Author Topic: left handed pistols  (Read 560 times)

Offline lefty

• Trade Count: (0)
left handed pistols
« on: October 28, 2004, 06:51:55 AM »
were can i find info on left handed pistols. using most right handed pistols makes it awkward to use because the features are set up for the right hand.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
left handed pistols
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:01:40 AM »
I'm guessing that you're talking about semi-autos here.  After all, most single action revolvers based on the Colt are left handed guns, and double actions aren't available in mirror image form. :)

My wife, dad, father-in-law, and a couple of shooting buddies are all left handed, so I've been shopping for the same thing for years in rifles and semi auto handguns.  Ambidextrous pistols are offered by most major gun makers.  For example, a lefty that likes the CZ 75 can buy a CZ 85, which has controls on both sides.  Other companies, like SIG and Heckler and Koch, have offered guns with controls swapped to the other side.  Things are really pretty good for lefties right now, because lots of guns are pretty much ambidextrous from the start.  Just pick a gun that interests you, and check the company's web site for ambidextrous/lefty friendly versions.  

My dad just learned to shoot the 1911 without changing anything, because Uncle Sam didn't bother buying aftermarket parts for lefties.  He pushes the mag release with his left index finger, and he releases the slide by pulling it back a little with his right hand and letting it snap forward to load.  The safety is also disengaged with the weak hand.  It's not ideal, but it can be done.
NRA life member

Offline lefty

• Trade Count: (0)
left handed pistols
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
thanks for the info. you are right i forgot to ad semi-autos,  i will check around.