Author Topic: Kel tec p32 vs. Beretta tomcat  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Kel tec p32 vs. Beretta tomcat
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:48:27 AM »
I am looking for a small 32 caliber pistol to carry in my pocket. What would be the better choice, a Kel tec p32 or Beretta tomcat? How do these pistols compare in accuracy, reliabiltiy, and performance? I know the beretta is heavier, but that don't bother me. They both are comfortable in my hands. I just need to know what one is a better performer. Thanks

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:10:46 AM »
Terry1,
Not only is the Tomcat heavier it is also considerably thicker. It may feel good in your hand, but won't carry as comfortably as the lighter, thinner P-32. The Tomcat is a blowback design, while the P-32 fires from a locked breach. This translates into less felt recoil in a lighter package.
My wife and I carried P-32s for years. I traded mine for a P-3AT (380), and then bought another one. I currently carry one of the two 380s and my wife continues to carry her P-32. In my opinion these little guns are a whale of a buy! As far as accuracy goes, I qualified one of my P-3ATs as a BUG, shooting 462/500. That was good enough to beat all but one of the S&W mdl 60s in the BUG qualifications!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:18:17 AM »
I and my wife both have P-32s.  The sights are very poor being intended for close shooting only but are easy to pick up quickly.  I have always said I would not keep a gun that I could not dependably hit a bunny at 15yds with.  The groups are good but bullet placement is low and left from the minimal sights.  I've thought about having real sights installed but there is not much meat to the slide and it would have to be welded up, so that is not really an option.  I love it for what it is.  A very light (don't even know it is in your pocket) handy, last ditch backup.  It has been 100% dependable for me and I would recommend it to anyone thinking about a .32.  Everything else feels heavy and chunky after owning a p-32.  I have no experience with the Beretta.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:19:33 PM »
I agree with 44 Man. Poor sights, shoots low, but decent groups. I have the .380 version P3AT instead of the .32. Not a gun you would want to shoot all day at the range, but very controllable. I got rid of a Beretta and got the Kel-Tec. Great pocket gun, never even know it is there. Mine has been 100% reliable with full metal jacket and SXT's. Beretta is just too big to stuff in a pants pocket. OK for jackets and the like.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:57:34 AM »
I've had a P32 for quite a while now, and it's been completely reliable with all of the ammunition that I've tried (except for a bad batch of silver tips that should never have left the factory-can't blame the gun for that).
NRA life member

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 04:20:59 PM »
Are you guys comfortable with the kel-tec dao without a safety? I guess I am just a little scared of stuffing a pistol that doesn't have a safety or hammer into my pockets. Would someone talk to me about this safety issue? I am looking at a 380 kel-tec and this is what is holding me back.

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 04:56:25 PM »
gwhilikerz-

I'm absolutely comfortable carrying the P32 in my pocket.  First of all, it takes a long, deliberate pull to complete the trigger pull, just like a double action revolver.  Second, I carry mine in a R. J. Hedley pocket holster, which does an excellent job of covering the trigger, while keeping the pistol in the correct position for a draw.  It's invisible inside the right front pockets of my baggy shorts and pants.  

In my early carrying days, I often carried a j-frame revolver, sans holster, in my coat pocket.  I wouldn't do it now, largely because of the pocket lint that builds up in an unprotected pocket gun (at least in my filthy old coat pockets).  Anyway, I never thought of it as being an especially dangerous way to pack the revolver, and it allowed me to have an unseen hand on the gun when trouble seemed likely.  You can't shoot a semi auto inside a pocket, at least not more than once, so you might as well figure on keeping it holstered.
NRA life member

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 12:58:43 AM »
Quote from: gwhilikerz
Are you guys comfortable with the kel-tec dao without a safety? I guess I am just a little scared of stuffing a pistol that doesn't have a safety or hammer into my pockets. Would someone talk to me about this safety issue? I am looking at a 380 kel-tec and this is what is holding me back.

Gwhilikerz ( like that handle :grin: ) the Kel-Tecs do have a hammer. It is in a down and blocked position until the trigger is pulled all the way back. When you pull the trigger the hammer comes back to full cock then falls, when the slide cycles the hammer is returned to its half cock and blocked position. In my opinion it is as safe as any Glock or modern double action revolver. I am very confident and comfortable with mine in my right front pocket. Great little gun for its intended purpose but mine does shoot a little low also, but this is a point and shoot belly gun and never intended for target work although mine does hold a decent group.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 05:28:53 AM »
thanks leverfan and twodollarpistol. I was wondering about the best way to carry a dao auto in my pocket/waistband.  I carry a 38 snubby with barami grips that are the most comfortable thing I have found for waistband carry.  Even with the snubby when I stuff the gun into my pocket or waist I have my thumb behind the hammer to prevent accidental discharge. I have been thinking about the kel-tec or other small auto for quite a while.  LOL if it ain't a revolver or 1911 I don't know much about it.

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 05:45:43 PM »
Quote from: gwhilikerz
I carry a 38 snubby with barami grips that are the most comfortable thing I have found for waistband carry.

Kel Tec will be happy to sell you a little clip that allows you to hang the 32 or the 380 directly on your waistband.  It will take about a minute to install.  I prefer a holster, myself, and I use a small nylon one for IWB carry.
NRA life member

Offline Virginia Yank

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 05:36:03 AM »
I have have KelTec P-3AT.  Some work well out of the box some (mine included) require tinkering to operate reliably.  Despite my initial problems with it I still feel that it has no competitors with regards to concealability and ease of carry.  Same with the P-32.  There is an aftermarket rear sight called the P-Sight that vastly improves accuracy and pretty much corrects the tendency to shoot low and to the left. It's available on line at www.psenhancements.com for $29.
Virginia Yank