Author Topic: Would like to get started in BP with a good BP revolver  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Would like to get started in BP with a good BP revolver
« on: October 22, 2004, 04:09:30 PM »
Hey yall. I need some help about getting started into black powder, hints, tips whatever. And I was thinking of getting a good BP revoler to start off with. As of now, I'm kinda favoring the 1851 Navy, but please, if yall can, give me yall's opinions of what yall think is good for a beginner in BP. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!!
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Would like to get started in BP with a good
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:23:46 PM »
What is the main use that you will put the revolver to? The '51 is hard to beat from the standpoint of balance and economy of firing. If absolute power isn't an issue, the Navy is a great way to go. Whatever your choice, it's a good idea to buy the best gun that you can afford. Uberti and Pietta are the two best brands currently available new, but your local gunshops may have some decent deals on used guns, so it pays to shop around.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »
I just want a basic BP revolver to get started with. I figured the Navy would be a good one.

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline jgalar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:55:23 AM »
I have a 51navy, a 60army, and a 58remington in 36 caliber. The navy is my favorite just for the way it feels in the hand. The sights on the Colt stye guns suck, but thats the way they were made. The front sight on the Navy is just a bead and the rear sight is a V notch cut into the hammer. The gun will shoot high. I used a dremel cutoff tool to change the V notch to a deeper U and adjust the sight picture so the bead is just showing on the bottom of the U. I would get the steel framed model and have fun.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 06:55:39 AM »
Probably the best BP revolver is the Ruger Old Army.  I don't realy care for the guns looks or ballance myself but it is very strong and you probably won't have to work on it right out of the box.

My favorite is the 51' navy, it shoots high, you will probably have to change nipples, may need to polish the bore, fit the grips a little better and other odds and ends.  It's also very low priced and an absolute blast to shoot, very natural pointer and feels good in the hand.  The best for the money is the Pietta 51's from Cabela's, the fit and finish are not up to Ubertia's standards, but they are pretty good and most of them work out of the box.

Good luck and go make some smoke 8)
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 03:56:42 AM »
would suggest a recently manufactured Uberti Navy ( or army). Parts are readily available and appear to be of much better quality than just a few years ago.  One recent one we have shot has a slightly taller front bead and doesn't shoot quite as high as they used to.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 12:16:30 PM »
Well yall, I am going with the 1851 Navy from Cabela's with a Starter Kit. Its already been ordered, so it should be on its way soon. God Bless!

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »
Good luck, let us know how it goes

Mec, I got a Uberti 51 navy not to long back, and for the price the fit and finish was a lot better than the Peittas I've got, but the cylinder would barly shave lead from 380 round balls and with a little lube sticking on the loading leaver the balls of a couple of chambers would back out, the nipples were undersized and caps would fall off.  I've since converted it to cartrige and installed a set of bone dust/ivory look-a-like grips and am very happy.  I've also noticed that there is no noticable wear on the cylinder pin from gas escaping around the cylinder/barrel juntion even though every round through it is black powder.  The Peita's show some wear with less rounds through them, but to have a pair I ordered anouther Peitta and they both work great.  If I just got an oversized cylinder and it's not the norm I would probably go with Ubertia.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 01:20:59 PM »
I just got my new Pietta 1851 Navy .44 brass-frame Friday )ordered from Midway the 13th, shipped the 15th, and reached me probably Thursday the 18th - shipped USPS), and shot it today.  Very nice, totally reliable, and only shoots 7 inches high  at 15 yards.  My old 1851 Navy (bought in 1976) is quite different in manufacture, and current 1851 parts don't fit it.  The cylinder is 1/8" shorter, and the lockwork parts are more delicate.  Having broken it many years back, I consigned it to the display wall - but can generally manage to shoot a couple groups before it locks up again.  The new one seems more robust, and looks like a close match in receiver and lockwork to my early eighties Pietta 1860 brass-frame .44.
The older guns shoot about 8 inches high, but all three group pretty decently.
The old 1851 shaves a good ring of lead with a .454 ball, but the two newer guns barely shave lead.  I think the old one is a Pietta, judging from the frame markings, but am not positive.  If so, manufacture was changed at some time.
This new 1851 Navy is on Midway's website, for $89 - their least expensive Cap&Ball, but it isn't shown in their latest catalog - maybe discontinued?  A great deal, as it's nearly half the price of the other Piettas.

Offline Potato Frizz

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
Newer BP revolvers have chamfered chamber-mouths, so you'll not see any "shaved" lead. Best idea is to measure the chambers with a dial-caliper, then you know what to expect.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 05:40:14 PM »
The uberti navy's do seem to have larger chamber mouths than the Piettas and would do well with a .380 ball. Unfortunately, Hornady and Speer seem to have dropped these and are selling .375s.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 06:53:09 PM »
I miked the chambers and they were all right at .376-.377dia.  I was using Warren muzzeloading .380 round balls.  If I had been into casting then I would have gotten a .385 mould and been OK, but .004 is not enough to hold the ball in the chamber.  As I said, with a little sticky lube and powder fouling on the loading leaver the balls would some times stick to the leaver and back out as I was trying to load it.  Not exceptable for a cap and ball revolver and at the time .380 was as big as I could find without getting way to big.
www.courtneyknives.com