Author Topic: Hunting from a portable blind  (Read 667 times)

Offline Brian T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting from a portable blind
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:11:47 PM »
I bought one of the portable "dog house" hunting blinds to use this year.  I do not have exclusive use of the property so I cannot leave it on site to let the deer get used to seeing it.  Do you think that having it just be there one morning will spook them?  I plan to put it in a treeline over looking a small field.  Shots would range from pont blank to 60 yards.  Thoughts please!!

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 07:25:39 PM »
I don't believe it will as long as you're not right out in the wide open with it. Try to make sure you have at least some cover in front and more in back.

I too will be using one this season and the same way. I cannot leave it either. I just plan to make sure I have a good screening cover behind me and some cover in front.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 01:11:10 AM »
Graybeard has it right. I have used one several times and as long as you don't put it out in the open, you will be OK. I always have it with some kind of bushes in the back round.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 03:01:35 PM »
I too was thinking about a portable blind as well. My dad and I do a lot of hunting out of treestands but he has a bad shoulder so I want to look into something different.

Also, I noticed that some deer in one of my favorite spots seem to have changed their patterns. They're moving a good 50 to 60 yards away from me. I think that setting up a blind would catch them off guard.

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 12:36:15 AM »

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:44:02 AM »
I too use a portable blind at times and I try to nestel it into an area that will provide some natural cover. I also take some of the surrounding natural ground cover (Ie: ferns, dead branches, etc.) and dress up the exterior of the blind a bit to break up the outline and make it look more "in-place" with everything around it. It normally takes about 5-10 minutes of a little extra effort to make any portable blind look more natural in it's setting.
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn