Poll

Under normal circumstances, would you shoot an albino deer?

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 31, 2004, 03:29:01 PM

Author Topic: Albino Deer  (Read 1233 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Albino Deer
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:49:09 AM »
I have a friend who would harvest one under any circumstances. Now keep in mind...unless we're talking last day and 5 min left till shooting light is over and one walks into gun or bow range...would you take one? His emphasis is, "Well, you're saying if you wouldn't take an albino, then you wouldn't take a trophy buck because they're just as rare." I was about ready to kill this person. Sure, trophy deer are rare...mebe like a ratio of 1 to 100 (and I mean TROPHY deer....180's and 190's) to 1 to 1,000; depending on geography. Now albino's...I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say a ratio of 1 to 1,000,000,000. That's my opinion...or estimated and educated guess. Contradict me if I'm wrong. But I do want your opinion. Thanx!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline HipShot

Albino Deer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 11:29:42 AM »
I don't think the scenario is valid. Anyone who would take an albino deer surely wouldn't be worried about what season it is.

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
Albino Deer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:33:14 PM »
The area I hunt has an 8 point piebald running around. None of the locals want to see this deer shot and neither do I. This deer is so pretty, being totally white from mid-shoulder back. A few strangers have approached my friend about hunting his property this year, presumably to get said buck, but their requests were turned down. Hope he makes it through the season.

Incidentally, last year this deer was a tiny button buck and grew this 8 point rack his first year.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Albino Deer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »
If I saw it, I would shot it. You are right, they are beautiful deer. I would like to get a nice piebald mounted. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

Albino Deer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 02:32:43 AM »
Albino's are not legal to shoot in TN.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Albino Deer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 05:34:45 AM »
If the albino is legal to shoot then I would by all means shoot it.
Yes, they are beautifully but don't forget that theres something wrong with this deer's jeans and he will surly pass them bad jeans down the line and this will hurt the deer hard in a given area. This is the same reason why managed ranches want to take out all the spike and button bucks on the ranch

Offline rockbilly

Albino Deer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 05:52:36 AM »
I agree with Rickyp.  An albino deer is an inferior deer.  Left to breed, they pass those geans off to the off-spring.  I learned many years ago, weed out the inferior bucks from any herd if you want quality.  Just like raising cattle, a good bull is the best bet for a good herd.

Offline wvbowman04

Albino Deer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 01:59:20 PM »
We have an albino and a piebald on our property this year.  We don't shoot them mainly cause they are smallish deer but thats not say that we wouldn't.  There is nothin genetically wrong with an albino or a piebald.  Albinism is simply a recessive trait for a deer's coat color.  All piebald means is that they have a absence of melanin in their skin to color their hair brown.  Albinos are actually quite common compared to Melanistic whitetails.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer with his buddies for a lifetime.

This isn't a beer gut!!  Its a feul tank for a sex machine!!

Offline AAAJohn

albino deer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 03:26:18 PM »
I have an albino doe and a piebald button buck on the wall now and they are both trophies. I also have a 12 point counted 18 (ring points) mounted that I took when I was 16 years old back in 67 and after shooting the albino I have to say it was the only deer out of 100+ that I felt bad about shooting.
Would I do it again?
Darned right, in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Albino Deer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 03:34:41 PM »
Quote from: wvbowman04
We have an albino and a piebald on our property this year.  We don't shoot them mainly cause they are smallish deer but thats not say that we wouldn't.  There is nothin genetically wrong with an albino or a piebald.  Albinism is simply a recessive trait for a deer's coat color.  All piebald means is that they have a absence of melanin in their skin to color their hair brown.  Albinos are actually quite common compared to Melanistic whitetails.

wvbowman04 you need to do a little homework buddy. You are incorrect in your genetics back round.

Some information for you.
There is a difference between an albino deer and a white deer. An albino deer is solid white, has pink eyes and nose, and greyish colored hooves. A white deer is solid white but has normal colored eyes, nose and hooves. A piebald deer has some amount of white, but not 100% white, and has normal pigment in their eyes, nose, and hooves.

