Author Topic: U Port It--Do it yourself porting jig  (Read 1296 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
U Port It--Do it yourself porting jig
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:37:50 AM »
Recent talk of home shop porting job got me on a search and I stumbled across this:

http://www.uportit.com

I am told by the gunsmiths at Brownells that if you fill the bore of the gun with Cerrosafe in the area to be ported, that you will end up with no burrs to remove--kinda like using a backer block to prevent tear out when drilling through wood.

I am especially interested in doing this on my slug guns, but seems like a winner for any of these light weight guns shooting the heavier loads.

I was going to get my Tracker II and Ultraslug Magnaported, but for the price of those 2 guns, I could buy this jig and do it myself.

If I were to aquire this gizmo, would there be any interest here in "rentals" so one could do his own porting job?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »
How much do you think you would charge to try it on one of my NEF's? What gauge would it be for and how much is enough Cerrosafe to do one gun? I might be interested in trying it to see the results....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jeff223

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 11:55:51 AM »
a friend of mine ported an old single shot savage 12 ga for me.that savage was used for turkey hunting before i got the NEF 10 ga.now this savage loaded with 3 inch turkey loads would loosen you teeth when you pulled the trigger.the porting job helped out alot.the recoil was cut some and the barrel lift was cut down by 3/4 of what the gun had.the old savage then just drove straight back.

i would talk to a gun smith before porting a rifled barrel that you want to use with slugs.im sure it can be done with no sweet but check it out first

also the muzzle blast or report is alot greater with a ported barrel

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:53:18 PM »
Same ? as MSP RET. I'm in the rental bussiness and this would not be a money maker but I'd bet there are enough guys interested to help offset your cost . The main concern for me would be cost since according to my wife we are completely broke.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 10:18:14 PM »
I was thinking around $25 or so, plus the shipping. As to how much Cerrosafe, I'm not sure exactly, would have to be enough to fill the bore through the area to be ported. The Cerrosafe can be remelted and reused from what I understand, so you should be able to do multiple guns with the same batch. Brownells sells it by the pound and 1/2 pound. I would probably just get a pound of the stuff.

The manufacturer shows the jig on 10-28ga barrels in their drawings, but doesn't specifically say what sizes it will work on. I'm assuming 10-28ga though.

Jeff, when I talked to Brownells gun tech, I was specifically asking about the rifled barrels, as the manufacturer of the jig recommends honing the barrel of a smoothbore to remove burrs. They informed me that several people have reported good results with the Cerrosafe.

Offline brown-trout

porting
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 03:31:26 AM »
i used a drill, a vise and a steady hand to do mine.........
not pretty but it works..........
bt
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:41:32 AM »
Brown Trout,

I prefer to use a jig to insure that the holes are spaced evenly and at the same angle.

I am thinking of trying to build my own jig though.

Thinking of using pieces of angle iron and pre drilling the holes on a drill press so I can index them accurately. I can then use a standard woodworkers drill bushing and move it from hole to hole.

The angle iron should center itself on the barrel, I just have to figure a way to ensure a proper horizontal alignment.

If I do figure it out, I'm going to start out with my Pardner smoothbore to see if the Cerrosafe does work to prevent burrs. If it does not, then I can hone it back smooth, rather than ruining one of my rifled barrels.

Oh well, something to think over while sitting in my deer stand next week.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 11:49:39 AM »
I think I am going to chop 6" off a 28" barrel I have ,your welcome to have the end to practice on if you want it. I'd hate to see you trash a good barrel for an experiment. How would you pour the kerrosafe? Plug the muzzel and pour it through the breech?

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 12:29:23 PM »
I gather thats how to do it. Brownells lists some rough directions to plug the chamber with it, I assuming the bore would be reverse. I will probably send a question back to their gun tech that advised it to begin with and see what they say.

If you have an extra piece of barrel, that would be cool.

This is probably going to be a winter (jan/feb) project. Too much going on right now with the advent of Opening Day on Monday the 15th, then holidays, then muzzleloading, then holidays again.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 12:48:37 PM »
I know what you mean about it being a winter project. My work slows down this time of year and my wife has me doing all of the things I've neglected all summer. Add in hunting and there aint much time for gun projects. I'm lucky If mine even get a proper cleaning. I'll let you know when I cut that hunk of barrel off.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 01:10:50 PM »
Markus,

By the way, what kind of rental business are you in? I'm in the rental business too--pumps, portable tanks, portable filtration equipment.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:18:44 AM »
I work for a mid sized general rental stor. I'm the department mgr in charge of the  event side. Me and 14 other men put up tents and suc for high end weddings, parties and such. Tents up to 60'x 200' and everything that goes with them. A ball buster of a job in the busy season but it allows me to hunt in the winter and most of the waterfowl huntiing I do is with people I meet on the job.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 03:46:15 AM »
Thats cool,

Our business is also seasonal, being that we're dealing with liquid on construction sites, etc, hard to work during cold months and equipment freezes up. Actually, every year we get some portable 21k Gallon tanks that customers let freeze, and then have to keep them on rent until the spring when they thaw.

I am outside sales rep, so my schedule is fluid allowing me to get some hunting time in also. I make up for it in the spring and summer months, though.