Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 555 times)

Offline Stillhuntn

• Trade Count: (0)
One of those days
« on: October 07, 2004, 04:33:37 AM »
Have you ever had one of "those" days at the range?  Mine was the opposite of NRAJOE's.  Decided yesterday to spend an afternoon at the range.  Carried a couple long guns, 40 cal Glock and Model 57.  I wanted to decided upon which handgun to carry deer hunting.  The long guns went great.  The Glock needs help and the 41 Mag did me in.  
It is simply amazing what happens only the primer is propelling the bullet out of the cylinder.  Dropped the hammer on the first round.  Heard primer ignition, but no loud bang and no hole in the paper.  Here I was with four live rounds in the cylinder and a locked up gun.  It only goes down hill from here.  Started taking apart the pistol in an effort to remove the cylinder.  I was doing good until the other shooters dropped the hammer.  Talk about needing fresh clothing!  Lost the cylinder latch spring, cursed myself the entire time for not checking the case before seating the bullet and still no handgun for deer season.  Ended up driving the bullet into the case enough to allow for cylinder removal.  The gun went back together last night thanks to a donated spring from another N-frame S&W.  Maybe today will be a better day.
Moral of this rambling: When reloading ensure the case is properly charged.
Thought everyone would enjoy a little humor.  If you can't laugh at yourself you can you laugh at?[/i]
Lord, grant me the ability to speak soft words today for tomorrow
I may have to chew up and swallow these words.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
One of those days
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 05:28:18 AM »
Stillhuntn:  I've made that mistake enough embarrassing times before so that I hand charge every case now.  I was using a progressive reloader once that only charged every other case and I made the mistake of not checking (was tough to eyeball) every case before seating the bullets.  It should go without saying that I did not have a fun day that day and sat there looking at two full boxes of ammo wondering how many were not charge.  That was only after having to use a ramrod to get the bullets back into the cases afte the primer got them stuck between the chamber and the forcing cone.  I feel fer ya.......

Oh yeah, another moral of a similar story - never take your rifle, handgun or shotgun apart at the range - it will cost ya a spring er two, fer shore.  Been there and can't ever find those dang little springs, either.  LOL.  Mikey.

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
One of those days
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 05:57:16 AM »
I've done that a couple of times. It is why I pack range rods in the shooting bag. Brownells is where I got mine. The rods are close enough to bore diameter to not damage the rifling unlike cleaning rods or other improvised devices. Usually the bullet jumps just far enough to enter the forcing cone and lock the cylinder. A smart rap or two with a range rod will drive the bullet back to allow the cylinder to open. I've also been able to drive bullets out of semi-auto barrels for other shooters with them.

I use an older Dillon 550 progressive press. I sit up slightly higher than the machine so I can check powder charges after the rounds emerge from the charging station. However, small charges of fast burning powder in revolver cases can be difficult to check. It's better to go slow. I can still crank out 150-200 rounds per hour.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
One of those days
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 06:49:55 AM »
I have a strange little contribution here.  I was loading FMJ in my 454 to shoot at silhouettes, but apparently humidity got to one case.  I heard a plernk sound in there and I knew there was somethin' strange.  Thankfully, the power from the small rifle primer was enough to drive the bullet flush with the forcing cone of the barrel and mash the powder charge behind it into a "pellet" for lack of a better word.... What was really irritating though, was once I opened the cylinder (the column of powder was between the cylinder and the barrel; imagine having a 45 cal column composed of 30gr. H110 falling apart into your gun and all over the table! :evil:   A simple long, large bodied screw driver, carefully guided down to the bullet solved the problem.  I don't know how that happened but somehow the humidity affected just that one round, the first round, out of a box of 100.  It was an overcast day at the range when it happened, so, any better explanation out there?  Moral:  When it's cloudy, or more humid than usual, watch those cases!!!  Patriot

AND YES!!!!  When you load 230gr. FMJs at 1450 fps, it really knocks those steel targets around! ( Their av. distance is about 100-125 ft.)  I've had a couple fall off that way...But they mostly put a good dent into the steel. After a while of doing this baby (Ruger SRH 454) at those plates, they kindly asked me to just stick with the pistol, or more preferably, the rifle range.  I can understand that though, so don't scoff too much at them.  I also did get alot of questions about what caliber that was, as everybody always stated that thing looks like a 45 cal. flame thrower.
-Patriot

Offline Smokem

• Avid Poster
One of those days
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 01:54:05 AM »
When I first took my SRH .454 to the range I got many a strange looks when the gun went bang. People were coming over and asking "what caliber is that"? :lol:  I really enjoy shooting it.
Gun Control = Hitting your target.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
One of those days
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 07:11:48 AM »
Stillhuntin, that is exactly why I neutered my Turret Press to a single-stage.  Now I can check the whole tray full of shells for powder charges at the same time, and I sleep better because of it.  I thought I was the only guy who carried a soft iron rod in my shooting kit for pounding bullets back into the brass after they tie the gun up.  And why is it always one round that goes bad, instead of several?

If I ever catch one of those little Reloading Gremlims, he's gonna be one sorry little dude! :twisted:

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?