Author Topic: Topper Deluxe & Chokes & Hunting Q's  (Read 535 times)

Offline Bee County

• Trade Count: (0)
Topper Deluxe & Chokes & Hunting Q's
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:54:44 AM »
I spoke with Sports South and learned that the Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 20 ga AND the Topper Deluxe Classic in 12 ga are currently out of stock (with no estimated time of arrival on the new production guns).  I spoke w/ a rep at H&R who gave me a time frame of 2-3 months before the aforementioned guns would become available.  The rep suggested that I find a local dealer in Tx who currently has an inventory of the guns.  I’ve called a few dealers in Texas and it looks promising.        
On a different note, I recently discovered that H&R's website gives conflicting information with respect to the shell handling capability of the Topper Deluxe Classic (one graphic states that the gun can handle up to 3" shells and another graphic in a different section of the website states that the SAME gun can handle up to 3.5".  I called H&R and spoke w/ a rep who seemed to believe that the Topper Deluxe Classic (with vent rib) can handle 3" shells and the Topper Deluxe (without rib) can handle up to 3.5”.  Unimpressed with the reps answer I decided to take my question to y’all.  From reading previous posts I noticed that many of y’all own this gun (Topper Deluxe Classic with nickel and vent rib).  As such, can someone please look at the barrel of their gun and tell me whether the shell handling specs are 3” or 3.5.”   Also, how does the gun pattern? Do you shoot hevi-shot and, if so, which types of chokes do you use.  I’ve been looking into getting some aftermarket chokes by Trulock (their chokes made for Winchester threaded guns will also work for H&R shotguns and the chokes are ‘hevi-shot capable’).  Has anyone tried these Trulock chokes.  If so, which model of the Trulock chokes did you get (Pattern Plus, Precision Hunter, etc.) Do you shoot Hevi out of them?
Also – if indeed the Topper Deluxe Classic can only handle up to 3” shells, will it still be a viable option for turkey and waterfowl hunting? ( FYI, I also might hunt dove, quail and pheasant with this gun).      
Thanks for the help guys,
Chris

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Topper Deluxe & Chokes & Hunting Q'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 04:43:03 PM »
You certainly don't NEED 3 1/2" to hunt turkey or waterfowl. A lot of folks actually find that 3' patterns better. I shot one box of 3 1/2" hevi-shot through my topper deluxe and won't buy any more the recoil is brutal and there's just no need. I.ve never shot a turkey  but I assure all of the geese I shot with 3" were just as dead. I was hoping to get one of these guns as well. Looks like I waited to long.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner 20 gauge for geese
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
Quote from: Markus
You certainly don't NEED 3 1/2" to hunt turkey or waterfowl

Here's a picture of my 12 year old son and his first goose that he took using a Pardner 20 gauge with 3 inch Federal with 1 ounce of #1 steel shot.  One shot, and it fell from the sky like a rock.

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
I have the Topper Deluxe Classic with the vent rib and it will handle up to 3" shells. I have been hunting since the late 60's and have seldom even needed a 3" shell. I mostly use 2 3/4" for everything. From doves to turkeys, if you are on target and have the right size shot , you will take the game. I have not patterned the TDC but it smoked the clays on the skeet field.

Monte

Offline Bee County

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 07:03:56 AM »
Ok guys, thanks for the input.  I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a TDC in 12 gauge that I can purchase here in Tx.  Also, if anyone has used the trulock chokes, please let me know.  

-Chris

Moonlitin - Thats a nice goose and a beautiful gun.  I'm excited about the topper (and the ultra slug for that matter!) but it looks like I'll have to wait a few months until they're readily available in Tx so that I can avoid out of state transfer fees, etc.  Good luck and happy hunting.