Author Topic: been given a 45 kentucky pistol  (Read 520 times)

Offline longshotmiller1

• Trade Count: (0)
been given a 45 kentucky pistol
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:11:38 AM »
hi guys after i made the post on the cva kentucky pistol looking for parts i was given another one from my future step dad. he is a great guy. bad thing is i dont have alot of loading data. i know between 20 and 40 grains tripple f is ok. but would like to know some velocities and maybe a pet load for one. im in iowa and hunting deer with one is legal here. if anyone has load data id like to have some. thanks guys

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 05:31:28 PM »
You'll need to be sure of the state minimum requirements for a hunting
pistol. There is usually a minimum bore specification and sometimes a barrel length is stipulated. Of real concern to me would be developing enough energy for a clean kill with a .440-.445 ball in such a short barrel.
It's going to be hard to get over 1300 fps out of a 9 or 10 inch barrel and that isn't going to give you much over 500ft. lbs. of stopping power at the muzzle. This may be a case where a sabot or some such elongated projectile is be your best bet. Just how stout is the pistol built?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline longshotmiller1

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 04:43:00 AM »
well filmokentucky like i said iowa says its legal. they say minimum 4 inch barrel and 44 cal. this would make my traditions 1851 44 legal for deer here. this kentucky is in great shape one of the percussion replicas. as for me hunting with it i want some balistics data before i decide for sure. my 1851 44 has about the same balistics as a 38 specail so no i wouldnt hunt deer with it. im just curious what the balistics are on this kentucky.