Albino deer births are estimated in statistical studies to be 1 in 30,000. Albino fawns rarely reach adulthood due to predators. Besides the fact that they are solid white and cannot conceal themselves in their environment, they also usually have one or more of the following genetic problems: Poor eyesight, poor hearing, and deformities of their feet and legs. This is also the reason that adult albino deer have a life expectancy of only 3 to 4 years. They make an easy target for both hunters and predators. In order for an albino fawn to be born, both parents must be albino, or if both parents carry the albino gene (they would be normally colored) they have a 1 in 4 chance of producing a fawn that is albino. According to a man I talked to with the Wildlife Department in NC, in his words, "Hunters very, very rarely see an albino deer."
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Albino Deer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
If I saw it, I would shot it. You are right, they are beautiful deer. I would like to get a nice piebald mounted. :D

I agree with redhawk1 100%....it would be a true trophy and one to be proud about...
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline JPSaxMan

Albino Deer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 01:44:53 PM »
Well for those who are in favor of taking an albino (a true albino...not pie bald or white deer...an albino with pink eyes)...you might want to think twice about it.

First of all, I just got off the phone with the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The warden I talked to had told me several things. For one, she said I'd be lucky to see two in the WHOLE state (once again, a true albino). The reason is not only the rareity, but the fact that an albino is extremely sensitive to sunlight and will burn really easily if left to cook in the sun. Another big factor is the meat of the deer. Since the deer has a severe genetic defect, that means there is something wrong with the meat and it shouldn't be eaten.

Now we have some food for thought.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline AAAJohn

albino deer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 02:18:12 PM »
The doe I shot was a true albino with the pink nose and redish eyes and the off white feet. Nobody got to eat the meat because I wrapped it in a tarp and let the guy that mounted it skin it out. I was going to give him the meat but he said where I had it wrapped up the meat didn't smell good and thru it away. The piebald was killed the next year and it was beautiful, looked like a dalmation dog, mostly white with brown almost black spots all over its back. If I knew how I would post a picture but I can take the picture and email it but don't know how to post it.
But I'm a better hunter than a computor operator.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Albino Deer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 02:19:27 PM »
I agree with redhawk1 100%....it would be a true trophy and one to be proud about...
THE#1hunter

Any deer you take on a fair hunt (not a game ranch) is a trophy. I am just as proud of the does That i have taken as I am with the bucks

Another big factor is the meat of the deer. Since the deer has a severe genetic defect, that means there is something wrong with the meat and it shouldn't be eaten.

Now we have some food for thought.
Fishman029

One does not necessarily take this deer for food but for the future health of the heard. It is best to not let this animal pass it's jeans down.

Offline JPSaxMan

Albino Deer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 03:04:33 PM »
Quote from: rickyp
THE#1hunter

Any deer you take on a fair hunt (not a game ranch) is a trophy. I am just as proud of the does That i have taken as I am with the bucks

That's the honest to goodness truth (for God sakes...sometime I consider a crow a trophy  :roll: ....depending on how long it's been since I've had luck)

I just wanted to inform the masses...best not eat the meat off an albino. Feed it to dem already rabid coons.  :)  :D
JP

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Albino Deer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »
Nice info fishman...thanks  :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Albino Deer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »
Nice info fishman...thanks

Nice perhaps. But accurate and honest info? Nope sorry. Old wives tale. No danger at all in eating meat from an albino animal.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JPSaxMan

Albino Deer
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 11:12:19 AM »
Uhh...GB...only problem is I didn't get that info from an old wife  :) . I talked to someone with the Game Commission. Where did you get ur info from?
 :D
JP

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Albino Deer
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »
And you think that makes him an expert on what meat is eatable? Sorry but no way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
Albino Deer
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »
I'm with Graybeard, the Pennsylvania Game Commission is responsible for much misinformation. You can call their Dallas office with the same question and get several different answers.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline JPSaxMan

Albino Deer
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 12:16:59 PM »
Well it was a her (uh oh...don't wanna mess with that now do we?  :)  ). I suppose you're right...I'd just hope that they would know what the heck they were talkin about before they blurt it out. I dunno...the only RIGHT answer would come from a wildlife biologist (or sumtin of the sort  :? ).
JP