Author Topic: My next gun  (Read 798 times)

Offline Raging480

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My next gun
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:21:26 AM »
Hello all.  I thought I would share this and collect opinions from others.  I am mostly a handgun hunter, but as far as long guns go, my arsenal is short:  a .243 single shot, a Win '94 30/30, and a T/C Omega.  I am debating on adding another gun, for the larger game I may encounter in my life, black bear, moose, elk...I am interested in getting a Rem 7400 carbine, but I am not sure what caliber.  I know there are plenty of 30.06 versions out there, but I like to be different.  I was thinking of either finding a rare .35 Whelen, or maybe getting a .308 and boring it out to .358 win.  Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
go big
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 06:14:27 AM »
I would recommend larger bullets. 35 Whelen or 358 are great hunting rounds that won't let you down. I recently rebarrelled a Savage from .270  to .338-06 I am very satisfied. I wanted something that would handle anything I could imagin hunting and not have just an other generic rifle. Not following the crowd can be fun. It's a good conversation starter as well.

Longwalker

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
My next gun
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 06:30:14 AM »
If your hunting in a area shots 200 yards and under, heavy brush,tree lines. Marlins lever 450,45/70 guidegun fits the bill, a nice .458 dia bullet, with the right constructed bullet can take anything in north America, You will never feel undergunned 8) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
My next gun
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:14:54 PM »
I vote on a .35 Whelen of some kind,

or,

If you like accurate guns find yourself a 6.5 Swede chambered gun.

Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Dave in WV

My next gun
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 03:21:45 PM »
With a semi-auto rifle, changing the chamber is going to take a gunsmith that knows what he's doing. The size of the gas port is important to match up with the pressure generated by the cartridge. If you want to change the chambering a 760/7600 would be more forgiving. You can buy 7600 rifles in 35 Whelen from Grice.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Dusty Miller

My next gun
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »
The long gun lust in my heart right now is the 375 H&H in a Ruger #1.  It can be loaded up or loaded down and when loaded up it'll take anything that walks, runs, or flys on this planet.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!