Author Topic: Portable Blinds  (Read 887 times)

Offline Rupe/PA

• Trade Count: (0)
Portable Blinds
« on: October 25, 2004, 10:38:46 AM »
A rather serious eye problem has left me frustrated with my inability to pick out deer in the woods this fall.  Am considering purchasing a portable blind in hopes that it will help me get closer to game.  Have any of you used blinds ?  If so, what's your opinion ?   Thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Portable Blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 02:41:17 PM »
I'm going to be using an Ameristep Doghouse TSC blind in Tangle camo this season. I think I'm really gonna like it. I tried one that was similar to their Outhouse blind once when visiting a friend and hunting from his blind. Wasn't too fond of that particular blind. Not sure the brand of it as there are several made like that. Not enough room at shoulder and head level in it.

This Doghouse blind is big enough for two people really. Mine is the Total Scent Control version that is supposed to contain your scent inside using carbon technology I think. I suspect any of them will do a pretty fair job at scent control. One of the really nice things about this model is it has a zip in floor and shoot thru mesh windows that are no-see-um proof. So once inside the bugs should be no problem. That's important here as the yellow jackets are out any time the temp is above 40* and it dang near always is before noon even in winter.

I'm quite sure it's gonna work really well. As long as you don't put it right out in the open and have a bit of cover around you I think the deer are unlikely to be concerned with it. They sure won't see any movement and that's a big plus.

Comes with a backpack to tote it to hunting area and once there you just take it out and toss it and it pops open. Can't beat that for easy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JPSaxMan

Portable Blinds
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 02:59:05 PM »
Come on GB...shoulda spent some extra Jackson's and bought the one that was reversible.  :) I was dreaming of the one that switched from Mossy Oak New Break Up to Mossy Oak Obsession. But...I have yet to find a REAL use for one...so to pay money for one is not logical. Take care.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline victorcharlie

Portable Blinds
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 03:26:33 PM »
I've got to say I've had my eye on them as well.  Seems like they would work well, and I don't really like the idea of hunting out of a tree stand.   I've been trying to figure out what size would be good, as I don't want to feel cramped......Once again GB seems to have done his homework.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Portable Blinds
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 03:26:58 PM »
Come on GB...shoulda spent some extra Jackson's and bought the one that was reversible.

Actually the only cost was the phone call. It is a product review item. I could have asked for any in their product line but this is the one I personally chose to review. I actually prefer the tangle camo. It better matches the winter woods in my area in my opinion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JPSaxMan

Portable Blinds
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 03:29:12 PM »
The Tangle camo pattern did look good...but I'm a phanatic of Mossy Oak (dunno why...I like consistency  :? ). Most of the camo (except waterfowl) is MO NBU. It's done a pretty good job of keeping me concealed up here in PA. But...matter of preference and what works, now ain't it? Take care.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 05:18:46 PM »
I got one on the Ameristep Outhouse portable blinds last year.  Put it up once to try it out and never did figure out how to get it back in the pack.  Gave it to my son and he uses it.  He killed a nice 8 point from it last year.  However realistically IMO, it's not something that you can take with you before daylight and pop up, hunt from all day, and pack up and take it with you after dark, at least unless you practice poping it up/down a LOT.

It's sort of like one of them new fancy electronic do-hickies.  If you can't figure out how to use it, give it to your kids.

I personally think that the Double Bull pop-ups are better than the Ameristep products.  They are easier to set up and take down and also of thicker material.  And as nothing good is free (except for advice from your wife, well that's not free either) the Double Bull costs about 2 times what the Ameristep costs.

But the Outhouse does work for hunting, just a pain to use IMO.....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Portable Blinds
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 06:47:53 PM »
There is a world of difference between the Outhouse and Doghouse blinds by Ameristep. About the only thing they have in common is both are made by Ameristep.

