Author Topic: Why carry a gun?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline jeager106

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« on: November 11, 2004, 08:33:21 PM »
CCW. Why?
Why do you even want to carry a concealed handgun?
Whats the attraction, fear, defensiveness?
Do you live in a high voilent crime environment?
Do you think maybe you're going to stop a bank robbery or something?
Keep youself from being robbed perhaps?
Just curious. :wink:

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:41:30 PM »
For the safety of my wife and I.  Even if I weren't an officer I would want to carry.  I know from work that no matter how good your  local P.D. is they are still at least 2-3 minutes away.  In other areas maybe 30-40 minutes.  

I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to do it prematurely, especially if I could have stopped the threat.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 11:32:37 PM »
Because you can't make an appointment for an emergency.

Because there are a lot of wolves out there, and I refuse to feed them.

Because I can!

ANY OTHER SILLY QUESTIONS?   :)

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dusty Miller

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »
Because the basic right to self-defense is meaningless without one, especially in a world in which there are roving gangs of thugs who just shoot at will (I live in Modesto, CA and Mexican criminal gangs are thriving here).
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline EastKY_DO

why carry?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 01:41:56 AM »
I carry for the same reason I wear seat belts.  I don't plan on needing them but I realize that I may need them despite my best efforts to avoid it.
Doc

NRA Benefactor

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Why Carry?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 02:37:24 AM »
WHY NOT?

1.  Why do we carry a jack in our car?  

2.  Why do we carry cell phones?

3.  Why do we carry pagers?

4.  Why, well lets see, why not?

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 02:53:15 AM »
Im curious why any one on this forum would ask a question like that. Are you just interested in others thoughts about this or is your purpose a little different? Do you really not know? It is enough to say, I carry because my forefathers fought and died for my privilege and right to keep and bear arms and to defend myself against those who would do me or my loved ones harm. I dont have my personal L E O walking around with me all the time to protect us, and any way you slice it, primary responsibility for my safety and my family rest upon my shoulders. Thats my job. All others are secondary. I AM the first line of defense, and I learned as a youth in the Boy Scouts to always be prepared. I personally wonder why any one would NOT  carry.
 As I said, Im curious why you asked this question in the way that you did. Does it offend or threaten you that many of us go armed? It sounds to me that perhaps it does.
 If I have read you wrong, Im sorry, but Im not sure that I have.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:18 AM »
2$pistol:
Oh yes there is a very good reason for asking.
Perhaps we could let it go as simple curiosity for the time hey?
And by the way I'm an active, donating ($$$$), NRA member, stuanch Conservative, disabled LEO, and believe without the 2nd Amendment we would never have a 1st Amendment.
I truely believe anyone willing to get a permit for CCW SHOULD carry if they desire.
I don't anymore.
Personal reasons.
I'm very curious what motivates ordinary citizens to get CCW permits.
Please understand that I support the right to carry.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:09:12 AM »
Then perhaps I have misread your motives. If so, I apologize, but after having our rights attacked so much from the left lately, I tend to be a little defensive. But my reasoning behind my LEGALLY carrying is still as stated.
 Have a good one
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 07:28:15 AM »
I carry because you must expect the unexpected.  I am not out there to be a hero and stop a bank robbery...I'll leave that to the professionals.  I am just looking out for my families safety.  I do not want to be a victim nor should anyone fear of being a victim.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 10:04:47 AM »
Interesting.
All good reasons  of course.
The best reason is because you WANT TO. It's your right.
I did 22 years in the mean streets before I was finally disabled.
One of the most common questions I was asked by John Q. Public, remember this was before legal CCW, was "can I carry a gun when I......" and reason were then stated. All good reasons too.
My answer as a police officer was "HELL YES!, but keep your mouth shut and don't flash the thing around."
Now John Q. were fellas I knew that were decent, honest, but afraid people.
I policed a very violent small city and shootings were all too common.
I reasoned that if John Q. was asking me about carrying this guy wasn't any threat to me at all.
I policed a city in Ohio. Many people don't know that there has always been what is referred to as an " affirmative defense" for carrying a concealed weapon in the State of Ohio.
It was always illegal to carry concealed, but there was a defense for doing so if " an ordinarily prudent person would go armed" in a certain situation.
The people I arrested for CCW were nasties up to no good.
I have a few good tips about carrying concealed if anyone would care to know what they are, just ask.
I retired as Lt. of S.W.A.T and wrote deadly force policy as well as trained the officers.
I am a certified instructor in tactical pistol craft, subgun, shotgun, sniper rifle, assault rifle, grenade launcher (gas of course) as well as less than lethal force.
Perhaps my best training was in court room survival.
Think about that one!

