Author Topic: Good Buy on a Pardner  (Read 566 times)

Offline yukonjim

• Trade Count: (1)
Good Buy on a Pardner
« on: November 06, 2004, 06:07:54 AM »
A local pawn shop advertised "all shotguns half price".  Well as you can expect most were well worn old pumps.  However there sat a like new 12 gauge Mod. Pardner.  Got it for half price which was less tha half a new price.  Got it home and apparently it had never been shot because there was still grease on receiver face, clean barrel and no scratches.  What a deal.

I posted a want for a 30-30 barrel for my Sharki in the classifieds but I think might put it on the Pardner when I find one.  Has anyone done that?  Results?  From some of the posts I've read there is no problem with the sb-1 handling the 30-30 chamber pressures.  Would like to find a 20 gauge or maybe even a .410 barrel for it if anyone has one they want to get rid of "cheap".

Yukonjim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Good Buy on a Pardner
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 09:31:08 AM »
Good luck finding a 30-30 barrel yokonjim and get in line. I have been actively seeking one for quite a while now. It seems those that have them don't sell them often. You should have better luck finding shotgun barrels, even a 20 and a .410. I have had a few I have sold here myself. What is harder to come by is a good 16 gauge barrel (I have been lookin for one of those for a while also) and a used 28. I have never seen a used 28 gauge barrel for sale but they are available new. Keep your eye's open, there are good deals to be had on this forum....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline yukonjim

Good Buy on a Pardner
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »
MSP Ret,

Thanks for the input.  I gather that you are also looking to put a 30-30 on a Pardner sb-1.  I think maybe I'll look for 20 gauge slug barrel.  Wonder how may of them are out there for sale.  A slug barrel would make good close in deer gun.  However here in the southeastern part of Washington State the woods are sparse.  But my understanding a slug gun is good for about 150 to 200 yards,  Would go for a muzzle loader barrel but breech loaded primer's (like the NEF's) are not legal here.  Sure handicaps the muzzle loader hunter, especially in the rain.

yukonjim

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Good Buy on a Pardner
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 12:42:40 PM »
Quote from: yukonjim
MSP Ret,

I think maybe I'll look for 20 gauge slug barrel.  Wonder how may of them are out there for sale....  my understanding a slug gun is good for about 150 to 200 yards,  
yukonjim

Think you have been misinformed.  A shotgun slug looses way too much kinetic energy to be affective out beyond 125 yards or so.  Besides the trajectory is about like a rainbow.  Even the best slugs and slug guns are best used this side of 75 yards.  Check the link to this article, very informative.  http://www.huntontario.com/articles/learn-your-limits/
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Good Buy on a Pardner
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »
I agree with Brett yukonjim, I feel the max for shotguns on deer with all being right is about 125 yards. I read here about guys thinking 200 yards is possible but I for one don't think it is reasonable or ethical. Here in the home state of H&R neither the Huntsman or sidekick is legal either ( :( ). I still hunt black powder season here and in Maine with my TC renegades. They are accurate and round balls sure do put the deer down within reasonable ranges. That is the key however, stay within the reasonable accuracy and energy range of whatever you are using and it will work. Good luck to you and there has been a rifled slug barrel for sale around this forum just recently, I thought it was a 20 but it may have been a 12, in my way of thinking, all the better, although many seem to prefer the 20 for less perceived recoil....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline yukonjim

Good Buy on a Pardner
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 11:11:26 AM »
Looks like I am not looking for a 20 gauge barrel anymore.  quickdtoo said like2hunt had one posted on the Classifieds.  But wouldn't you know i ran across another deal like the Pardner.  A complete 20 gauge single shot for a little more than the cost of the 20 gauge barrel like2hunt listed his barrel for sale. It is not a neff. Made in Brazil. In real good condition, 28 in. barrel, full choke, 3 in. chamber and hammer cocked like the neff. The forearm is much bigger than a Pardner. Shoulders real good. Release is like a ljutic, in front of the trigger guard. Will call it my "Poor Mans Ljutic". Can't wait to try it and the Pardner out at the trap range.

Still looking for a 30-30 barrel for the Pardner though.

yukonjim