Author Topic: Elk bowhunt  (Read 504 times)

Offline ras308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Elk bowhunt
« on: November 03, 2004, 03:28:10 AM »
We are planning a bowhunt for elk next year in the Pagosa area, trying to get started with the planning and have a few questions I could use some help with.  We are thinking about heading up maybe the second week of the season, what can we expect as far as a normal temperature range?  Does anyone have a preference or suggestion for a comfortable boot, I would guess there will be a bunch of walking?  What is a good cow call and instructional video to find?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Elk bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 11:07:38 AM »
:D I only hunted around there once many years ago. If you are up high (over 8000ft) the weather can change alot. It can be hot during the day and likely cool or cold at night. It could snow at any time but may be 70's to 80 during the day.
I use Rocky boots and have been happy. Danners are good too. You want a study boot for rough county, waterproof, and yet not any heavier than necessary. Buy something quality that can breathe when hot but insulated enough to keep you warm walking through snow.
I like those simple rubber band cow calls the best. Maybe you can rent 3 or 4 videos and watch them rather than buy one or borrow a few and then buy the one that seems most helpful. :cb1:

Offline ras308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Early elk
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:12:21 AM »
I've been doing some reading and what you say seems to be the rule.  I am planning on buying some boots soon so I can get them good and broke in.  I'm also starting an exercise program and plan to be in pretty good shape by next season.  Thanks for your reply!!!