Author Topic: put my stand in the woods today  (Read 990 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
put my stand in the woods today
« on: October 20, 2004, 10:21:58 AM »
I went out and put my stand in the woods this morning to be ready for MD early Muzzle loading season (3 day buck or doe and 5 day doe only)

When I got the the tree I set up in every year during this time The woods around it where torn up with scrapes rubs a few even almost went trough the tree and deer droppings all over the place. this tree is about 100 yards off a soybean field. I just hope I can get a shot on the buck that is doing all this.  This is the first time in the past 4 years that i have seen this much activity in this area, it mostly a trail for the deer to go out in the field

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 10:39:24 AM »
I have had my stands out for 3 weeks now in Maryland. I will be out there tomorrow afternoon with my son. Best of luck to you and good hunting.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:54 AM »
I have been using my stand for bow hunting so I could not leave it out long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 06:54:26 PM »
I believe it was 1989 when I put out the stand I'll use on opening morning. Now the tree did fall down and I did have to move it to another tree and do some repairs on it. Yeah the danged roof has rotten off of it but I don't hunt much on rainy days anymore anyway. The floor, ladder and supports are all still solid. I use PT lumber and paint it. Lasts many many years.

My newest stand has been out three seasons now. Do you realize that except for it not a single deer alive today in that area has ever walked past when those stands weren't there? They are just a normal part of the landscape to them. Natural as a tree to them.

Yeah I've killed more deer from that old "Original Stand" aka Faye's Treehouse Stand than from any other two locations combined at least. Heck more than any other three likely.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickyp

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 05:12:59 AM »
well I went out this morning even though it was raining purity good. I got in the woods and set up by 7 am. I even had my "tree umbrella" up to keep dry. At about 8:30 I heard some something moving to the side of am and slightly to the back. just so I have to turn my head over my shoulder. it was a little doe then I heard more noise and saw a few other doe coming to me. I let one get with in 40 yards of me she stopped, I took a shot and ended up killing a tree branch and missing the doe. the other does just stood around until I went to reload and she heard the Contender crack as i opened it, she looked right at me. I don't think she had a clue as to what I was because she just walked a way. no white flag no snorts nothing just walked away.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 06:24:49 AM »
Quote from: rickyp
well I went out this morning even though it was raining purity good. I got in the woods and set up by 7 am. I even had my "tree umbrella" up to keep dry. At about 8:30 I heard some something moving to the side of am and slightly to the back. just so I have to turn my head over my shoulder. it was a little doe then I heard more noise and saw a few other doe coming to me. I let one get with in 40 yards of me she stopped, I took a shot and ended up killing a tree branch and missing the doe. the other does just stood around until I went to reload and she heard the Contender crack as i opened it, she looked right at me. I don't think she had a clue as to what I was because she just walked a way. no white flag no snorts nothing just walked away.

I am going out tonight in Maryland with my son. Hope it quits raining. If not we are going to get wet.  :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:30:04 AM »
go to Wilmar and get you some of them tree umbrellas. they run about $15 and well worth the money.

It has a screw that goes in the tree and the umbrella attached to the screw then you tie everything tight to the tree and keeps you dry. you can also use it as a ground blind just put the screw in the ground.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 07:32:41 AM »
go to Wilmar and get you some of them tree umbrellas. they run about $15 and well worth the money.

It has a screw that goes in the tree and the umbrella attached to the screw then you tie everything tight to the tree and keeps you dry. you can also use it as a ground blind just put the screw in the ground.

