Author Topic: My biggest mule deer  (Read 674 times)

Offline mcrae555

• Trade Count: (0)
My biggest mule deer
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:01:40 AM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/mcrae555/Picture094.jpg

Hi Fella's

My wife and I hiked into a vechicle restricted road closure about 10kms and took this nice buck.  He is a 7x5 and hanging on the meat hook at the meat cutters minus hide,antlers,and head he still weighed 175lbs.  It was an awsome day.

McRae

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
My biggest mule deer
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 05:14:09 AM »
Nice deer you got there, Dame those mulies get big;) Nice rack, congrats.
Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
My biggest mule deer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 06:01:21 AM »
good god what a monster.

What state was that in?

Heheh, it makes me excited to go hunt our crappy blacktail/mulie crosses we have here.

Offline mcrae555

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 06:28:24 AM »
Sorry its a good old Canadian Mulie.  I live in Southern British Columbia and we have some big deer and elk in my area!  I was fortunate enough to get one of the nicer ones.  A fella was hunting the same area on the same day and got a nice 4x4 Mule deer.  We used his game cart to get both deer out it was quite the load!

McRae

Offline jhm

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:42:20 AM »
Yes I would say it is a wonderful deer, congradulations keep up the good work. :D    JIM

Offline HipShot

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:49:55 AM »
Is there a story involved? What did you use at what range? Where did you shoot him? How far did he go?

It's not deer season here yet, I'm doing the vicarious thing for a few more weeks.  :grin:

Offline mcrae555

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 04:40:02 AM »
Well the story started at the usual time of 4am.  We have a really nice area that is only 15 minutes from home.  The area is vechicle restricted so this keeps out the trucks.  It is about an 8km walk in to the best spots.  My wife and I went in at five and slowly walked the edges of the timber.  It was around 8:30 when I saw this big bodied deer moving near the top of the cut.  I put the bino's on him and realized he was a good buck!  I put the crosshairs behind his shoulders and squeezed the trigger.  The bullet hit the lungs and dropped him in his tracks.  I was using a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS in 30/06 teamed with handloaded 165 grain Hornady Interlocks.  I ranged finded the distance after the fact at 182 yards(I always forget I have the thing in the excitement).  Another fella nailed a nice 4x4 mulie on the same morning so we teamed up and used his game cart to get both deer out whole.  My buck was 175lbs hanging on the hook at the meat cutters.  This was minus hide,head,and antlers.  I was happy as hell because that deer is big enough to feed us for the year!

Offline HipShot

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks for the detail. That's a great trophy. Your shot is easily twice as far as anything around here; in most cases, it'd be thrice the shot.

Now that your freezer is full, you can fill up the freezer at your local food bank.

:grin:

Offline JPSaxMan

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:36:21 AM »
HOLY ****. Nice deer!! That's a biggun right there. Any chance of a Boone and Crockett? Yea...u can start passin some of that muley jerky over this way now!  :-D  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Dusty Miller

My biggest mule deer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 08:48:36 PM »
As grandpa might of said, "You done good boy, you done good"!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!