While I'm not sure if the blind I tried on the hunt with my friend was an Ameristep Outhouse or another brand's similar model it sure didn't look that easy to deal with in set up or take down. I did neither so am not speaking from experience. The location I was on had a slight slope from back to front and I kept rubbing my head and shoulders on the back of the blind no matter how I positioned myself and it was kinda noisy. Also it had been left out all night on a really cold night and had as much frost inside as out. It all melted and ran down onto me as the day warmed and the sun came out. Not good.

I sure can't compare the Double Bull to the Ameristep as I've never even seen a Double Bull and haven't set up the Doghouse yet. Need to real soon tho so I'll be familar with it when I use it for hunting next month. But the directions say you take it from bag and just toss it and it sets itself up. Don't see how Double Bull could be easier than that. They make it appear take down is as easy more or less, just pick it up and fold it up. Now I've not tried it as I say. I do like the fact it has a floor which would have prevented the frost inside I'm sure and will keep out biting stinging insects in warmer weather.

I've heard lots of good things about the Double Bull but never actually seen one first hand.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 03:10:50 AM »
Bill,

Are you sure you can shoot a firearm through the mesh?  As I recall it was archery only as the firearm overburn tends to set the mesh on fire which is not a good thing.  I think there was a warning with mine not to shoot a gun through the mesh, but I could be wrong.

As far as set up, it wasn't too bad unless you want to zip the floor in, then it gets tricky.  As I said, putting it back into the bag is a problem.  An yes, it is not waterproof and it drips down your neck from frost or rain.   I think the double bull is more waterproof, or at least weatherproof.  

I think that the double bull sort of stores in a tube so you don't have to try to force the tent braces into a circle.  While if you get the Ameristep back into the pack you have a pack about 24" dia x 7" thick, I believe the double bull would be a tube about 6" dia x ?? long.  More cumbersome to carry but much easier to repack.

Anyway, the Ameristep seems to work OK as I said.  Just don't plan to pack in/out every day.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
Portable Blinds
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 04:16:25 AM »
I own the same one Greybeard has and I love it, just give it a toss and badaboom badabing you have a doghouse, really easy to get back to the smaller circle to fit back into the carry pouch. I also carry a small flip open chair with no back, easy to tern and move in the dog house, very good viewing from inside the dog house. I recommend them for ground hunters, I prefer to be on the ground, even though in certain situations I hunt from tree's as well. I like the idea of the doghouse blind, eliminates movement and also helps keep you scent down,blends in well, easy to carry, the pouch has two straps so you can carry as a backpack, good to go. I also believe its water proof as well. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Portable Blinds
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 10:12:57 AM »
I just purchased a "Doghouse-Blind" to try out this year,..

I had used a "Outhouse-Blind" the year before (a gift) and it did work,.. kept me dry and hopefully helped conceal whatever scent I was emitting.

But,.. it was QUITE cramped inside  :(   I would say it was better than no cover,.. but not by much.
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline JPSaxMan

Portable Blinds
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14:33 PM »
Can't ya just stick the gun barrel out of the mesh?  :?   :D
JP

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 04:20:20 PM »
I have a outhouse blind and it has just enough room for me and my eleven year old son.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Portable Blinds
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 01:50:48 PM »
I hear great things about the double bull blinds,,,Good luck w/ ur decision :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Portable Blinds
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 02:24:11 PM »
I have the Penthouse blind and it's BIG!.

My land is very hilly and it is hard to find a level spot to set the blind on.  I built a 8'X8' deck with 2 down hill legs.   I set the blind on this with bolt on hooks and it worked great for last week's early 4 day hunt.

It isn't water proof but it kept me pretty dry during the rain.  

I would have liked to get one with scent control but they weren't available when I bought mine.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline huntin1

Portable Blinds
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 05:24:27 PM »
I have the Doghouse TSC, and my son and I have taken several deer from it. It does pop up easily, but I think they forgot to tell you about the shock-corded poles used to keep the roof up.  :lol:  It's not a problem, it still goes up very quickly and I have no problems taking my down and getting it back in the pack. For the money it is a very good blind and I recommend it. My hunting partner has the Double-bull so I have hunted out of that one too. It is quite a bit nicer, but then at 2 to 3 times the cost of a doghouse it should be.

huntin1