Author Topic: Pardner for waterfowl  (Read 453 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner for waterfowl
« on: November 01, 2004, 12:23:53 PM »
Can you safely fire steel shot through a 12 ga. pardner with a modified choke?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Pardner for waterfowl
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:26:16 PM »
short answer. yes
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner for waterfowl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:33:26 PM »
Yup, my son uses a 20 gauge mod choke Pardner with steel shot and I use a 12 gauge mod choke Parnder with heavy shot.  Here's a picture of my son, his 20 gauge Pardner, and the first goose he took with it.  Good Luck.

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Pardner for waterfowl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 04:11:06 AM »
Real nice lookin' bird. And with a 20 gauge yet. I use my 10 for geese because were not real good at callin' yet. Birds end up at the edge of our decoy spread and ranges tend to be spread out a bit.  Is the key in calling, deke set-up or a combination of both? I see what looks to be a lay-out blind in the picture does that make a big difference. We might end up using some sort of lay-out blind when the rest of the corn we hunt in gets cut.

I've got a picture of my goose in a thread called what I did after work today. Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I've really gotten hooked on this goose hunting stuff.

Nixter

PS. Mooonlitin', in the pic I see what seems to be a decoy with it's wings spread as if to take-off or just for the fun of it. I've seen geese flap and honk on the ground without taking off before. Why do they do this and where might one find a deke like this?

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner for waterfowl
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 02:57:11 PM »
Nixter, thanks for the kind words.  My son and I were hunting with a very experienced goose hunter friend of mine, so I won't pretend have the answers to your questions.  It does seem like the key is both the decoys and the calling.  The picture of my son has a bunch of silhouette decoys in the background.  Sometimes he uses the full body decoys instead.  The lay-out blinds seem to work great, and they are quite comfortable as well.  He also uses two of the "flapper decoys".

Good Luck