Offline IntrepidWizard

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 12:29:11 PM »
Why not?I carry a knive,drive a vehicle ,have 4 Chain Saw,mulitible saws,electric and pneumatic and drills.A gun --to me is a tool with a specific funtion.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 07:17:36 AM »
It is not the governments job to protect us!  If you don't believe that, ask any police department in the country.  I have never needed (except for a wild dog once) my concealed weapon in over 25 years of carrying.  But I feel it would be negligent for me not to.  To have something happen to my family that I 'could' have prevented, but did not bring my gun that day, would be criminal and I could never live with it.  Just like the lady who watched her parents get killed in Libby's.  This lady had a CCW, but just kept her gun in her car for 'high crime parking lots'.  She may have been able to stop the whole thing, but her gun was in her car glove box.  God forbid I would ever find myself without a weapon when I need one.  44 Man
PS.  I'll take all the tips that you may want to share!
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline jhm

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 01:04:32 PM »
Well mainly because I am not one of the Hollywood elites with more money than sence or a highly paid by tax dollars politician who both have body guards, and feel they are the only ones who should have protection, guess thats the main reason other than I CAN AND DO. :D    JIM

Offline williamlayton

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 12:50:57 AM »
This is a good question to think about.
Lets see here, what are the possibilities. Are my answers to be defensive, as in defending my reasons, or are they cultural, or are they/can I be honest and have a real reason to carry?
Defensive- Because it is my right ?
Cultural- Cause growin up everbody did it, so I do also ?
              Because I am a man and I want too prove it ?
I supose, to be completely honest, I am driven by a lot of the answers given above and, also, the defensive and cultural answers I have posed.
Am I really afraid/concerned of the safety Issues? Well, honestly, no I am not afraid of my society or surroundings. I am aware of the possibilities, so I guess the reason I really do what I do is because of the odds.
I supose the odds are vastly in my favor that I will never need it. It is also true that if the circumstances ever do present themselves I would need it, as in to old to fight or run.
I think, logically, there is absolutely no legitimate reason not to have one for the reasons the framers of the constitution thought of. It is a needed rule and if it is needed then I need it.
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 02:43:01 AM »
Ummmmmmmmm, 'cause it's easier than dragging it around??  Mikey.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 03:11:10 AM »
jeager106.......My reason is "Better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it."        nuff said.....Rick :eek:
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »
Quote from: jeager106

...Big snip...

I have a few good tips about carrying concealed if anyone would care to know what they are, just ask.

I'd certainly like to hear them, if you'd like to share. I carry for all the reasons already mentioned. And also because I work for the Dept. of Corrections, and am very much aware of the mind-set of most of the nasties we hopefully will never run into outside a prison yard...
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 09:48:48 AM »
As good of a reason as any is because the law permits you to carry. I also feel like owning a CC Permit is a voice stating that you support gun ownership and an individual’s right to defend himself. Like anything else in life, things that are seldom used will soon fade away. Use your right to carry and encourage others too as well and we will have a much better chance of maintaining our privilege to carry and own firearms. There is strength in numbers. The more people with permits the better off we are.

As far as actually carrying a gun on your person is nothing more than an insurance policy. It’s better to have it and not need it then to need it and it not be there.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Lawdog

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 09:52:27 AM »
Quote from: ihuntbucks
jeager106.......My reason is "Better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it."        nuff said.....Rick :eek:

I'll second that.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 01:56:48 PM »
jeager, I was a typical hot-dog rookie cop (a long time ago!) and my Field Training Officer was very patient with me.  One night we stopped a guy who, under mild questioning, admitted he had a loaded gun under his seat.  I was all ready to lock him up and get an arrest, but my FTO stepped in, and told me to chill out.  I was furious, he was interfering, not helping.  When I asked him why, he said, "Son, didja see that fancy holster he had it in?"  I said yes, and his response was, "In thirty years on the street, I've arrested a lot of bad people for carrying guns illegally.  Not one of them ever had a nice holster like that one, or any other holster.   This guy is no more a threat than your Momma.  Run a record check, and if he's clean, he's outta here."  We ran him, he was clean as a nun's bedsheet, aside from a few tickets.  As we cut him loose (with a ticket), he thanked us profusely, tucked the gun back under the seat, and headed home.  The FTO calmly explained that if you trust in the character of the people you deal with, the fact that they're armed is of no consequence.   Angry, intoxicated or disrespectful people bear watching, but Joe Citizen who gets stopped for a traffic violation is someone you want on your side.  There were several occasions when I was a cop where I had a ride-along, often an interested citizen, City Councilman or a preacher, and I always offered them my backup gun to carry.  Some politely declined, some weren't worried about needing one, and others already had one on.  And you might be surprised which ones brought their own!   :wink:

I wish everyone had the ability to read people like that old-timer.  He's retired now, lives in the boonies of downstate Missouri, and shoots daily.  I miss him, and others like him!

Papajohn

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 07:36:50 AM »
PapaJohn,
you've got me interested - who was it that brought their own?

