Author Topic: LEOs, What Caliber Do You Trust Most?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
LEOs, What Caliber Do You Trust Most?
« on: October 15, 2004, 01:21:03 PM »
Good day all.  I wanted to have an opinion on what caliber/cartridge many LEOs prefer most and why.  I didn't want to do a poll as I believe there are too many different possible calibers, and I may forget one or two.  Thanks for any responses. :D  Patriot
-Patriot

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:34:07 PM »
I think if the right bullet/ammo is selected and tested in the gun and you are proffcient with that gun and load any of the major calibers can be good.

With that said  :wink:   I am issued the .40S&W Gold Dot 180 grain load by Speer for my Glock 22.  I really like this load and it has been tested by many departments and in actual shootings.  I also carry this load in my off duty Glock 27.

If I had to pick a second choice I would go with the .45acp in a 230 grain loading.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 04:04:20 AM »
In a lot of agencies, the caliber and round are issued, and that's what you carry. Best you can do is become as proficient with it as you can. I have a choice, and choose to carry the 45. Why? Because it has earned my trust! I wouldn't feel unarmed if I had to carry a 40 with the heavier weight bullets.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »
All the local departments carry Glock's in .40 S&W so I siiued them to my men.  But this last year I issued Glock .45's to all my men.  I also carry a 6" Les Baer Premier II in .45 as my off duty weapon.  Another vote for the .45 acp.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline FogOfWar

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »
Hello to you all.  I am a LEO and I too carry an issue weapon.  I am blessed with a great department which has a very progressive Sheriff and Firearms Instructor.  While we carry our issue Glock 23 with Gold Dot 165gr's we are allowed to carry most any firearm off duty and as back-up.  Granted we qualify with it and it meets certain criteria, i.e. the caliber is large enough and it isn't a POS weapon but one from a reputable manufacturer.

With that said I carry a Glock 27 off duty and as my BUG.  Now caliber isn't really a concern to me as I am a big believer in the .40.  I am more concerned with the action / functioning of my BUG than caliber.  In a stressful situation you will revert to your training, and I like having two weapons which function exactly the same.  With copious amounts of training with both weapons I use the same weapon system so I might free the mind for other tasks at hand.

And with that in mind I also prefer a long gun to any sidearm if the situation permits.  I also prefer the AR-15 platform as I have intimate knowledge of how it operates, ( ex-paratrooper ).

So to answer your question, I like red-heads.

Stay safe and practice like your life depended on it, because if the feces ever hits the oscillating wind machine you have only yourself to blame for not being as ready as you can be.
"All that is necessary for evil to Triumph, is for Good men to do Nothing...."
"In Valor there is Hope....."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:52:04 AM »
Given the incredible advances in bullet design of the last 30 years, caliber is a lot less important than it used to be.  Still, the logic remains that a bigger bullet hits harder, digs deeper, and has the potential to do more damage.  But only if you can place it well!  While I am limited by local ordinance to a 38 revolver, I feel adequately armed, because I carry good ammo.  Personally, I'd rather carry my EAA Witness in 40 caliber because I shoot it better, it holds more ammo, and I can reload it faster.  Still, the Model Ten S&W I wear is a lot better than nothing, and I practice enough to feel competant with it.  

Having said all that, if I knew I was going to be in a Dark Place, I'd be carrying all the ordnance I could, with an AR-15 and a shotgun close at hand!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:02:39 PM »
S&W Model 19. 38 158 gr. SWC by choice.

Offline Nanuk

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 05:59:55 PM »
My favorite carry load was a 357 magnum 145grn STHP. I carry that in my 360PD and carried it on duty when I carried a wheel gun. Now on duty I carry a 155grn JHP .40 S&W in an H&K USP/C. I frequently carry my S&W 44 mag with federal 180's off duty these days. I have seen alot of shootings,  I carry what I shoot best with off duty, on duty I carry what I have to. As previously posted a good rifle or shotgun is better.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
I used to have a choice........
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:46:56 AM »
:cry:    ....then a brilliant genius took away our "right to choose" and shoved full-size Glock 22's down our thoats at the cost of millions to the U.S. taxpayer.   I used to carry the Glock 32 using Speer 125 grain Gold Dot Hps.  Now its either the Speer 165 Gold Dot or the Winchester Supreme Expansion Talon (Black Talon, but that's politically incorrect to say) in 165 (I think its the 165, I stick with the Speer).  If I wore a uniform again  I'd be happy with the full size Glock in either .40 or  .45 ACP.

RR

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 07:38:58 AM »
When I was a LEO my choice was .357Mag loaded with Federal 125gr.

Regardless of caliber you pick bullet selection is just as important!

I really like the Gold Dots now especially in .45ACP+P.

I have no use for 9mm or .38 Special, lukewarm to .40S&W.

Sad that 10mm didn't catch on.  Too many recoil sensitive shooters out there.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 07:52:21 AM »
My current Duty gun is the sig 226 in 9mm loaded with win sxt  124+p+ and has a proven history of being an incredibile stopper! nothing wrong with it!  or that load i also have carried the sig 220 in 45 on duty as well it makesm no matter to me what caliber as long as i can hit what iam aiming at!

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 08:54:53 AM »
45 acp without hesitation,in the Colt 1911's,I now carry a CGP,after many years with a "Bob Chowed" 1911.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 09:22:19 AM »
i just came off an job that  i was carrying a my wilson combat and a ted yost custom officers as a second

Offline RWH24

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 12:19:06 AM »
For 12 years we were issued and carried Sig P-226 in 9mm. Loaded with Speer 115gr +P+ Gold Dots.
We just traded with Sig for the P-226 DAK in 357 Sig shooting 125gr G/D

I was very comfortable with the first Sig, and my off duty is a Sig P-239 in 9mm w/ the same +P+ 115gr G/D.

If our LEO's were more serous about their guns I would reccomend the Sig GSR, Kimber, or 1911 variant. All are not gun "NUTS" so I would not place a "Cocked and Locked" gun in their hands. :wink: