Author Topic: colt spring breakage?  (Read 764 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
colt spring breakage?
« on: October 31, 2004, 06:00:15 PM »
What is it about the 44 colt army that likes to break trigger and bolt springs?  Got ready to go shoot some cans and such and before heading out had to replace the spring on a 44 cal 51 navy, then while loading the 60 army I had to replace the same spring.

I've probably shot three times the number of rounds through my 51 navies in 36 without a problem.  I knew there was some reason I liked them better!

Is there a good supplier of springs for the reproduction colts out there?  Seems the Uberti springs are better, will they fit Piettas?

thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Cactus Cris

colt spring breakage?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 02:51:30 PM »
I get all my parts from VTI.  The Piettia & Uberti parts are just enough differeent that they are not interchangeable.  Have replaced  the hand/spring assy. in all 6 of my colt clones after 2 broke.  The V T I parts are better than original parts and have lasted for many matches.  Always carry spare parts with me.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Flint

springs
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 10:27:12 AM »
Also look at www.gunsprings.com (Wolff).  Under Single Action Colt, you will find both mainsprings (probably too light for cap & ball) and trigger/bolt springs, both flat and wire.  The wire won't break...  Italians have apparently never learned how to heat treat a spring.  The Ubertis also break, especially the hand spring, the most common repro spring to break.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
colt spring breakage?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 11:41:08 AM »
The newer springs from Uberti have worked better than any I've had in the past.  Since they've become readily available (Cimarron for one), I haven't broken any at all.

The round  wire Hienie trigger/bolt spring dropped right into my Pietta navy with no fitting  and perfect function.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
colt spring breakage?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 08:09:24 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll check out the Wolf springs, I've got VTI in them now, but need a few spares so I'll see what they got.

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
colt spring breakage?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »
What helps significantly is to have the spring bead blasted then electroless nickel plated. Texturing enhances fatigue resistance as it will with any spring. Plating reduces likelihood of corrosion cracking.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
colt spring breakage?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 10:23:18 AM »
Try typing VTI gun parts into your browser  window.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
springs
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 11:16:57 AM »
Hi Will52100, I have been real lucky as far as breaking springs. I only have one cap and ball revolver that broke a trigger/cylinder latch spring. It is an Uberti made 1860 Army that I bought new in 1971. Only had it about a month when it broke. The old gunsmith I bought it from replaced all the springs with a set intended for Colt. The springs came from Brownells, they supply all gunsmithing needs (www.brownells.com) . 40 plus years, and no problems. I have three other cap and balls that still have the original springs, but I have replaced springs in several European made cartridge single actions, with the same result. Brownells charge you $10 for their catalog, but refund it on your first order. They have about anything you can imagine that is gun related, and you will find yourself ordering often, and will get their new catalog sent to you every time they bring one out. Hope this helps, cowpox
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Potato Frizz

colt spring breakage?
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 11:29:57 AM »
Searching the web for VTI Replica Gun Parts brings up some weird results.

The link is www.vtigunparts.com