Author Topic: No knockdown for the 45 70  (Read 3044 times)

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
No knockdown for the 45 70
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 06:58:29 AM »
y'all ever tried maybe a speed-demon bullet and smack through the spine of a piggy? or maybe the same with the big bullets? just a blind thought of mine never really hunted pig. Leaves little room for error with a speed gonzales of a bullet, hit low and he'll run like crazy for a good distance right? perhaps a .30 cal could be a mix of speed, accuracy, and knockdown?
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline FirstFreedom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:44 AM »
So you're up in northwestern Bryan county, near the borders of both Marshall & Johnston counties?  I ask because this feral hog distribution map does show hogs being in south-central Johnston, but not really in Bryan.  The accuracy or inaccuracy of the map is of particular interest to me, since I'm trying to figure out whether or not there may be hogs on my land in Okfuskee county, notwithstanding the fact that the neighbors there never see any (but they do 10-15 miles down the road, at the Deep Fork WMA area), and I don't see any unmistakable sign of them.  Yet, *something* roots up the ground when I bury corn each time.  But that map shows them over in central Lincoln county, but not in deep fork, which is in far southern Creek & far northern Okfuskee.  So clearly the hogs are expanded beyond the date of that map - the question is, how far expanded:

http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/FeralHogs/03-Current.htm

PS.  Glad the hog was found - better late than never...so the tusks weren't not able to be kept by you?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »
First Freedom,the hogs are all over Bryan county,but you shoot into them 1 time and they're gone for 2 months.Sometimes a group of pigs will come off the refuge that has never been shot into and they'll stay around for a wk. or 2. They love to stay in the thickest thickets they can find,and they only feed at night in the place I hunt. The boars are on the move constantly looking for sow's,and you can see them anytime of the day or night if you're in the right spot at the right time. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Hogs in Ok.
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 02:07:54 PM »
First Freedom The map showed light hogs in chactow co.
 I just sold a place up there, in the last year they rooted
 all of the place up and a neigbors. I was only able to
 kill one. They came out at night. Mostly open pasture.
 Marv.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »
Digger

Would have thought a 300gr bullet go clean through a hog with 1500ft/lbs. at 160 yrds. The shot had to be too far back. But then with that much blood spilling it had to be in the lung or liver area?????

In goose hunting we shout shoot for the head, I would think that would also work for hogs.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »
Fred,I may have hit a little far forward because the tracks indicated he was'nt using the off front leg hardly any.I've learned since then to shoot for  the upper part of the body,and it usually knocks them down.This hog stood at least 36" at the shoulder and would have weighed at least 450 pds.I got to watch him for awhile and he acted like he was King Kong or something similar,and was 10 ft. tall and bullet proof.  Digger

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 07:06:21 PM »
Digger

I would love to hunt one of those hogs. Did one time in Hawaii with dogs but the best dog got ripped up and had to be put down and the hog got away. Had a 44Mag leaver action from the guide. He wanted me to use a lance to kill the pig. He did not like to use a gun, because of the dogs.

Its a blood a gory affair.

I think you need to get that rifle to group a bit better if you need to shoot at 160 yards since shot placement is so important. I think your 300Wby with a shot in the head would dropped him in his tracks. I shot a 300 Wby for 25years can't remember anything ever walked away from it. It is a great rifle. Had to quit using it because of a shoulder operation.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2005, 10:25:35 AM »
Fred, I shot a 250 pd. sow once with the 300 Wby. and took the heart and lungs out a 5" exit hole. The sow kept on troting along like nothing had happened until she fell dead 80 yds later. I also shot a small pig (20 pds.) with a 444 at 70 yds. with the pig in the air (jumping a road) and he landed on his feet like nothing had happened.I found him 60 yds. later with a 2" exit hole behind the shoulder that left a 6' wide blood trail. You would have had to be there to believe that this little pig could have done this.  Digger

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 04:20:56 PM »
Maybe a hog anatomy refresher will help next time..... :wink:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 05:21:36 PM »
I've always said that death isn't an exact science.  A .22 rimfire may kill a critter with one shot, instant death..  ...but shoot a matching critter of same size and location with a howitzer and it walks away..   well maybe not a howitzer, but you get what I'm trying to say.

My cousin shot his first buck with a .222, it pretty much died on the spot.  That same season I got a smaller doe with my .270, hit it just about the same location-I ended up tracking mine for about 100 yards.  ...go figure.  My uncle has blown whole limbs off deer with his 300 Win Mag and they kept going.

Bullets aren't instant death rays, dispite what anti-gun people think.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2005, 07:40:32 PM »
Quote from: missed_shot
I've killed several hogs with my BC using 405 grain Rem bullets. They have the power to do the job.  Your nose will find that hog after a few days. I'd be curious as to where it was hit.

The differance is the bullet used.  The Remington 405-gr acts entirely differant than a Hornady. Speer or Siera.  Don't ask me why but they do.  The first one of course is a Remington 405-gr before and after:

I heard of others having the same problem with bullets not working well in loads like the Winchest 300 gr. Super-X® JHP

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2005, 08:04:47 PM »
I thought I would pass this your way.  I found this tonight while I couldn't sleep over at HuntAmerica in the hog forum.

Teaching pigs the Texas break dance with a 45-70

I PM'd him to find out what bullet he is using in his 45-70.

I sure wish we had BIG PORKERS here in Montana

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 04:18:46 AM »
LMAO!  I had a couple piggies do that to me down in FL.  

I was like  "what in the world?!", "No wonder they run off like rocket powered cheetah if you dont hit them just right."  "Their legs just kick like crazy, dead or alive."
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07