Author Topic: Help a newbie with questions  (Read 500 times)

Offline Carpe Diem

• Trade Count: (0)
Help a newbie with questions
« on: October 24, 2004, 11:17:38 AM »
My wife and I are going to get our CCW license. I want to carry only revolvers because that is what I learned on, plus I have very fast reflexes so cocking, aiming, and firing at a moving target is not a problem for me.

I am favoring a 357/38 snubbies and am not worried but here is the problem. My wife is very slow. She is not stupid,(SHE HAS A MASTERS IN PSYCHOLOGY) she is just slow. She is methodical and precise in everything she does which does not lend itself to putting a badguy down in a hurry so I need to over compensate for her slowness.

I think she would do well on a DAO pistol like a Glock 26 because of the soft long trigger pull, but I just don't trust Semi-autos because there is a failure rate that I am not comfortable with.

So here is the question that I need answered: How can I find a revolver with a soft long trigger pull or should I just take a month and teach her to pull the weapon, cock-it, aim-it, fire-it in a sort of add on method.

Tell me what to do guys

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:37:34 AM »
Take the time to give your wife the advantage of your knowledge and expertise with a revolver.  You'll both have fun... and you've got a "shooting buddy' for life if you handle it right.

This will not only make her a lot more comfortable in shooting a revolver, but help her to become a more effective, accurate shooter... plus it is a lot of fun doing something together and accomplishing a goal you both value.

You may find that, with your help, she'll turn into an excellent shot with a handgun... many women do.  I've taught several women to shoot over the years and, without exception, they all became good pistol shots.  Many women seem to have a "knack" for shooting a handgun.

I strongly suggest you start her out shooting an accurate .22 rimfire revolver with at least a 6-inch barrel and a "good" trigger.  Such an handgun is extremely accurate, has literally no recoil and a very low muzzle blast... all of which is of significant help to a "newbie" shooter in helping them become proficient in the shortest possible period of time.

I started my wife on a S&W K-22 with a 6" barrel and kept the shooting sessions relatively short at first (about an hour or so each time we went shooting).  Once she became proficient and had developed her preferred & comfortable two-hand hold, proper trigger pull and correct sight alignment with the .22, it was an easy transition to light recoiling standard .38 revolver using standard .38 Special loads and, eventually, to some occasional full strength .357 magnum loads.

I taught my wife to shoot when we first got married over 46 years ago... and she's maintain her competence with handguns since then.  While she isn't "big" on helping me reload the ammo, she can MORE than hold her own with anyone on my club's shooting range.

Once she learned to shoot, we'd take several handguns to the range with us.  We'd always start out using the K-22 to "sharpen up" our shooting skills while shooting inexpensive .22 rimfire ammo, then switch over to .38 Specials, 9mm's, .45 ACP's, .357 magnums or even .44 magnums with mid-range target loads, not full loads.

It's almost SCARY how easily she could put five (we used 5-shot groups) maximum loads out of my .357 magnum from my 4" Model 19 S&W in the "black" @ 25 yards (off-hand) with a two-hand hold.

We both recently got our Ohio Concealed Carry Permit.  During the required shooting at the shooting range, my wife "out-shot" everyone in our CCW class except me and one other fella.  I was very pleased with her shooting considering that our CCW class consisted of a dozen other men plus two other women.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 03:21:12 PM »
i think you should rethink your thoughts nothing wrong with a wheel gun! the failure rate of a good semi is equal to that of a wheel gun! these days. also if ypou think you will be cocking and shooting a bad guy! oops big trouble there!  in crt! (proven fact) not like the reload issue) the wheel gun when jamed does not give you an option of clearing the problem!  the gun has become a hammer!   do not teach her to cock and fire get her a good local trainer to teach her! one of the biggest mistakes i have seen in the yrs i have been teaching is correcting the spouse mistakes! also a 6 inch barrel is nice but does she have the strength to hold it up for a shooting session will it point funny for her! take to a range and let her try several guns that fit her. but your though on wheel gun vers semi is un founded !  if it were true there would be many a dead officer cause of there semi not working

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:55:38 PM »
Think I understand the rules of engagement now :D ......Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 11:41:03 PM »
I also vote for the wheelgun, but in a much shorter barrel.  Personally, I think three inches of barrel is about perfect.  Still relatively easy to shoot well, but if the bad guy tries to wrest it away from her, he's gonna lose some fingers, if not more.  The longer the barrel is, the more leverage the bad guy will get, and the easier it is for him to rip it out of her hands and use it on her.  Snubbies are even better for retention, but a lot of people (me included) don't shoot them as well.  Marksmanship training is a wonderful thing, but weapon retention also needs to be learned!  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?