Author Topic: Prostrate with grief: don't try this at home. Ugh!  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Prostrate with grief: don't try this at home. Ugh!
« on: October 11, 2004, 04:59:40 AM »
I was shooting my favorite target auto the other day and got caught in a downpour. Being a complete idiot, I continued shooting until I couldn't see the target through the scope any more. I then took the gun home and cleaned it throughly and let the stuff in my shooting box dry out.  Next day, I find faint patches of rust on the outside of the barrel. It's unfinished, in the 1911 auto. This section of barrel was lubricated during the shooting, and it was less than an hour before I cleaned the barrel.  I didn't notice the rust at the bench but did notice it under incandescent light later.

Be careful with water around your guns. I can't believe how quickly this did damage.

Fortunately, it's inconsequential in this case because a little bronze wool fixed it right up, but the message is still a serious one.
Safety first

Offline Savage

Prostrate with grief: don't try this at hom
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 07:44:58 AM »
Know what you mean! One of my duty guns is a Kimber Stainless. It the course of my shift if it's raining, it's gonna get a little wet. I never leave my guns in the holster when they are not being carried. I try to check them and wipe them down at least once a week. I haven't had any problems with rust as of yet. The other guns I carry in a duty rig have the tennifer finish and seem to be about as rust resistant as the stainless. It's important to remember that even the stainless guns will rust under the proper conditions. If I get mine really wet, I either detail strip them and clean/relube or at least spray the internals out with brake parts cleaner and spray lube them with FP-10. The FP-10 seems to be about as good as it gets for protecting metal surfaces. Keep your powder------make that guns, dry!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 09:43:35 AM »
Savage:

I settled on FP10 too. It's great stuff. It was on this particular gun when it got wet, so the message is even clearer.
Safety first

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 11:55:49 AM »
Hot metal and water does not mix. Oxidation probably occurred while you were still shooting. Just a guess thoughÂ…

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 12:05:34 PM »
Start using Rem Oil and I bet you won't see anymore rusting problems, great for cleaning stainless steel, doesn't stain like other products.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »
Quote from: TOGO
Start using Rem Oil and I bet you won't see anymore rusting problems, great for cleaning stainless steel, doesn't stain like other products.

and youll start into the wonderful world of jam-o-matics.   rem oil is the worst lube i have ever crossed tracks with; and i have used alot.  if you want to see an otherwise reliable auto jam,  lube it with rem oil.   my favorites were hoppes #9,  breakfree (clp).  then i was turned on to fp-10.
    needless to say  i am sold.  this stuff performs.   those of you who havent tried it are missing out.

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 03:57:05 AM »
hmm.. Can't remember ever having a jam using Rem Oil. The reason I like Rem Oil is because it inbeds itself into the pores and repels water and dirt, I used CLP in the Marine Corps. Never cared for the fact that dirt and sand would stick to my rifle like a sugared dougnut, as a lube for moving parts it worked fine, never used FP-10 before, I guess I never saw it on the shelf.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:11:38 AM »
I like everything about rem oil, Except its smell,really stinky stuff;) for a hunter need to be sure to wipe the rem oil on way before season let the smell go away, I noticed the rem oil works really well on Remington's matt finish rifles, absorbs right in.,did a nice job on my 700 lifted surface rust I did not even see with my eye's. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:08:25 AM »
i am glad you guys had better experiences with it than i did.  my buddy used it on his remington shotgun.  damn thing jammed, jammed, and jammed.   so we cleaned it all off and re-lubed with hoppes #9.  no more problems.   he promply threw it out.

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 12:09:39 PM »
Hoppes makes a lubricant? Where have I been!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
any opinions on the following?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 01:34:04 PM »
I have used Rem Oil and it seems ok to me. My rifles (bolt and lever) often get seriously soaked during hunting season but I haven't had any evidence of gumming.

But of late I'm using Beeman MP 5 and Brichwood Casey's synthetic oil. Hunting in AK I like to keep my rifles nearly dry so if I hunt in real cold weather I don't have guns slowed or stopped by too much lubricant.

The MP 5 leaves a dry surface and is supposed to be very protective.  I've been out in light rains with my air rifles and no rust has shown yet.
Also using it on my Ruger M2 .22 pistol and Rem 700 stainless.

For my blued SW 57 I've been wiping down with the BC synthetic oil. Its pretty thick stuff but wiping it seems to leave a light film.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »
If memory serves me right I believe the remington auto shotguns were to be kept clean and DRY to function properly, excess oil of any brand was to cause problems. :D    JIM

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 07:05:05 PM »
I'll second what jhm just wrote, whether it's Remington's advise or not.  A buddy had a Rem. 30-06 semiauto rifle that would shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards, but only if it was meticulously cleaned.  In addition, there couldn't be a trace of oil visible (except in the lockwork) or it would fire once and jam.  Must be some pretty tight tolerances, to both shoot so well and yet be so finicky.  He did bag a nice deer every year, though!  He also made some really good deer sausage!  :-)

BTW, I LOVE Rem oil.  A dab behind each ear and I'm good to go!  :wink:

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?