Author Topic: Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol II  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol II
« on: October 20, 2004, 06:16:29 AM »
Here are links to our Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Photo albums.  the Albums themselves are left floating on the board. You can alway access them from this post

Volume I

Volume II

Volume III

Because pictures take time to load I'll make more volumes as we go along.

Send me your favorite Cannon pictures and I’ll post them up for you.

Here are the guidelines

1. Can be a battery of your guns.
2. Can be a single gun. But only one picture per single gun will be posted.
3. You can be in the picture with the gun, but not required.
4. You should provide a description of your gun.
5. Picture can be digital. No restriction on size but should be in .bmp or .jpg format.
6. Chemical pictures “Photo’s” can be no larger than 8x10. Contact me for snail mail and I will scan them in.

I will do some limited photo editing> I will be reducing them in resolution and size to fit our board. You can send more than one picture, but only one will be posted per gun.

The photo albums will be locked, only the moderators will be able post to them.

Offline Double D

Kansas Boomer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:22:04 AM »

1"bore BP cannon. The 30" barrel is a piece of oil well plunger. My machinist says it is chrome tubing. The chamber is reinforced with 3" DOM tubing. The 2" plug is threaded and welded into the barrel. Ignition is by #11 cap and nipple, and a home made cannon lock. The trunnions are welded into the 3" tubing and mounted on 1" pillow block bearings. The carriage is 3"x4" steel tubing. The wheels are GM spares on Olds hubs. Sites are a Red Dot scope.

The gun is modeled after  a pre 1899 cannon. It was used in the Anglo-Boer war. It was used by the Boers to shell British positions.  The cannon was known as "Long Tom". All the info I can find, says it was a 115mm French Schneider Creusot.

Offline Double D

Blaster Bob
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »

Napoleon Field Gun, 12" wheels, Bbl is 15 1/2 in length, bore is 1.035",  2 1/2 " dia at breech, 2 .125" muzzle.  Carriage is kiln dried red oak.  Got it from Cannon Mania.  It is strongly recommended that it shoot only salutes as it's felt the carriage will not take the recoil of  service loads.

Dahlgren.  It's a one inch bore with a very heavy cast iron carriage.  Shoots a .960 ball (wheel weights) and is an accurate little gun due to the large screw type elevating device, much like the originals.  Got this one from South Bend Replicas about eight years ago.  Steel sleeved (seamless of course) and quite heavy.

Siege mortar with turned steel tube.  Has an aluminum carriage/platform all drilled to accept a wooden base.  Right now it has no elevation mechanism but a small rod across the bottom of the tube will keep it in place. You can plainly see the small aluminum rod holding the tube up.   It will take a Coors Beer can, with concrete, with ease but a regular cola or regular size beer can is just a slip fit without any extra room.  If one were to hold the touch hole while the projectile is entering the muzzle, it'd go down to the chamber very slow.  That's a little too tight for my comfort/safety.  It will also take a pvc pipe filled with mortar/concrete. (Moderator note...of course it's Coors, Bob's in Colorado)

Coehorn Mortar. It uses a 35 m/m film canister filled with mortar/concrete as a projectile.  Can't find the aluminum film containers anymore so have to utilize the plastic ones.

Enfield field gun of the 1880's.  It's made of carbon steel w/threaded breech plug (welded in place) and fully jacketed breech.  The wheels are cast steel w/roller bearings and solid rubber tires.  It's black parkerized. Is .50 Cal. and shoots a .490 lead ball or a .45 ACP case full wheel weight lead. Is 21-inches OL.  Is to take same amount of FG as that of a .50 TC Pistol.  Weighs 15 lbs and I got it from Cannon Mania.

This is a 6 pounder that from Kansas Cannon Works.  The barrel is a one inch, lathe turned & bored.  Trunions are set in milled pockets in the barrel then J.B. welded in place.  Carriage and wheels are oak with a steel axle.

Replica of a British 2.5-inch RML (7-pounder) Mountain (screw) Gun circa 1865 on an updated Carriage. Was used by Indian Mt. Artillery clear up into The Great War.

Offline Double D

CrufflerSteve
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:03:24 PM »

This most closely resembles a 2.9 inch Parrot rifle. Its in a modified Cato naval carriage made out of soft maple. I modified this since the cannon isn't much wider in the breech like carronade style cannon so the sides are parallel rather than widening in the rear.  The barrel is machined steel, not cast. It is 32" long, weighs a little over 100 pounds and has a 1.95" bore.

Offline Double D

MaxCalibers's Coehorn
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 06:05:11 PM »

This is a one-third scale coehorn mortar that I just completed. The barrel was sand cast of bronze. The bore and powder chamber was machined like the originals. The open frame bed is made of black walnut and is a modification of the original bed design that is easier to make and works well for small mortars. The top ball in the stack is made of lead.