Author Topic: Accurate Factory Hunting ammo for my Tikka .308????  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Medbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Accurate Factory Hunting ammo for my Tikka .308????
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:28:18 PM »
Hey Guys,

Deer season in NY is right around the corner.  My rifle is sighted and broken in with 168gr SMK Federal GMM ammo.  With this factory match ammo it shoots consistent sub MOA groups at 100 yards.  Well I fired off a few with a box of 165gr Federal Premium Vitalshock hunting rounds and the groups just about doubled.  Might be from fouling or something else  but overall I wasn't very impressed.  Other guys at the range said I was nuts but when you have a two targets right next to it showing what its capable of, what's an accuracy freak supposed to do?

My question is what ammo do you use in your .308 for whitetails and if anyone has a Tikka what does your's like for a hunting round?  

Thanks much,

Billy

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Accurate Factory Hunting ammo for my Tikka
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:22:07 PM »
I used to use Remington 150 grain PSPcl and got groups a little over an inch with it. Plenty precise for deer. Now though I reload and use 165 grain corelokts for the same accuracy and excellent performance on deer.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 06:11:27 PM »
I don't have a Tikka but my Browning A-Bolt 308 shoots as good with Remington corlokts as anything. About one inch @ 100 yds.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
How Much Accuracy You REALLY NEED?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 06:48:11 AM »
I guess it depends on how far you expect to shoot at a deer, doesn't it?    Two inches @ 100 yards is plenty good enough for deer - easily within "Minute of DEER" for hunting purposes.    IF you're shootin' much  past 200 yards, then maybe you should re-examine your hunting skills - not your shootin' skills?    I much prefer close shots and figure I did my job well if I can keep'em under 100 yards.  

Try a different brand of .308 - like some of the Remington 150gr Loads already mentioned.    Remember, standard jacketed rifle bullets perform best at an impact velocity of around 1900-2100fps - you don't need a lotta' blazing speed to kill a deer.    Premium bullets will perform at slightly higher velocity - up to about 2300fps.  

GOOD LUCK!   :D
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline TCShooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 04:10:57 PM »
Before I started reloading I just used remington 168 gr. boat tail's and had very good results with them, nice groups and took a deer at 140yds. and it dropped in it's tracks.
Gen 27:3  And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 05:47:32 PM »
I always try Hornady Custom and Light Mag and Remington ammo any time I'm looking for an accurate factory load. Almost without exception one of those will shoot sub MOA if you and the rifle are up to it. Over all the Hornady stuff has proven most accurate in a huge number of my guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 04:35:28 PM »
rickt300, would you please give me your load with the 165gr. Core Loks?

I have a bunch and would like a load for them.  For this year's season I have settled or the 150 gr factory loads which shoot pretty well in my Ruger 77 International.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:57:21 AM »
My present load is 42 grains of H4895 under the 165 grain corelokt, getting about 2600 fps. I use Federal brass.  This velocity is perfect for my under 250 yard deer hunting and this inexpensive bullet really performs on them.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.