Author Topic: Who is the cheapest online ammo source?  (Read 516 times)

Offline johne

• Trade Count: (0)
Who is the cheapest online ammo source?
« on: October 18, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »
I am new to the handgun hobby and with all of the resources out there for ammo and supplies, I just don't know. I bought the Sig P229 locally and found the lasermax for 309.00 which I thought was pretty cheap and I have also bought a thunderwear holster. Now for ammo. I haven't found any good articles that discusss what difference the grain count makes and what makes a +P load versus an FMJ. Just a real newb and need some education. I will be shooting a lot at the range for awhile so price on is a consideration. Ironically, while looking for ammo online I came across this Wolf brand but when I did further searches on that specific ammo, there were some unfavorable comments made. So, to summarize, I need:

a) information on loads
b) recommendations of ammo manufacturers
c) recommendation of a cheap place to buy ammo online

Thanks in advance :P

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:26 PM »
Cheaper Than Dirt has good prices, but you have to pay additional shipping. Ammoman.com has pretty good prices and shipping is included. For plinking and/or getting familiar with your pistol, Winchester white box, UMC yellow box and Sellier & Bellot are good. Some folks don't like the S&B, but I have shot a ton of it and never had a problem. Enjoy your new toy. :-)  :-)
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 03:40:58 AM »
johne:  I will go with greenjeans and his recommendation for Sellier and Bellot ammo.  It is new production, brass cased and reloadable.  Even if you do not reload, yet, S&B is a good buy.

Not being too familiar with the Sig numerical designations I am going to assume that the 229 is a 9mm.  The difference in grain weight runs from 95 grains to about 160 grains in the 9mm.  The average weight bullet for the 9mm is between 115 and 125 grains.  Most 9mm ammo is jacketed for feeding reliability.  Military ball ammo is fully metal jacketed.  Plus P ammo is rated at a higher pressure (hence, plus P) and shoots a (most often lighter weight) bullet at faster velocities.  

Some plus P ammo comes with hollow-points or soft nosed bullets.  My recommendation is to utilize the full metal jacketed bullets to familiarize yourself with your pistol and for general practice, then carry the plus P loads you are going to use.  Just make certain the pistol functions properly on those loads and that they hit in the sam eplace your practice loads do.

Also, you have to remember that there is no magical bullet you can use to defend yourself or your loved ones.  Almost any bullet will do if you place it properly, but that takes practice, practice and more practice.  

And, I 2nd the recommendation for Cheaper than Dirt but, don't forget to check out the Shotgun News for deals, often there are quite a few.  Oh, you may also wish to avoid the use of laquered ammo - some of the European ammo uses lacquered steel cases - they are less expensive to manufacture and are not reloadable but they may foul your pistol.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:52 PM »
johne,
You might try Black hills ammo. The have a web site. I've used a lot of their ammo and was well pleased with it ( The cost is rite too )
Good luck.............Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline johne

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:11:18 PM »
Thanks everyone. For clarification the Sig is a P229 .40S&W.