Author Topic: Bear Attack..........  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Bear Attack..........
« on: October 08, 2004, 01:58:11 PM »
Pulled this off the net.  Two Bear attacks in two weeks?  Something needs to be changed

By WHITNEY ROYSTER
Star-Tribune environmental reporter
JACKSON -- Weston Scott crept through the Bridger-Teton National Forest Sunday looking to flush out an elk. It was morning, just before 11.

In the flat, heavily timbered area, he heard a rustling. It was just 10 feet ahead behind some bushes. Scott said he was "kind of excited." He thought it was a big bull elk.

It wasn't. It was a 600-pound grizzly bear.

The first thing Scott saw was the bear's head, and it was coming at him. He drew up his rifle but managed only to get a shot off from about his hip when the bear was on top of him.

"I think it went right over his head," he said from his hospital room in Idaho Falls on Wednesday. "That was all I had time to do. He was on me after that."

As Scott, 32, fell to the ground, the bear bit him in the face. The animal took out four teeth on Scott's lower jaw and a one-inch portion of jawbone. Earlier reports in the Casper Star-Tribune incorrectly reported the nature of his injuries.

Scott later told his wife, Tammy, that he was "sure" he was dead when he saw the bear so close. He told her the bear made no sounds -- no grunting or growling.

"It was definitely coming after him to hurt him," she said. "It was coming at him with his mouth open."

She said her husband never said anything about pain, possibly because his adrenaline kicked in immediately.

"I can't imagine the absolute terror he must have experienced," she said.

Tammy Scott said after the bear bit her husband's face, the animal continued to knock him around.

"He's got surface wounds kind of everywhere" -- on his knees, side and back, she said. "Looking at him, you know he got rolled around by a bear."

The bear ultimately swung one last time at Scott, pushing him between two trees, and left.

Scott got up and ran out of the woods, about a quarter of a mile, he said. On his way out, he could see the bear still in the area. Officials say the animal was then killed by a hunting companion who said the bear was approaching him.

The attack happened in Hunt Area 83, an area called the Moccasin Basin near Dubois. He hunts there every year with family and friends. The Scotts have homes in Gillette and Laramie.

Tammy Scott said on Friday a member of the hunting party saw a bear. She said the group knows the area is grizzly bear country, and every year a gut pile or head will be dragged off by a bear.

"There are usually signs of bears around," she said. "They know they're there."

Her husband carries pepper spray, but he didn't have time to pull it out of the holster during the attack Sunday.

After Scott ran out of the woods, his friends called emergency dispatchers, and a helicopter came to the area within an hour and a half and took him to Idaho Falls.

Scott told his wife he doesn't intend to go back to the area to hunt. He is the second hunter to be mauled in less than two weeks in the northwest corner of the state. Wally Cash of Gillette was mauled Sept. 21 outside Moran.

"I don't think he will hunt in grizzly bear country again," Tammy Scott said. "One of the first things out of his mouth was, 'I don't ever want to feel like that again.'"

Environmental reporter Whitney Royster can be reached at (307) 734-0260 or at royster@trib.com.

Another good reason why people should not hunt alone in these types of areas.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Siskiyou

Bear Attack..........
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 04:15:23 PM »
Lawdog, another one for you.  This came off of (AP) This happen around the third of Sept. on the Angeles N.F. at the Chilao Campground.  A couple was awaken in the early morning hours by a bear getting into their ice chest.  While mom grabbed the young girls and ran for the car while Dad tried to distract the bear.  Dad was successful in providing a distraction.  The bear pinned Dad to a campground table in the process.  I guess Dad suffered some minor scratches.

Apparently the F&G is/was going to wack the bear.  The same bear had caused problems the week before.  

In the mean time the Chilao Campground and the Buckhorn Campground was closed to the public.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Lawdog

Bear Attack..........
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 06:59:28 AM »
Siskiyou,

It seems like every year there are fewer and fewer hunters in the woods and certain animals are loosing their fear of humans.  We got a big chocolate colored boar Black Bear around our parts that has taken to following people.  Tried for him last year but after the season opened we never saw hide nor hair of him until late last spring.  Trying for him again this year and hope to turn him into a rug for our grandson's bedroom.  I'm just surprised that there hasn't been more incidents with Black Bears in California considering their population is way up.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Bear Attack..........
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:46:30 AM »
We like to think we're at the top of the food chain but we're really not. A large caliber weapon evens things out but even then we may get eaten.  
I don't mess around in the nat'l parks where I can't pack iron or fly for the same reason.    Today we are supposed to take only broadside standing shots and we practice by shooting holes in stationary targets.   I grew up putting holes in game no matter if it was running, flying, swimming or sitting still.  I think instinctive shooting should be practiced more if someone is hunting in an area of dangerous game.  Thats just my opinion but I haven't been chewed on yet.
James

Offline crow_feather

Bear Attack..........
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »
The wolves released in the Yellowstone region compete for food with the bears, mountain lions, coyotes, and others.  When food gets low in the park, animals leave the park and hunt where the food is.  

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lawdog

Bear Attack..........
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 12:36:47 PM »
crow_feather,

True except for the Grizzly Bears.  Their food supply drives through the gates everyday.   :eek:   Lawdog

Offline crow_feather

Bear Attack..........
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 02:32:13 PM »
Lawdog,

That last one hurt!

(I laughed so hard, I fell off my chair)

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.