Author Topic: Ever been uneasy about gutting a deer near your stand??  (Read 693 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ever been uneasy about gutting a deer near your stand??
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:59:09 AM »
Early yesterday evening, I shot a decent 8-pt.  He ran close to 100 yards even though I put the 30-06 round exactly where it shoulda been.  He jumped the fence into the neighboring farm.  When I went to get him, I left my gun and other hunting gear leaning against a fence post and would come back to get it after I had the deer loaded.  It was early (5pm) and I had plenty of time.

I dressed him in the field, then started off on my 1/2 mile drag to a place I could pull my truck in to get him back to the house.  Along the walk, I started wondering if the gut pile would affect my hunting next weekend.  After dragging to within 200 yards of the spot, I left the deer in an easement road on the other property so I could get my truck.

When I came back for the deer...I saw another 7 or 8pt (couldn't see if he had dog-catchers) that was following the path I had drug my deer!  He was heading toward the deer from the place I had gutted the deer.  He was trotting with his head down almost like he was tracking a doe.

THEN...after I had the deer loaded, I had to walk back to get my gear.  When I got to within 100-150 yards of my stand, I noticed a doe that was sniffing the post my gun was leaning on.

And to think I have spent all that money on "stink and de-stink" stuff, when all I had to do was drop some blood and gun powder around my stand.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Ever been uneasy about gutting a deer near
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:01:30 PM »
I have always seen deer be interested in gut piles etc...  Dont have a clue why.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:38:48 PM »
I have killed deer within sight of a gut pile twice. I was apprehensive both times, but the deer still came. I wouldn't worry about it.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:05:20 PM »
I left my gun and other hunting gear leaning against a fence post and would come back to get it after I had the deer loaded.

This is never a good thing to do! always keep a loaded weapon with you when you approch a downed deer. They have been known to jump up even after you think they are dead.

I have seen gut piles disappear with in 12 hours. I generally don't gut them close to my stand, not because I am scared deer may shy away from it but I do not want to attract all the scavengers in the area and if it should sit several days it will start to smell and I would not like to sit in my stand all day smelling rotting guts.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 02:24:04 PM »
This is never a good thing to do! always keep a loaded weapon with you when you approch a downed deer. They have been known to jump up even after you think they are dead.

I guess I shoulda elaborated... I ALWAYS pack a 357 loaded with 3HPs (for VERY close/finishing shots) and 3 Ratshot for snakes.  It was just my understanding that it's bad form (possibly illegal??) to take a loaded rifle onto someone else's property, even if tracking a downed deer.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline rickyp

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 02:38:40 PM »
It was just my understanding that it's bad form (possibly illegal??) to take a loaded rifle onto someone else's property, even if tracking a downed deer.

Don't know about in TX but in Maryland we have the right to get and dispatch wounded game. This doesn't mean you can hunt on the land while looking for your animal. track the animal finish it off if needed and get back out.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:20:48 PM »
I have seen deer actually eat the contents of the stomach from fresh gutpile, especially if theres a lot of corn in there.

Also, last year, shot the Matriarch Mama Doe who had 7 anterless deer with her at the time. They all hung  around nervously  for nearly 30 minutes after she dropped, not knowing what to do. They only finally scattered after I got up to go check her out.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 04:55:48 PM »
It is against the law in Texas to cross on to someone else's property with a FIREARM.  If the property owner elects to, he can press charges (even though you are attempting to retrieve a downed game animal) for trespassing with the intent of poaching.  

I know of several cases where this has happened.  Matter of fact, several years ago as I was driving across my property one afternoon I noticed a pick-up parked across the fence next to my property.  I had never seen the truck before and thought it strange that it was there.  I dropped off a ridge, crossed a dry creek and started up the other side when I seen someone in one of my deer blinds.  I drove toward the blind, the guy jumped out ran across the dry creek at a point I couldn't cross with my truck.  I got out and shouted for him to come back, he turned and shot in my direction.  I retrieved my SKS and started to pepper his butt good, but didn't.  I jumped back in my truck and drove to the place I had seen the truck parked.  I pulled into some brush, slipped across the fence and cut all four valve stems at the rim, went back to my truck and waited. After about an hour he came out.  I asked him what he was doing, he answered "Just who the ^%$#@*& do you think you are and why are you asking.  I explained I was the property owner, and that I had not given anyone permission to come on the property. (it was legally posted).  I finally got his identification and had just finished writing his name and address in my book when I noticed another strange guy approaching, about that time I seen the third guy.  Since the odds were in their favor, I ask them to leave in a nice way, jumped in my truck and left.  I drove down to the nearest phone and called a game warden.   Non was available, but when I told my story, they sent a county deputy out.  He and I went back to find four of them by the out-of-commission pick-up.  Their story, We crossed the fence looking for a deer we shot.  Since they had been such a bunch of A$$ holes, I pressed charges.  The judge finded them two thousand dollars each, they lost their guns, the tow bill on the truck was $300. And they could not get a Texas hunting license for five years.

If the guy had been half nice,most likely I would have let them look for their deer, or at least I would have just ask them to leave.  But since there was no deer, one had shot at me (?) and the others gave me a hard time I wanted to set an example.  Funny, the one that took the shot was named FINKE, he was a Chaplins Assistant at the local Air Force Base.  THe guy that owns the property next to me caught some folks hunting on his property, he got the drop on them, chained them to a tree and called the game warren.  He was in trouble for false imprisonment and they for trespassing, both dropped charges.  But I'd bet after five hours at below freezing those boys will think twice before crossing someone else's property line.

Bottom line, in Texas, it's up to the land owner, but they can press charges if they desire.  If it's POSTED, you sure don't want to cross the fence.  By the way, in Texas, it is not necessary to have a POSTED sign.  If the tops of every third-fourth fence post is painted PURPLE, it's the same as a sign.  I suggest reading the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual (Hunting and fishing regulations) You should have recieved one when you got your license.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 11:15:19 PM »
I have seen deer actually eat the contents of the stomach from fresh gutpile, especially if theres a lot of corn in there.

Also, last year, shot the Matriarch Mama Doe who had 7 anterless deer with her at the time. They all hung  around nervously  for nearly 30 minutes after she dropped, not knowing what to do. They only finally scattered after I got up to go check her out.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 03:37:31 AM »
I just found out that in Maryland (at least in the county that I live)  the police will not prosecute someone truss passing unless the land is clearly marked.

It is always good to ask the landowners permission before tracking your animal on his/her land.

The thing about MD is we have so many anti hunting people that go out and buy large lots of land just to keep hunters from going on them. they love to buy as much land around public hunting land as they can thinking they will be able to stop the hunting. this is one of the reasons
hunters has the right (and duty) to retrieve the animal if passable

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 04:41:21 AM »
My stand, target shooting range, and gut pile are encompassd a 2acre area of land. Never had a problem seeing deer. Deer get used to anything.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 06:24:56 AM »
Might want to drag the caucus away from your general area of your stand, if you are still going to hunt out of it. Sometimes the gut will attract crows and coyotes and other varmints, this may keep deer out of the aarea, in saying this I have also seen deer dig through the gut pile, maybe wondering where there mate or friend went, deer don't know what death really is,simple minded animals, just know, something happens and there gone. Sometimes bye hanging the bladder with pee in it with a small pin hole, the scent will attract deer in the area, I have seen this more than once, I save the deer pee for mock scrapes and drags, this method works well due to the deer is from the area, that is important when using deer scents. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.