Author Topic: A few questions on ultra slug hunter deluxe  (Read 574 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A few questions on ultra slug hunter deluxe
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:43:44 PM »
Hello everyone, this looks like a nice forum, anyhow, I'm going to buy a new Ultra Slug Hunter Delux in a few days. I have a few questions though. Are these guns pretty durable? Are they reliable? is there anything that usually breaks on them? Also my gun  that i am going to be getting has the laminate stock, what is the real advantage of this? Is it stronger or weaker or what? I already have a pardner but i don't have any slug guns so this is going to be my first one, the reason i chose the Deluxe model was because it was on sale for $175.00 and I really like the looks of the laminate stock, also what sabot slugs should i try first? Are there any good cheaper slugs to look at first? Please respond to my questions... thank you very much! also, i was going to do the barrel accesory program thing and with my 12 ga. pardner i wanted to put a 12 ga heavy barrel on it, it didn't say that i could, also the 12 ga. heavy barrel is a lot bigger so do they put this barrel on the 10ga. frame?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
A few questions on ultra slug hunter delux
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 04:10:58 AM »
Welcome MIdeerhunter!

First things first, where did you find a Deluxe for $175.00? That is a steal at that price. Please PM me if you don't want to post the business. Do they have any 20ga guns for that price?

OK, now to your questions. These guns are very durable, reliable and VERY accurate. I have a 20ga and absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade mine for any other slug gun on the market. Before I forget, yes the Ultra 12ga is a 10ga blank bored to 12ga and is mounted on the 10ga frame.

As far as slugs, in my 20ga, there are several that shoot very well, but none of them are cheap. The Remington Ultra Core-Lokt, Winchester Partition Gold, Winchester Platinum Tips, Barnes/Federal (all copper), Remington Copper Solids and Lightfields all shoot very well in my 20ga. These all range between $7.99 and $11.99 a box of 5.

Depending on how far you intend to be shooting, if under 100yds, the Rottwiel Brenneke and other foster slugs have shot well. The only downside is they will lead up your barrel and that requires a good lead solvent, brass bore brush and a lot of elbow grease to remove.  The 2-3/4" 1oz Brenneke slugs are a harder lead (made for rifled and smooth bore guns) and will not lead up your bore as quickly, they also cut a hole due to the sharp rifled fins and leave a blood trail a blind man can follow. These slugs can be had for $1.99 to $3.99 a box of 5.

I shot a real nice 8 point last fall with the 20ga Remington Ultra Core-Lokt 260 grain and dropped him in his tracks. The bullet went through both shoulders and was found in a perfect mushroom under the hide on the far side. I couldn't ask for much more than that.

The 12ga bullets are all heavier, in the 385gr to 438gr (1 oz) range. I have shot the 12ga Remington Ultra Core-Lokt 385gr out of my 12ga autoloader, one ragged hole at 110yds but very brutal on the recoil end. With your 12ga USHD, I don't think that will be a problem since it weighs around 9lbs plus the weight of you scope.

Hope that helps a little and good luck with your new USHD!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:05:01 PM »
I have been told, but have not gotten around to trying it, that leading from the Forster type slugs can be reduced or eliminated by setting the shells upright in a loading block and applying a couple of drops of Liquid Alox to each nose, then allowing to dry a few days.

I know that LA prevents leading in my home brew slug loads when applied to the slug before assembly.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:21:10 AM »
best not to consider price as a factor when choosin sabot slugs--this is not a budget sport. if you want cheap, stick with a smoothbore and keep shots under 75yds. you'll need to try a few sabots out to see what your gun likes. dont forget lightfields,which shoot well in mine and are not quite as expensive as some.

when you examine the gun, check the triggers if they have more than one. some of these come with great triggers, others are pretty heavy, try to pck one with a lighter pull.