Author Topic: H&R 99 modified choke for turkeys???  (Read 367 times)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
H&R 99 modified choke for turkeys???
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:42:28 AM »
I recently got a H&R Model 99 12 gauge single shot shotgun with a modified choke barrel as part of a trade. It is a pretty nice gun. It has a brushed nickle looking finish and nice "hard wood" stock. The gun is in 98% over all condition.
Here is the question. I have a deer lease that is literally crawling with turkeys. I see the same 2 flocks every time I go in there. They work the creek bottoms and hardwood hill sides all day long for food, consume most of my corn piles and roost in the pines along the access road at night. I have not hunted turkey for 5 or 6 years now and as a result I have no suitable shotgun. My 12 year old son is fascinated with hunting them during this year's winter season.
Would this gun be suitable for turkey? What loads should I start to test for patterns? If it is I plan to cover it with a roll of cammo tape. I seem to remember modified chokes not being much good beyond 35 yards. This is no problem as we see these birds closer than that several times a day. (That will change when the first few bite the dust I know)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 07:29:15 AM »
Riddle...I would purchase some turkey loads and go out and pattern the gun...That would tell you whether it is a good turkey gun or not.  You never know until you try it.  You can print up some turkey head targets at Remington's website for free and go nuts on them.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 04:21:21 PM »
Another suggestion would be to try some hevi-shot in 5 or 6 it will definitley do the job and should pattern more like full choke. I shoot it out of a modified choke for geese and have taken them out past 40 yds.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun