Author Topic: Adding sights to ROA fixed.  (Read 553 times)

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Adding sights to ROA fixed.
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:24:36 PM »
Is there any reasonable way to add adjustable sights to a fixed sighted Ruger Old Army?
Or would it be advisable to sell/trade for an adjustable sight model?
Thanks
Sav
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline Fiveshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Adding sights to ROA fixed.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 07:06:51 PM »
Savorino,
              David Clements could do the work. It would involve milling the frame to accept a S&W "J" frame rear and a custom front. He does this on Ruger Vaqueros and I have had him do it for a .32 H&R Mag. Single Six.
 Unfortunately the cost including shipping would run over $200 so therefore trading towards an ajustable sighted Old Army would make more sense. What finish and barrel length is the gun you have? I have a couple of the 5.5" barreled fix sighted Old Armys and they both shoot to point of aim with round balls. All my ajustable sighted Old Armys have been fitted with a taller front sight blade so they can shoot conicals to point of aim as well as round balls. I use the fixed sighted Old Armys for round balls only.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 07:38:19 PM »
How are the round-balls on game? I've read of poor accuracy with conicals but was going to give them  a try for hunting.
Sav
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline Fiveshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Conical Accuracy in the Old Army
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »
Savorino,
               I would not hunt deer sized animals with the Old army and round balls. Although many have with success. I think what you are hearing about lack of accuracy with conicals is from people that simply have not found the right conical or gave up after the first try. I use the Lee R.E.A.L. 200 grain bullet that was originally designed for .45 caliber muzzle loading rifles. The bullet seats easily in the chambers due to its driving bands that start small enough in diameter at the base to enter the chamber squarely. The bands graduate in diameter towards the nose. The bullet also has generous lube grooves. I have 4 Old Armys that have ajustable sights and they ALL shoot this bullet with a slight accuracy edge over round balls. I also burn a lot of 777 in them. It produces more velocity than black or Pyrodex.  Also this powder seems produce a higher velocity deveation than black. The velocity deveation(at least in my testing) is higher with round balls than with the heavier conicals. If you want an Old Army with a bit more power David Clements can bore your cylinder's chambers to thier full diameter a bit deeper and get you a bit more velocity. This is a very modestly priced option. If you want an Old Army that would be more suited to deer hunting he offers a .50 Caliber(actually .485) 5 shot conversion. I should have one of these in my hands in the next few days and will post a report and pictures here.

Good Hunting,
                    Billy
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy