Author Topic: Why carry a gun?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Van/TX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 09:55:16 AM »
Vern makes some good points.  Best one's I've seen in print yet :wink: ....Van
USAF Ret (1966 - 1988)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »
Why do I carry a gun?

I am Riddle of Steel.

My legal name is Malloy, of the clan O'Molloy, county Offaly, Ireland. My ancestors, descended from Neil of the Nine Hostages, lived by the sword and the dirk. Our stretch of Ireland for over forty generations was called Fircall and we were its rulers. An eleventh century text reads; The princes of Fircall, of the ancient sword, are O'Molloy. The steel was our ally and companion in a wild and dangerous land. Steel in hardened Irish hands protected us while we tilled the soil and raised our cattle. When we warred with other clans we killed and sometimes died, again by the steel. When the English came we fought with the steel until they overwhelmed us. Afterwards we had to hide our swords and concealed the carry of our dirks and knives. Carrying and training with weapons, the pipes, native songs and even Gaelic itself was outlawed. When guns and powder came to our land, in secret, we mastered and added them to our belts. We fought for 300 years against an occupation army on our island. They called us traitors in our own land for not swearing allegiance to an English king or worshiping in an English church. Officially, we were an unarmed population standing in defiance of the most powerful-armed empire on earth. In truth, with guns and powder, bombs and knives we fought and struggled until we freed most of Ireland.

We were also locked in combat with another enemy we could not defeat. Instead it killed us by the thousands, the tens of thousands, the millions. Famine killed and scattered my clansmen to the distant corners of the earth. It was brought on by generations of absentee English landlords raping the land, English taxes, and exportation of shiploads of food to England while the Irish people starved. On the tiny plots of our land the English lords rented us we grew potatos. It was the only crop that could support a family on such a small area. When the potato crop failed, we starved. No steel could save us, not sword, nor gun, nor plow.

During the time of British occupation some of my clan came to America. We brought with us the steel. My great-great-great-great grandfather settled in the mountains of central Virginia. Law there was mostly what you made of it. Those who were strong and knew the steel and lived and prospered; those who were weak or unarmed died. Our family grew strong farming, hunting, trapping and fishing. We used the steel during the Revolution to free this land from the hated British. With powder, ball and blade my forebear secured the freedom for me I would not have had in Ireland. Again in 1812 we beat back those who would usurp that liberty.

My great-great-great grandfather came to the piedmont of North Carolina in a flat bottom boat on the Dan river. He and his family took a grand adventure and gave up everything to live by their wits in a new land. They used the steel to defend against bandits and Indians. At that time the foothills of our state was a wilderness. From this wilderness he carved an 800 acre farm with sweat, sinew, courage and steel. He carried a brace of pistols and a knife as part of every day life.

My great-great grandfather went to war to defend the freedom he had come to cherish in our hilly wooded land. Yes, he owned a slave or two, but what he fought for was the freedom to live free and conduct his own affairs as he saw fit. In this war we learned that not all thieves of freedom come from other countries. Any federal government, British or American, that intrudes on the lives of its citizens uninvited cries out for resistance. The thought was, we had traded one tyranny for another. Hundreds of thousands of Americans died for what they believed was this just cause. He had lived his life free with the steel as a tool of war and of peace. He was one of the best shots in the county. His exploits with a knife also survive in family documents. When he returned from the Civil War he carried his brace of ivory handled six-guns and a large knife until the day he died. Best accounts state he was never afraid to use them. At his death they hung on a belt on his bedpost.

My great-grandfather moved to town to take advantage of the new industrial boom. To the city of the new age of steel he had brought the steel of our ancestors with him. We still have the revolver he used to defend himself and his family in this new urban wilderness. His son, my grandfather, was the first generation of my family that never went armed. An overprotective strict mother raised him. His education was the public school and the textbook, not the woodlands and the steel. Maybe he was a product of the times. Laws had been passed that forbade the carry of weapons in cities. For the first time in history Americans were learning to look to the government for their needs. When he was in his thirties he was murdered in an alley by two thugs over $20.00.