I bought 2 of them last year and they do work great.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Rmouleart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 07:57:39 AM »
I have a few old stands still producing well every year, Most of them are over twenty years old, Platform stands made of seasoned oak, I check them out each year for safety, Unbelievable how rugged oak is being out in the worse environment each year. Nothing fancy, no seats, so I don't get lazy ;) a few hooks to hang things and a Phook to tie on a safety harness. Better safe than sorry. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 12:18:26 PM »
Quote from: Rmouleart
I have a few old stands still producing well every year, Most of them are over twenty years old, Platform stands made of seasoned oak, I check them out each year for safety, Unbelievable how rugged oak is being out in the worse environment each year. Nothing fancy, no seats, so I don't get lazy ;) a few hooks to hang things and a Phook to tie on a safety harness. Better safe than sorry. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

DANG, now why cant they make the ROADS here in New Hampshire out of oak?  Maybe then we would go more than 2 years before pot holes start popping up  :-D .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline CASHEP

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »
rickyp

What area do you hunt in Md. I'm leaving in the AM on friday, hunt in Allegehny Co., hunt outside of small town called Cresaptown. Been hunting Md. for 30 yrs. My family originally from there still have lots of relatives there. I don't hunt NJ, hunting in the pine barrens is depressing once your use to hunting mountains of western Md. Lots of luck with your hunt this weekend and be safe.

CASHEP

Offline rickyp

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 03:36:55 PM »
I hunt in Charles county.

Well this evening I got out of my stand about 6 pm walked to the edge of the soybean field. I have a old tire that Is leaning against a tree about 10 feet from the wool line. I was sitting on the tire for about 10 minutes when I see a little buck step out of the woods about 50 feet from me and start walking wards where I was sitting, he was just sniffing and nibbling branches minding his own business. Well he got to about 10 feet from me I just had to take the shot. I hit him just right he took off and ran about another 50 feet and drooped. After I field dress him I went back to the place of the shot I could not find any blood hair anything, even tho I hit him with a Barnes 300 gr M.L. bullet and his heart was mush.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 04:50:12 PM »
rickyp, we went out tonight also in MD. I had a doe and 2 fawns walk out about 70 yards from me. I decided not to shoot so my son that was 300 yards from me could get a shot at deer down his side of the field. Well the doe and the 2 fawns went across the field and my buddy shoots at the doe and missed. Well they went back into the woods. I thought well my son may not get a shot tonight. I look to where my son is sitting and there ia a doe by his stand, and then I see the deer fall and then hear the shot. My son got his first deer. He looks back at me and gives me the thumbs up. Then I see him reload and sit back down, about 2 minutes later I see him shoot again. I get down from my stand because we only had about 10 more minutes of shooting time left, and I go to where my son is. He is at the deer in the field and he said the other deer he shot at ran back into the woods. We went to where he last saw the deer and found blood, we tracked it into the woods about 30 yards, and there was his second deer. Boy am I proud of him.  :-D  He was using an Encore 45 caliber Muzzleloader with 2 triple7 pellets and the barnes 195 gr. 45 cal sabots and a 25ACP small rifle primer. I am going back tomorrow.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 05:14:29 PM »
we all can miss. look at the doe this morning. I shot a brance and missed her compleatly.
with 10 doe tags to fill and another buck tag I will be out tomorrow looking for 2 more does. Doubt I will be lucky enough to have  another one walk up to me and say shoot me :-D

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 07:01:05 PM »
People actually "hunt" from them?
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 02:24:09 AM »
Quote from: Steelhead
People actually "hunt" from them?

I don't know if you meant for them or from them??? But if you meant for them, yes we do. If you knew about over population of deer on a 10 doe to 1 buck ratio. It is not good and we as hunters need to take doe's for healthier heards and to keep the population in check. Not all deer hunters are head hunters. :shock:  Some of us are hunters and others are head hunters. I fall into the category of a hunter and conservationist.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 02:34:38 AM »
Apparently you didn't read the question, people actually "hunt" FROM them (e.g. TREESTANDS).

It was a bit tongue in cheek. I hunt deer, just not from a tree.

Good Luck.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 04:59:29 AM »
nope the tree branch was not the intended target. It just jumped in front of the bullet to save a nice doe's life :D

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 08:32:33 AM »
Quote from: Steelhead
Apparently you didn't read the question, people actually "hunt" FROM them (e.g. TREESTANDS).

It was a bit tongue in cheek. I hunt deer, just not from a tree.

