Author Topic: Scope Ring Questions  (Read 447 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scope Ring Questions
« on: October 14, 2004, 06:13:56 PM »
Hello everyone, i recently went to a sporting goods store to buy a new scope for my Tracker II plus (ultra slug hunter) I got a bushnell sportview 1.5-4x, it was originally $79.99, it had no box so the man sold it to me for $49.99, is this a good deal?  Also i figured i didn't want to screw around exchanging mounts until i found one the right height so i went and bought a see-thru mount for the weaver base, there is plenty of height, i can almost fit my thumb between the hammer spur and the scope bell, it is pretty tight and it won't go in all the way... my question is, is see thru mounts all that bad for this gun? Am i still going to get fairly good accuracy out of the gun (with the shooters help...lol)
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Scope Ring Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:46:02 AM »
MIdeerhunter,
    I much prefer a lower mount and avoid see thrus entirely.  Several years ago I watched a gunshop owner convince a shooter not to buy see thrus by taking a rifle/scope mounted with them and twist the scope about 1/8 of an inch lateraly by hand.  He was going to replace the mounts anyhow with lower solid mounts.  Regarding scope clearence an inch is as good as a mile, I use low or medium mounts and have trimmed the hammer to even with the hammer extension and have no problems. On the three barrels that have scopes none has more than 1/8 inch clearence.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Scope Ring Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 06:13:42 AM »
i see no use in the see throughs at all as there are no iron sights on this gun to be used "see through". i would go with the lowest mount that clears the scope from the hammer. the scope you have chosen is a relatively small scope, so you should be able to use a medium height ring. i have experienced problems with low rings myself and doubt they will fit without modification. if the low mounts do fit, though, they would be even better. i personally like the leupold rifleman rings which are very strong and inexpensive.

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
Scope Ring Questions
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:16:45 AM »
I bought the leopold rifleman high mounts today, they give me enough clearance and look good, i have prb a 3/8 of an inch between the hammer spur and scope bell, are these better mounts? Also i shot the gun for the first time today, that was really fun, i sighted it in pretty good with just 5 shots, the last 3 were sighted in and 2 or the 3 mad a big hole and the 3 one ( i fliched) was about an 1 away from the others but they were all in the kill zone that i drew
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Scope Ring Questions
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:33:33 AM »
i have the rifleman rings on my ultra slug, my tracker 2, my turkey special and my encore. they are excellent rings. sounds like you have a good set up. good luck with the upcoming season.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Scope Ring Questions
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 07:20:08 AM »
I set my Ultra Slugger up with Millett High rings...Works good for me.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense