Author Topic: "Baiting" Deer?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2004, 11:50:38 AM »
Redhawk ;  Its only 1200 not 2000 but we had to start somewhere.   JIM

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2004, 01:50:40 PM »
Quote from: jhm
Redhawk ;  Its only 1200 not 2000 but we had to start somewhere.   JIM

So whats your point!
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2004, 06:17:56 PM »
No real point its just that if you own the land being 2000, or 7 , or whatever the amount of acres its your land and you should be able to do what ever it takes to atract the deer to it that is legal, and the reason most farmers have quit letting people on their property is because of some of the hunters or whatever you want to call them have ruined it for thousands of us over the years, and the only way to have a decent place to hunt is to invest in the property and work it year long for the deer in the area, like I have said even if you tag out you have helped more deer on the food plots than what you have harvested, not to mention the other game that benefits from it as well, so as long as I pay the taxes on my propeerty and the law is I can put in food plots and corn feeders, I will BTW I have never shot a deer standing at the corn feeders, they are usually shot somewhere in the range of 100 to 150 yds away. :D    JIM

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
baiting
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2004, 11:48:04 PM »
"Those in favor will create any excuse to justify it while those opposed will be tongue-lashed for upholding hunting ethics."

Does this quote look familiar?
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2004, 01:31:54 AM »
JHM I agree with you 110% I also have never shot a deer near my feeders. Yea a lot of so called hunters shooting up signs and peoples stuff has made it hard for the one's that play by the rules.

Bob/FLA your quote looks familiar so should this one. Opinions are like A**holes and everyone has one.  :)

We all have our opinions, lets agree to disagree.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline TH

Baiting Deer
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2004, 02:15:09 AM »
I personally don't mind if you bait deer to get them into your land, just don't call it hunting when you then kill one.  Training a deer to come to the same place to eat and then rewarding them with death is not hunting.  Taking the time to learn the deers natural habits and then using that knowledge to your advantage to kill one is hunting.
"Call me when it does take a rocket scientist."

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2004, 09:09:51 AM »
TH, I started feeders on my land 2 years ago. They consist of 2 gravity feed tubes holding 40 LB of corn each. I fill them every 2 weeks. In the 2 years, I have only hunted my land 10 times. I have never taken a deer off my land. My land is 7 acres of heavy woods. I have a farm behind my house which is not near my land that I hunt, and there are 4 of use that hunt that farm. I got 3 deer this year 2 Bucks and a doe, my buddy got a Buck and a doe and another buddy got a buck and a doe. You talk about learning deer habits and use it to my advantage and then call it hunting. Here is how it goes. We go into the wooded area of the farm where the deer are bedded, we set up on trails. The deer travel the trails and go to either there watering hole or to the field to feed. Are the deer not trained to go to the field where there is food for them? Weather I provide food for them or the farmer, is it not the same concept?  When people put out bait, they do learn the deer's natural habits and then using that knowledge to there advantage to kill one. You can't just put bait out in the middle of the woods and expect deer to come feed on it. If your land is used as a pass through, somehow you need to try to keep them there and attract there interest in your area. But I could beat a dead horse and never convince others that think as you, to change there minds about baiting so I will leave it at that. Thanks for you time.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
baiting
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »
Nice Redhawk1...if you can't defend your position, you revert to cussing.  Great job on moderating by the way. :?
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
Or contact us at:

Offline TH

Bating Deer
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2004, 01:03:29 PM »
Redhawk1,
  I think we are in complete agreement here.  In my first post I left out one key phrase that is causing the confusion, here is what the sentence should have said.  
" I personally don't mind if you bait deer to get them into your land, just don't call it hunting when you then kill one OVER THE BAIT PILE".
  This obviuosly is not what you are doing in your case but is sadly done in many southern states for such game as "wild" boars.  If baiting was used the way you describe by everyone, I don't think most people would even think twice about it.  It is good to here someone using the law in the way it was most likely intended.

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
baiting
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2004, 01:12:29 PM »
THAT I agree with TH!  Thanks for clearing that up.  Food plots and game management techniques benefit the game and the hunter.
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
Or contact us at:

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2004, 03:18:02 PM »
TH, thanks for the reply. Glad we got it all cleared up. We sure got a long wait for hunting season. :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline TH

"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2004, 05:28:04 AM »
I live in St. Louis but still deer hunt with my father and brother in Iowa.  I won't even know if I can get a deer tag until July sometime when Iowa does its nonresident deer tag lottery.  Then if I do get a tag I will have to wait until the first week in December to actually go hunting (Iowa's first season shotgun is always first week of Dec.).  You wouldn't think a grown man could be so impatient about anything, but I already can't wait to get out hunting again.  There is something about being hunting that makes a person feel right inside. :grin:

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2004, 08:08:53 AM »
TH, thats why I bow hunt. It starts in September in Delaware.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Huntsman44

"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2004, 06:49:51 AM »
In Florida you can only bait on private property. Fla. WMA prohibit baiting and this makes it difficult for WMA hunters.  I'm on a private lease and do bait with corn.  But the deer will go to acorns before corn every time.  This up coming season I plan to fertilize oak hammocks and other food sources instead of baiting.  And the big Bucks on our lease are way to smart to fall for that.  They'll visit your feeder at night on during the off season.  If you're not baiting you're not missing much in my opinon.  H44
You can shoot from the saddle of any horse..............Once!

Offline jhm

"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2004, 12:00:56 PM »
Huntsman :  That is exactly what you do when you manage your property for all the various types of game, you fertilize the property so the native plants and the added food plots benefit from it, it is a lot more work than alot of people realize and the $$ amount will climb vary quick as the fertilizer get higher every year but if you are going to have a decent place to hunt you will have to work on it year long. :D    JIM

Offline Huntsman44

"Baiting" Deer?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2004, 05:34:01 AM »
JHM,  Our lease is mainly a tree farm and the owner dosn't hunt or dosn't care about hunting, just farming pine tree's.  When we put up a feeder, no one else can hunt within a quarter mile circle.  we are responsible for any up grades to that section of land.  He dosn't allow food plots, just pine tree's.  It make it tuff to do right when the owner is against anything but tree's.  But we harvest our share of deer, turkey's and hogs. and have a place to hunt.  H44
You can shoot from the saddle of any horse..............Once!