Author Topic: Got a look at one of the Spartans today.  (Read 552 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Got a look at one of the Spartans today.
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:24:13 PM »
Well I had a pretty busy day today.....sold a Mossberg 500 and a trolling motor to the Pawn shops and went and bought a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard (see thread Wally World goof up in the CF section) but afterwards I returned with my wife and daughter and while they shopped I walked back to Sporting Goods and was talking to the clerk and noticed a 12 gauge Spartan SPR100 single shot in the case. (See thread double barreled shotguns this forum). Got it out and handled it. Wood is really nice but only comparable to the NEF wood....could use about 6 coats of Tru-Oil but pretty nice all in all. The foreend release looked pretty simple to operate and the gun shouldered real nice, but.......that dang barrel release didn't let the barrel go very easily and in fact I had to force the barrel to break over. It then didn't want to lock back either. Could have just been this particular gun but I can tell ya that I sure don't like that release lever being as big as it is(about 2 1/2" long) and protruding from the backside of the trigger guard. I'm afraid it would reallty get in my way. The gun was priced exactly the same as the Pardners tho so who knows, they may be a good seller but I don't know if I'd want one or not.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline yukonjim

• Trade Count: (1)
Got a look at one of the Spartans today.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 02:33:58 PM »
Just some info for you.  The Spartan SPR100 single shot being sold by Remington is the same gun being marketed by EaaCorp as the Baikal IZH-18.  Here is their website: http://www.eaacorp.com/index.shtml  Both are made in Russia.  Same gun different name.  I bought the 12 gauge Baikal IZH-18 Sporting which is their single shot trap model.  It came with 3 scew in chokes, ventilated rib, ported barrel and Monte Carlo style stock.  It was very stiff when I got it.  Took it apart and greased the trigger, sear, latch etc, moving parts as they were dry.  Also greased the hinge, extractor and where the barrel goes into the receiver.  Took a Arkansas stone to the bottom edge of the extractor and rounded the sharp corner.  It was still stiff on opening and closing.  Have shot about 600 rounds through it at the trap range so far and it is starting to loosen up.  It is a very well made and a great shooter.  Not a Browing BT-99 or a Ludik but sure breaks enough clays for me.  Plus I could afford it.  Baikal also makes a O/U in both field and sporting models.  Once you get use to the lease behind the trigger it really works slick.  Just seems natural now to me.  Also I like the selector just ahead of the trigger which selects either to just pust the shell out or eject it accross the room.  Sure keeps me from having to pick up the emptys at the range.

yukonjim