Author Topic: Competitor pistol  (Read 581 times)

Offline michbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Competitor pistol
« on: October 27, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »
Hi people.  Searching the net, I came across a single shot pistol marketed as the Competitior.  Looks kinda neat;  comes in almost any possible caliber.  Supposed to have a quick change barrel.

Anybody familiar with them?  Details?

Thanks

Michbob

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Competitor pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:36:34 PM »
Ah yes, the Competitor...One of those little knowns in the gun industry.  I'm shot a few of these guns.  They're just as accurate as they claim and in the cases I used them, just as accurate as some rifles I've fired.  As I understand it, the designer of the Magnum Research Lone eagle went out on his own, changed the cocking mechanism and created the Competitor.  It allows much easier bbl changing than th LE and is available in pretty much any chambering you can imagine.  It was fairly small operation so sometimes lead times on special orders could be a while but I'm guessing that now things may be a bit better.  I read about them occasionally on boards on long range handgun usage (silhouette, hunting).  I'm guessing that since they don't have the large budgets as other manufacturers they don't spend the advertising dollars to earn "write-ups" in magazines.  More of a specialzed model.  
  Bottom line, I was more than impressed with the ones I fired and wouldn't hesitate to own one myself.  In fact I've had my eye on one here for a while now but the owner won't budge on price.  Maybe a new one is in the near future.  If so... 357 maximum!  8)
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
Competitor pistol
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 03:03:16 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm really interested in the caliber change feature, but the web site is a bit obscure.  Is the barrel all that's changed?  Either way, the extra barrel assemblies have a cost comparable to many of the custon TC products.

Hmmmm....I might have to celebrate a Bush victory with a new purchase...(here's hoping)

Michbob

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Competitor pistol
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »
Yes, unlike the Lone Eagle pistol, the bbl is the only change needed for a cartridge change.  I do believe there is another change needed when switching from a rimfire to a centerfire or vise-versa.  Not sure if it's still true, but I think the rear sights used to be T/C.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.