Sheriffs Deputy that handled another friends paperwork advised him to not use self defense as a reason...He told him to use personal protection.  These cases and recommendations along with my personal expreience are what I based my recommendation upon.