Author Topic: 25 yard sight in  (Read 884 times)

Offline colorado kid

• Trade Count: (0)
25 yard sight in
« on: November 09, 2004, 08:54:35 AM »
Hello everybody this is the colorado kid.

I need your help to answer a question that I have about 25yd sight in. The question is if I sighted in my savage striker at 25yds to hit dead center how far off will I be at a 100yds. There is a discussion here in my office that I would be at least an inch high. I read an article in guns and ammo that said I should be on at a 100yds. Is it true or not. :D
8)  :sniper:

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
25 yard sight in
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »
well im not good at this kind of stuff but i would say any were from 3/4 of an inch to an 1 1/4 only reasion i say this is every rifle box i seen that has ballistics on it shows a jump from the muzzle on the ark

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
25 yard sight in
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 10:49:31 AM »
The ONLY way to know is to shoot it. Anything else is pure guess work and not to be relied on. I've had guns hit from dead on to 6" high after being dead on at 25 yards. The ONLY thing a 25 yard zero is good for is it should have you on paper at 100 yards and usually does.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
25 yard sight in
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 12:40:15 PM »
Slavage,

The "jump from the muzzle" is derived from a common misconception that a bullet rises as it leaves the muzzle. In fact, a bullet, as all projectiles travelling horizontally on Earth, begins to fall as soon as it leaves the muzzle. This rate of fall is purely a function of mass and shape and has NOTHING to do with forward motion. The bullet would fall at exactly the same rate from a straight line down the barrel of your gun as it would if you simply dropped it from the muzzle. So the "arc" we all know of as the bullet trajectory is a curve that continues downward at an increasing rate.

Why does the trajectory of a bullet appear to "jump", or go upward, at the beginning of the trajectory? Because the line of sight of your sights or scope is not exactly aligned with the line down the center of your barrel. The sight line is tilted slightly downward, so that it crosses the bullet trajectory. The further downward it is adjusted, the "higher" the bullet appears to "rise" in a trajectory.

Hope that wasn't too technical, but I thought it needed to be clarified.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
25 yard sight in
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 12:40:26 PM »
I have this discussion a lot with people. I only use a 25 yards sight in to get me on paper. I then move out to 100 yards and adjust my scope for 2 inchs high at 100 yards. Now when I come back to 25 yards I am still 2 inches high. But it does not work that way if you sight in for 25 yards and then shoot at 100 yards.
To notice any movement on adjusting the scope at 25 yards, you have to move it a lot of clicks, but at 100 yards the movement is more noticeable. Hope this helped.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
25 yard sight in
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 02:35:16 PM »
I am shooting PMC 240 gr tnc bullets out of a Marlin 1894p  44 mag (16.5" barrel) I have finally got it on paper(large part  of the problem myself) I am very centered 1+" group  at 25 and 5" high. I can not imagine my looking at a shot at 100 yds thru recvr sights, using a 44 mag.
This hold is ok but where would I be at 50 and 75 yds. I have no idea what this factory rnd gets out at, say 1500. A hand load in cast 265 would be what I would use for hog and bear. Am I to high at this sight in in your general thinking.
Jim

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
25 yard sight in
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 02:39:02 PM »
I am sorry I thought I was on the rifle page. Your input would still be welcome.
Jim

Offline Van/TX

• Avid Poster
25 yard sight in
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 09:17:25 AM »
Depends, for one thing on how high above the bore the sight is mounted.  But as others have said you have to shoot it to find out.  Good luck......Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
25 yard sight in
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 10:47:07 AM »
Hmmm, "Colorado Kid" from Utah.  I had a friend in college whose nickname was "Tex", and he was from Minnesota.  :?

Anyway, If I sight in dead on at 25 yds I am always several inches high at 100 yds.  This has been common with all of my rifles.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline jlk

25yd Sight In
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:49:32 AM »
I usually sight in at 25yds at 1" low, this gets me on paper at 100yds and I am usually not more than 3-4" high at 100yds. This is out of an Encore pistol with 22-250, 7-08 & 308 barrels.
One Well Placed Shot Is All It Takes