Author Topic: Any advice for a first time deer hunter?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Any advice for a first time deer hunter?
« on: October 15, 2004, 04:38:55 PM »
Well I am finally going to go deer hunting at the age of 34. I will be hunting on 100 acres in Northern Maine with a family friend on family property.

I have never shot at a living thing before in my life. Grew up in a suburb in a family that never hunted and actually discouraged it.

It is only in recent years that I have become "aware" that things may not only go well in life. I have taken it upon myself to learn how to become more self sufficient.

Started canning, obtained my CWP and hunter safety class and I am reading more books about being prepared.

Have lived in a cubicle at work for way too long with my head in the sand!

I will be hunting with an Ithaca 87 Deerslayer with a rifled barrel and a Nikon Prostaff scope. There have been several pathways cut through the property, so the max I will shoot at is 60 yards.

Could you guys give me any advice?

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 05:15:25 PM »
Practice,... practice,.... PRACTICE!!!   :gun4:  :yeah:

Be sure you know your limitations,... as well as your weapons!  :wink:
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 07:28:26 PM »
You're about to enter a world of pleasures you never knew existed. You will get to know nature's wonders first hand, and you will make your own soul better for it.

Be prepared for your hunt, with practice, careful planning, and such details, but don't let the hunt be about the mechanics, the technical details, or the act of killing, but rather the experience itself. Allow yourself to become mesmerized by that first sunrise in the woods chasing a worthy animal. Notice the bird songs, the undulating tempo of the wind, the impassioned play of the squirrel, the changing canvas of nature as the sun courses the sky, and the ghostly movements of the wary whitetail deer. Watch the fabric of life weave itself before your eyes, and feel your kinship with it grow in your soul.

There is a humble, awesome, kind, and reverent peace among the trees and stones, sunlight and clouds, snowflakes and dewdrops. Listen, watch, feel, and become a part of something greater than yourself, greater even than the whole of humanity, that speaks in moments and events fleeting and simple, yet profound and spiritually wholesome. Enjoy this and cherish it as one of life's greatest gifts.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 11:19:13 PM »
Huntsman,

WOW, that is a beautiful description of the experience!
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 01:29:34 AM »
Best advice is to be persistant.  You may very well go your first year of hunting seeing nothing at all, but dont give up.   Just learn to be real quiet in the woods (something Ive found quite a lot of average hunters have YET to master) and move very slow.  Most average hunters treat deer hunting like its a foot race to the end of the season.  Just stay calm, relaxed.......and oh yeah, if you plan on doing a lot of sitting then you will want a cushon/pad or something like a turkey chair.  Good luck in your endeavour.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 02:53:33 AM »
Get a deer size paper target like the bow hunters use and practice placing your shot. It's not uncommon for a new hunter to aim for center of mass instead of the proper kill zone. Even though I had hunted deer for several years with a scoped rifle when I started handgun hunting I had to practice with a deer target to break my habit of aiming for center mass using open sights.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 03:28:50 AM »
Ridge runner :  The best thing is to enjoy every moment and to be SAFE as already been stated it will be one of the most enjoyable experiences in you life and some of the most frustrating also but dont let the frustrating part overwelm you, learn something daily and keep it with you forever, good luck  :D    JIM

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 03:43:00 AM »
PA Ridge Runner,

Good for you !! You have made an excellent choice to get involved in what is likely the oldest task of the human race, hunting.

Hunting is more than killing an animal for me. Its just great to be out in the woods and have the experience of hunting and thinking about what it may have been like to HAVE to this to survive. Keeping this in perspective keeps me "grounded" in so many ways. And of course there are the great times at hunting camp with the other folks. Quite honestly, I could care less if I kill an animal. Just as long as I enjoyed the time in the woods and time I spent with others at camp is all I need. Don't get me wrong, I work hard to shoot at an animal, but if it does not work out, so be it. Keep this important point in perspective and you will have a great time.

Best of luck
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
As the rest of these gentlemen indicated already but I'll say it again for good cheer: Good for you. If you get lucky this year you will experience something that your cubicle comrades will never experience. Another tip of advice I have to offer is to learn how to field dress the deer. I can only tell you two things about that (because the rest is hands on :wink: ); try not to cut the bladder or the stomach. Both can contaminate the meat, making it taste gamier than it already is. Other than that everything else was mentioned. Oh yea...make sure you identify your target before shooting. If you don't have a doe tag or if you already filled your buck tag don't shoot the wrong deer. Something funny to laugh at to read it but when the warden is summoning you b/c of a mistake kill, it won't be so funny.  :wink:  Good luck and take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 03:53:29 PM »
Well-said, Huntsman... WELL-SAID!!!    :-)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 06:26:18 PM »
If you consider yourself a real novice mabey picking up a book or two from the library might help. There was a book called "The Deer Hunters Bible" or "The Big Game Hunters Bible". They contain the general nuts and bolts like how to field dress the deer, where to shoot, hunting methods and tactice. Another good book that is out of print but common is the Complete Book of Hunitng by Ormond. This book is sort of dated, but has a lot of info on all kinds of hunting. Reading about the basics, not from a magazine that will fill you up on the latest gizoms and experimental tactics, will give you a better chance of success in the field. Better than that is going out with somebody who knows how and have them guide you. Still, the books can even tell you tricks and tips that they might not be aware of. Learn all you can, and have fun.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline TXSURVEYOR

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 05:03:23 AM »
1) Always hunt into the wind, keep it in your face if possible

2) Stay in the shadows if possible

3) Never hurry

4) Relax

5) take it all in

6) Have a plan if you shoot a deer (after I field dress it how am I going to
load it up, do I know a good butcher that will take it, when can I drop it off) things like that.

7) someone said it already get a good book

8) Safety, not just the firearm part. Think about these things:
   If I trip or fall and get hurt how long will I lay here. HYPOTHERMIA.
   While dressing a deer always cut away from you, every year at least
   one hunter cuts himself doing this.

Have fun and be safe!!!!!

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 02:00:22 PM »
Ridge Runner,
You got a lot of good advice.
a few things that have not been mentioned

1) whit for a shot. Do not rush to shoot the deer when you see it.
Let it get as close to you as you can and make sure you have a clean shot.

2) get out in the woods and learn your way around. it is easy to get turned around even on 100 acres and you could find your self walking for hours to find you have gone no place.

3) let a lot of people know where you are hunting at and what time you will be in, if you can leave a "hunting plain" on the dash of your truck this should include the location of your hunting spot time you are due in , cell phone number

4) take the tube out of a roll of T.P. and carry it with you. If you should have to track a deer that you shot. You will tie a strip of the T.P. at the spot of the blood. this will give you an idea of the direction the deer ran and if you get turned around you can find your way back.  the T.P. will be gone with the first good rain so you don't have to worry about following an old trail.

5) carry some fruit, candy and water (for me it is soda)

6) know where everyone will be hunting and make sure you have some Orange on so you could be seen.

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 04:54:44 AM »
I'll add one more thing. Enjoy your time in the woods and don't be discouraged if you don't harvest a deer your first time out. To me, harvesting an animal is third in line with safety being NUMERO UNO, enjoying the outdoors (before it gets converted into yet another subdivision).

Sounds like you are going about things in the right way. One last item is, if you are not sure of the shot, don't take it. The name of the game is safety and humanely harvesting an animal. If I can't fulfill both, I pass on the shot.

Safe shooting and welcome to the sport.