Author Topic: Help with bullet selection  (Read 410 times)

Offline jackD

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with bullet selection
« on: November 09, 2004, 01:49:43 PM »
Looking for something new in my 7mm stw, I have tried the ballistic tip and gameking because both were very accurate, but now I am more concerned with an nice exit wound. I like the A-frames in my .270, that is really all I shoot in that gun and that is the gun I normally use. My stw doesn't like the A frame so well, so I was thinking about the new accubond, nosler solid base, or the trophy bonded bearclaw.  But would they hold up at all ranges with the velocity of the STW?

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 02:18:01 PM »
I've seen what the new accubond can do on two deer this year. Both out of my 7mmRM. Both shot's were in the 250yd range and both times the bullets performed well.

First one entered at the base of the right side of the neck and exited behind the left front shoulder, left a 50 cent piece hole in the rib cage. Deer turned and fell dead.

Second deer was hit front side of the left shoulder and exited through rib cage and through the right front leg. Leg was all but blown off. Deer spun a 180 as it fell over dead.  Couldn't be happier with performance from these new bullets.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 03:35:50 AM »
.284" 154 grain Hornady Interbond
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »
:D Hey there reloaders,

With the 7mm STW I can't believe you'd want anything but a preimum bullet of which we are now blessed with many.

From my personal experience and IMHO, you won't do any better then the Nosler Partition.

I have used them for years in calibers ranging from a 243 to the 300mag. and have NEVER had anything but great performence.

Times when I could have lost a bunch of meat, they didn't creat the damage I would have expected with a lesser bullet and times when there could have been a       mess there wasn't.

I like/trust them enough that at present I am using a 165gr. partition in the 300 Win. at between 3100 and 3200fps. I wouldn't trust a lesser bullet in the task I put this Nosler to.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 01:21:52 PM »
jackD,

The 7mm STW NEEDS bullets like the Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX.  Most anything else is a waste of meat.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.