I doubt the City Councilman did.  So I lean toward that concerned citizen, but would not be surprised if the preacher did.
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 11:25:37 AM »
There were a few "Armed Citizens" that rode along, but when the local preachers were riding with us, they were often called to hostile situations to act as counselors or intermediaries.  They knew it was dangerous at times, and most came prepared!  

Papajohn

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2004, 01:30:17 PM »
I carry because.....

1. I have been hunted. And expect the same person to hunt me again when his freedom is restored.

2. It is a wise thing to do.... given today's dangerous social climate.

3. I have the right to defend myself using what ever tool(s) I choose.

I left out the 2nd Amendment and the legality issues simply because the 3 things I mentioned are a reflection of a basic human right... the right to defense of self to continue survival.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline williamlayton

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »
I have enjoyed this discussion--it has led me to some thinking, bout myownself, an well, the whole concept and reasoning.
A well armed society is not the military, the police, or any law enforcement group.
To be certain these groups are needed and I do not wish to take away this line of defense. I guess the thought "line of defense" keeps popping up in my mind and, from reading these other post, it is a primary thought of you boys.
I believe all persons are their own first line of defense, while waiting on the calvary to arrive, no different now as it was in days of old. I enjoy weapons of all configurations because, well I just enjoy looking at  'em, foolin with "em, shooting with 'em, BUT I could live without this form of entertainment.
I am thinking this subject goes beyond entertainment though. It strikes hard at the primary purpose of the NEEDS of all societies, which is a primary line of personal self-defense when/if needed.
NOW I will argue, and defend, that this society we live in is as much in need, perhaps more, of these/this right as any in history. Not as much space these days, an, well, the bad guys seem to have multiplied faster than tha rest of us boys.  :D  maybe we oughta spend more time multiplying than shootin :oops: . Anywho, this right is a NEED, more than merely a right for entertainment. I believe those that would argue to the contrary are lost in a fog/have their heads buried in the sand.
OH WELL
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 01:36:52 AM »
I carry a gun because I can do so with a legal license to carry.  I carry a gun because I am a citizen.  I carry a gun because I pay taxes, support my wife and children, vote, belong to my local community, love my country, and respect all of it's law abiding citizens.
Jimmyp50Georgia

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 06:19:23 AM »
Not so long ago, Phil Shoemaker wrote an article on "What gun should I carry in bear country?"  Since Phil is one of the few people in the world with the experience to write about this authoritatively, I read it.

He made an interesting point -- your BEST defense, if you encounter a bear, is your own behavior.  You can trigger or prevent an attack, depending on how the bear perceives you -- your body language is important.

Phil point out that the gun gives you the calm, self-possessed attitude you need in such a situation -- I thought about that and realized he's right.

I carry a gun so I WON'T need one.  I carry a gun so any predator who looks me over will understand that I am not prey.

Offline inluvwithsara

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Why I carry...
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 09:37:26 AM »
I have had a CCW for many moons, but rarely carried...then oneday I saw something that made me carry from now on...
My girlfriend (now wife) and I were headed out to sperryvile VA, and always stopped at the Burger King in Warrington when ever we head out that way to get her some mini cinimon buns...
well, I had made us late compared to our schedual for the day(wow, one Kid and the scheadule thing is long gone)
anyway...we were aproaching the BK and to our surprise...it was surronded by rifle and shotgun armed cops...there were hostiges inside, and all I could think is what if we had been on time...would we been in there...unarmed, able to nothing to defend my girlfriend...
when we were married, I took an oath to her father(someone I would never want to fail), that I would protect and serve her with my life...I don't take that lightly...I pray evertime I strap my gun(s) on, "Lord, please Protect us, and please don't let me ever need to use this...but if I do, let me be fast and acurate..."
I don't ever want to hurt anyone...I want all to come to know the Lord...but if anyone threatens my wife or Child, I will do what is nessisary to remove the threat...I will not let some evil individual end my life, or the life of a friend, family, or those in need...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 10:53:38 AM »
I used to stop for gas at a station at the intersection of Highway 17 and VA 105 in York County.  One day, it was robbed and the clerk shot execution style.

Another time I had a low tire late one cold night, and got a can of tire sealant at the Red Barn station a few miles down on Highway 17.  There were a couple of dirtbags in the station, and apparently they decided I had a lot of money (I had about $12 in ones) and they tried to mug me as I was down on my hands and knees attaching the sealant can to the valve stem.

One of them, fully prepared to kick my ribs in, said, "How about you give me all that money, man?"

I pulled my .45 and said, "How about I stick  this up your *** and pull the trigger?"  That was the end of the incident -- he and his comrade were peeling rubber out onto the highway before I could get to my feet.

It can happen anywhere, any time.  If you could predict the future, you'd only carry when you knew you were going to need a gun.  You'd also only buckle your seat belt when you knew you were going to have an accident, and only buy homeowner's insurance when you knew you were going to have a fire.

Offline DWARREN123

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 03:20:17 AM »
It's my RIGHT!