Author Topic: springfield xd??  (Read 957 times)

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
springfield xd??
« on: November 01, 2004, 11:45:32 AM »
im thinking abt getting a new auto
i was at the local gunshop today and checked out the xd in 40s&w
i really like the way it felt in my hand
but when it comes to an handgun i have always liked the 45 calibers
i saw in a magazine that springfield is coming out with the xd in 45gap
does anyone carry the xd?? does anyone shoot the gap??
i know that the gap is only offered in the glock right now but does anyone have any experience with it??
i would appreciate your opinions on this
thanks,
sureshot

Offline TScottW99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
springfield xd??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:33:02 PM »
I have an XD9 and love it.  Great shooting and feeling gun and 100% reliable.  As to the .45gap, I wouldn't mind it maybe one day.  I wouldn't want it in the XD though, the magazine only holds 8 rounds and it is the full size pistol.  I'd be very happy with the .357sig or .40S&W full size though.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
springfield xd??
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:51:21 PM »
My dad just started as a firearm instructor at a local police academy and the XD pistols have been really popular.  I'm not really sold on the 45 gap, mainly just biased against it because it tries to suplant my favorite auto handgun cartridge, the 45 acp.  So far the 40 S&W and the 9mm have been very popular in the academies that he has taught in.  THe general consesus is that they a new and improved glock.  I would stick with the 40S&W.  It is a proven self defence cartridge and a natural for a concealed pistol.  I don't think you can go wrong with the new XD for the money either.   Good luck.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
springfield xd??
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:02 PM »
I almost bought an XD, and it looks like a great gun.  However, the slide serations don't offer as good a gripping surface as some other pistols, and Mrs. Leverfan had trouble working the slide.  That disqualified it, for me.  If I buy a defensive gun, every responsible member of my household needs to be able to use it easily.  Other guns give a better surface to hold on to, so we went with a CZ 85.
NRA life member

Offline JerseyJoe

springfield xd??
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:32:57 AM »

Here is my XD 40...Like you said lever, it just fits your hand so well. A nice light gun that shoots well. I only put about 100 rds out of it and it performed well. This has become my main squeeze for protection..

Offline farmerboyMT

springfield xd??
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »
I got mine yesterday ( 40 S&W) and I love it.  I got the 5 inch tatical model.  I liked the 4 inch but I love the sight radius on the 5 inch.  Took it out to the range today and put a box of American Eagle through it.  The XD shoots really well.  This is the first handgun I've owned so I can't really comment on anything else.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
springfield xd??
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 07:07:31 PM »
it just fits your hand so well

I can tell ya why.  Just looking at it, what came to my mind is "The Luger," or also known as the "Parabellum P'08".  It was touted during WWII as one of the MOST comfortable pistols ever made at that time.  Even US soldiers who had the chance to retrieve one no doubt complemented it's design and comfort.  Inherently pointed where you wanted it, and conformed to the natural position of your hand.  And that is what I see there, JerseyJoe.

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/luppa.html

Take a look and you'll see the similarity in shape and design in an instant.  If you don't, take special note of the forward slant the entire gun has, and the grip's angle.  Those Germans were very ingenious in their process of gewer manufacture.  Marvelous pistol by the way. :wink:   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Wolfe

springfield xd??
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 08:19:03 AM »
I've had my XD9 for awhile now and I am still pleased as punch. The XD is not a new pistol. It was previously sold as a HS2000. Springfield now has the rights to them. The guns are made in croatia.  For more info on XD's Check out  www.HS2000talk.com

Offline JerseyJoe

springfield xd??
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 10:45:35 AM »
Thank you for the history Patriot. Very similiar in design. The germans were known for thier engineering back in the day!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
springfield xd??
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 07:21:57 AM »
If I hadn't come across the smoking deal I got on my S&W 6904 I had plans to purchase the XD-9 Subcompact...I am still thinking of purchasing one.  It's a nice little gun...Nice price too...About $425 or so.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Savage

springfield xd??
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 11:10:59 AM »
The XD grip angle is in no way simular to the Luger. I have heard the XD touted to have the grip angle of a 1911, and cannot argue with that. The Luger sits low in the hand with it's low bore axis, as opposed to the XD wich has a rather high bore axis. I have heard many persons comment on the XD as having similarities in looks to the SIG & Glock, and similar feel to 1911s, but never to a Luger! That's a new one on me.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
springfield xd??
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 01:15:36 PM »
I agree it does not look extremely similar.  I just meant the there are some interesting similarities involved with many different pistols out today.  I mostly see them taking after only two designs: the M1911, or the Luger.  I don't see a third "breed design" in many pistols out there.  They all take on and combine the many comfortable features that came naturally with the design of those two specific pistols.  I find their popularity is unmatched in my opinion (how come they are still the most recognizable shooting tools even now?) as I read many match shooters use the M1911 based pistols with highly modified frames, chamber, etc.  But the main point I was showing was how the older (and more comfortable) characteristics shown in earlier days are still, interestingly, in use today. :D   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
springfield xd??
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 06:04:43 PM »
XD grip fits just like this: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg17-e.htm
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Wolfe

springfield xd??
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »
Wow that is amazingly similar. Nice work.

Offline williamlayton

springfield xd??
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 12:13:41 AM »
BF-
thanx for the link. I found it very likeable and will refer to it again.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
springfield xd??
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 04:58:52 PM »
Thanks Butler Ford, I do stand corrected.  I'm thankful for the insight as well.  I didn't know the FN brand pistols are extensive in manufacturing, as evidenced that my knowledge of them is quite limited; with the exception of the Five-seveN. :D   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
springfield xd??
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 06:51:33 AM »
My XD9 shoots great. It's the only fixed sighted gun I've shot that shoots to my point of aim and it feels great in my hand.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
springfield xd??
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 03:30:05 AM »
I don't own an XD but I did have the chance to shoot the .40 XD.  This pistol just felt good and shot even better!!  I will be getting an XD in the future!!
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D