Good Luck.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 08:05:01 PM »
Good luck to you during muzzle :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline rickyp

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 05:57:57 AM »
last night I came out on the dirt road. I started to come around a bend and I see a doe 200 yards away walking to me on the same road. she sees  me the same time I see her we both stop in our tracks. we looked at each other for 10 minutes then she started to walk again  she had taken about 5 steps when someone on the next farm over shoot she stopped and took off away from me. this was the only deer I saw while hunting yesterday.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2004, 07:33:17 AM »
I went out also last night. I was not in my stand more than 5 minutes and out walks a doe at 70 yards. I was going to shoot, but one of the guys was clearing a small tree by his stand and the doe seen him and went back in the woods. AT 5:30 PM a fawn came out the same trail and I passed on her but my buddies wife took a shot at the fawn and it ran back in the wood line. It came back to the field and was looking around and I put her down. About 6:00 PM a spike buck came out a different trail about 100 yards away and I shot it, the buck ran around the bend in the tree line, and my buddies wife put a spin shot on it while it was running and it went down. She is an older lady about 65, so I told here she got the buck and she was happy.  This place we are at, the deer are like rabbits, they are every where. The farmer want us to take as many deer as we have tags for. The deer are eating up all his crops. I just love hunting and I get to help him out in the process.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 01:25:22 PM »
She is an older lady about 65, so I told here she got the buck and she was happy
where I hunt  it is the last to shoot the deer gets it.

I think around me I think the deer have to running around at night.
After the first day I have not seen another deer in the woods. I see them every morning on the roads and in the fields then every night I see deer in the same fields and I see a lot of new track on the dirt road I walk on.
The farm I am hunting on backs up to another farm on one side and public hunting land on the other. I haven't heard more then 5 shoots during the past 3 day, but at around 6 I hear several shots each evening.

I wish I could have a great farm like you have. almost all the land around me has been snatched up by hunting clubs or the farmers and family's hunt it.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2004, 02:23:35 PM »
She is an older lady about 65, so I told here she got the buck and she was happy
where I hunt  it is the last to shoot the deer gets it.

quote]

Well I shot the deer and it only ran about 50 yards and was going down when she shot. I got to it and my shot took out both lungs. The deer was dead but just did not know it. I shot the deer on one side and she shot it from the other side, so we knew which bullet hit where. But I never shoot at a deer that someone else shot, I don't want to get into a argument over whos deer it is. You shot it, you track it.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 02:33:52 PM »
no deer is worth getting in a fight over.

we are so strict with the last one shoots rule that a few years ago a friend of mine shot a very nice buck in the neck and put it down, we all where looking at it when it started to get up. No one of us would take a finnishing shot  by the time the shooter got to it the buck gut up and ran away. the 10 of tracked that deer for 2 days and never did recover it.

The reason no one else shot was  it was such a nice deer and we didnt want to take it from him.

Each hunting grup has it's own rules.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2004, 01:43:29 AM »
rickyp, in that case I would of shot the deer and it would still belong to the person that put the first bullet in it. That is why I have always pick my hunting buddies very carefully. There is an old saying.
Pick your hunting partner as you would a wife. Your life may depend on them. :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2004, 02:54:34 AM »
That is why I have always pick my hunting buddies very carefully. There is an old saying.
Pick your hunting partner as you would a wife. Your life may depend on them.  

I have to agree with you,  all my hunting partners are other firefighters in my station and they have the land. If i dont hunt with them i will be on public land. Publis land is not the safest place to hunt so I can live with the last to shoot rule when we are all out in the woods together.

The good thing about them ( besides the land) is once the hunt is over everyone  helps out in prosessing the deers.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2004, 01:40:38 PM »
Ok lady, it's your deer!  Just let me get the saddle off of it!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline rickyp

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2004, 01:49:41 PM »
:D  :-D  :grin:

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2004, 05:33:57 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Ok lady, it's your deer!  Just let me get the saddle off of it!

:D  :D  :D Good one... :D  :D  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA