Author Topic: Burris Z rings, beware!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline KF9VH

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris Z rings, beware!
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:24:15 AM »
Beware of Burris Z rings. I bought a set to put on a Savage Mark II and when I tried to install them I could not get it to tighten up on the base. I called Burris and told the tech guy my problem and he told me this has been a problem. He said to get a “bigger screw driver and really bear down on it”. He said, “if the bolt breaks to call him back”. What is wrong with this picture?

I am sending the rings back for a refund and going with a different manufacture. I expected more form Burris. What a bunch of crap.
 :x

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Burris Z rings, beware!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:10:25 PM »
I've used Burris rings pretty much exclusively for the past 20 years or so. If a gun at my house wears a Weaver base it wears Burris Zee Rings. I've broken a grand total of one of the screws that hold rings to base and it snapped before even beginning to tighten. Was a factory defect which was replaced free of charge ASAP. I've never had a ring I couldn't tighten down easily on Weaver bases.

Something just don't ring proper about this whole deal. I've used a ton of them and have recommended them to hundreds of folks who've used them and in all this time yours if the FIRST complaint of this nature I've ever heard of.

Me thinks you are over reacting to a non problem. Just let them replace the rings for you and the new ones will work fine. Every body makes a bad item from time to time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KF9VH

Burris Z rings, beware!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
Thanks but no thanks. Once bitten twice shy. I am done with the Z rings.

I went to a local gun shop and bought a set of Millet rings. They went on flawlessly. They should be fine on a 17 Mach II.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Burris Z rings, beware!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 01:27:22 PM »
Quote from: KF9VH
Beware of Burris Z rings. I bought a set to put on a Savage Mark II and when I tried to install them I could not get it to tighten up on the base. I called Burris and told the tech guy my problem and he told me this has been a problem. He said to get a “bigger screw driver and really bear down on it”. He said, “if the bolt breaks to call him back”. What is wrong with this picture?

I am sending the rings back for a refund and going with a different manufacture. I expected more form Burris. What a bunch of crap.
 :x
.......This is not normal from the limited contact I have had from Burris.....they make good products and the only problem I have had with the rings is the "foot" on the underside of the ring-below the angled edge of the scope base -has been too thick for clearance between the action and the base........BUT I don't know if it was/is a Weaver base problem OR the Burris ring being out of spec......but I have heard of other similar mismatchs between Weaver bases and Burris rings but no other problems with Burris but I'm mostly a Leupold product person except for Burris Signature rings......good luck and good shooting!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Burris Z rings, beware!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:10:41 PM »
I've got over a dozen scopes mounted with Signature Zee rings, none have been a problem, love em, won't use anything else if I have a choice. I have used socket head screws on some of them to make tightening them easier, but I don't feel it's necessary, just convenient. I have since  found that using a chapman screwdriver and the ratchet handle works extremely well with the Burris slotted screws.

Having the option of using the offset insert kits has made mounting 2 scopes on rifles that were not close to having the reticle centered at mounting has been a big plus. You can literally center the scope reticle then adjust the insert position so the rifle is bore sighted without ever touching the turret adjustments....Love em!!!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Burris Z rings, beware!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 08:00:32 PM »
what base were you using?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."