Author Topic: Calling Tactics  (Read 556 times)

Offline Bob the Cynic

• Trade Count: (0)
Calling Tactics
« on: November 10, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
Tuesday morning I was at my stand and I saw a nice buck cutting across the ridge up from me.  He was trotting along and from the angle he was moving he would be over the ridge before he reached my shooting lanes.

I give a doe bleat.  The buck stops.  Between him and me are several small trees and one big hemlock.  This is a classic hemlock; large branches spill down like heavy curtains sweeping the ground.  No shot.  The buck begins to move to my left near the crest of the ridge.  I blow the doe bleat again.  He stops.  After a few loooonnnggg moments he begins to move down the ridge.  The hemlock that blocked my shot now screens me from him.  I slowly shift over to a small tree to use as a rest.  The deer continues down the ridge.  He disappears behind a cluster of small trees that completely blocks my view of that one part of the ridge.  Beyond that it opens up and I should have a good opportunity for a shot.  I wait for him to step into the open.  I wait some more.  I continue to wait.  Oops!  He turns around and heads back up the ridge.  I bleat again.  He stops.  Getting crafty, I follow the bleat up with a soft buck grunt.  He immediately starts back down the ridge heading directly toward me.  The hemlock is still screening my view.  I'm trying to peer through the branches.  Is he going left, right, where is he?  He stops again.  Now I'm a little reluctant to call again.  I've been busted by over-calling in the past and I'm also thinking that from his vantage point up on the ridge he is hearing deer but not seeing any and that has got to be making him uneasy.  Sure enough he heads back up the ridge.  I try the bleat again.  This time he keeps going and disappears over the ridge.

I know some of you out there feel my pain, but more than sympathy I'm looking for advice.  Is there anything that I could have done different calling-wise to pull that guy in?

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
Calling Tactics
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 04:47:16 AM »
Sorry about that, but alll I can say from my own experience is sometimes it works (mostly on small deer :roll: ) and sometimes it don't(like on the deer I would shoot :roll: ). I do pretty much the same thing calling wise and turned a fork around at 90 yds this week. I didn't want him but it was fun to get to check him out. Two days ago, I couldn't get this six pointer to do anything but stare at me. It seems I always get one of three results 1) Stop and stare 2) turn and come in 3) completely ignored, almost like they can't hear it. If you get a better method let me know, good luck :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Calling Tactics
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 05:17:31 AM »
You  may want to consider a decoy. There are those fold up kind that fit into your backpack. If it see's a deer it will keep coming. I had great success with mine. I took a 6 point today. The buck went right to it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Bob the Cynic

Calling Tactics
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 12:47:31 PM »
Toecutter said

It seems I always get one of three results 1) Stop and stare 2) turn and come in 3) completely ignored, almost like they can't hear it.

That has pretty much been my experience too.  I have had good success getting deer that are going away to stop by calling, but little success drawing them in close.  Sometimes getting them to stop is enough though.   :grin:  

Redhawk1 said:  
You may want to consider a decoy.

I've thought of that.  In this case I think it would have made the difference.  The way the buck kept hanging up up on the ridge I'm pretty sure he was trying to see the deer that he kept hearing and when he couldn't he decided that he had had enough and walked off.

I'm a little nervous about using a decoy during firearm season.  This area isn't very heavily hunted so if I'm careful about where I set it up in relation to me I should be ok.  I may give it a shot.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Calling Tactics
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:38:53 PM »
I have shot 72 bucks, and a couple of dozen does since I turned 13 in
Dec 59'. All but 2 on public land. On and off over the past 20 years, I have tried calls, doe pee, etc. I can honestly say never did I feel a deer I viewed, was attracted to any of this. To the point now that I feel like a fool, grunting like a pig, smelling like a barnyard. Tried Tinks 69, and grunt in an area that I'm batting .500 over the past 4 years on bucks.
First year I didn't see a deer. Another muzzleloader opener awaits me tomorrow. I will do what has brought me success in New York, North Dakota, Texas, and North Carolina. I will hunt sign, white oak ridges, etc. On an opening day, I spend the whole day stationary, near escape routes preferably near laurel or rhodendron, again near white oak if possible.
I pee when I have to, where I hunt. I'm convinced this doesn't matter.
Many deer have been shot directly in front of my "johnny spot".
I believe the biggest tools in my success... 1. Patience.. 2. Exercise addiction!

Offline Bob the Cynic

Calling Tactics
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 05:05:21 AM »
tscott wrote:  
I believe the biggest tools in my success... 1. Patience.. 2. Exercise addiction!

There are no substitutes for patience and scouting in my book.    

When I started hunting, folks would have laughed their asses off at the idea of paying $10 for a bottle of animal piss.  Now, well, like many folks I'm willing to give most anything a try.  All the scents, calls and decoys in the world won't help you if you're sittin' where the deer ain't.  Knowing the land, reading the sign and having the patience to tough it out are still the keys to successful deer hunting.  If calls and scents help a little bit (they can) from time to time (they do) I'll use 'em.  They may help some if used in the right place at the right time, but finding that place and being there at the right time are still the most important things.  

I can honestly say never did I feel a deer I viewed, was attracted to any of this.

I agree.  

I can't say that any deer I've ever seen was attracted by scents or calls but I have had them stop and in some cases come closer to investigate in response to calls.  I have also had deer stop in the place I wanted them to to sniff scent I put there.  So again these tools have their place but they are no substitute for being able to put yourself in the right spot to begin with.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Calling Tactics
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 03:31:31 PM »
Hey, good comments. No scents, no grunts today. I did smell from sweating in the heat of a glorious sunny day afield, but I played the wind .
I decided to try my Huntsman with .90gr of 777, 295 Powerbelt, at about 125 yds. up on a brushy white oak ridge. Deer went down faster than Yasser at his own funeral!