My father is also a stranger to the steel. He was raised in that same city by his mother with no father. To him the steel was something to be taken up in war and then turned into a plow during the peace. To my knowledge, the first weapon he ever owned was obtained as collateral for a loan to an employee. Uninterested, he later gave it to my sister. However, luck of the Irish has been with him and he still lives.

As for me, far removed from the green Irish hills, I have again taken up the steel. The gun and blade are constants of my life. Through them I reach back across the generations to a distant skin clad chieftain on a shaggy Irish pony griping the hilt of his sword, to a Revolutionary soldier loading his musket as the redcoats cross the field toward him, to the settler on the eastern frontier feeding and protecting his family, to the Civil War soldier sitting in the mud at Sharpsburg with the pungent smell of burned powder in his nose, to my grandfather laying in a stinking alley his blood on the bricks.

You ask me why I carry the steel?

I ask you why were laws passed and kept on the books for almost one hundred years that choked my right to carry it? This right my clan has cherished for over a thousand years. A right secured for me by the blood of patriots. Why does the same intrusive federal government we bled to rid ourselves of now seek to disarm me? Why is there American soil I can not tread upon armed? Why do honest Americans fear the steel?
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline tjm58

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:23 AM »
My wife and I travel via Honda Goldwing from time to time and the goldwing has no windows to roll up, no doors to lock, so I carry!  I pray every time I strap it on that I don't need this gun. I don't want to be a hero, I just want my wife and I to live to a ripe old age, and enjoy the time we have here, but if someone threatens her safety, I pray I shoot fast and accurate. So let's hope the bad guys leave us alone, let this old dog and his lady enjoy the scenery, cause this dog has a BIG bite!

Offline crashresidue

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »
Cheers jeager,

I, too would be interested in hearing your tips - learn me, please!

I live in a state that has CCW on the books, but doesn't issue them.  When I moved here, I had a valid CCW - so, I went down to the local station and asked to see the Chief to get another one issued.  Well, to my great surprise, I got treated like dirt by the information officer.  Blown off -completely!

Well, I've got the subtlety of a mid-air collision, so I informed that particular officer that if this state wouldn't issue me one, I'd contract with a company working with the DEA and get a federal one issued to both myself and my spouse.

I never raised my voice, always started or ended each sentence with "Sir", but implied that this situation wasn't tolerable and I entended to do something about it.

Next day, I got a call from the Chief and was told point blank that this state wouldn't recognise a Federal CCW license - period!  He continued to state that he didn't want his officers to have to worry about armed civilians.  Here I go again - I asked "Why, do you think it might make them more polite"?  Then I asked if the DEA knew that their license wasn't recognized, and would he like me to inform them of that fact?  It got REAL quiet and real COLD.

Well, that's where it stands today - I'm WAY too old to be getting shot at, so I didn't go south of the border, so I'm not legal to carry - but - surprise!

It's a lot easier to get out of jail than it is a grave yard!

Why do I carry?  Well in a lot of the countries of the world - the word for "stranger" and "enemy" are the same.  Not a bad idea - once you think about for a while.

Gentle winds,
cr
When all else fails, call for the gunships!

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
To be blunt, I really don't think you are curious at all.  I don't feed trolls.

Offline williamlayton

Why carry a gun?
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2004, 01:04:09 AM »
Seems to me it is OK to be curious concerning folks reasons for a lot of things. It does not offend me if some one ask my opinion. I have enjoyed the whole string and find that I am curious why some have taken offense.
Maybe I just do not get it but, being a naturally cynical person, I doubt it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
To all,

Very interesting and enlighting topic for me.  I have been "on the fence" about getting my permit.  I am now signing up for the class next month.
And I am getting it for all the right reasons...

Thnaks,

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Why carry a gun?
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2004, 08:42:54 AM »
There's no reason NOT to get a permit.  You never know when someone will spot your pistol when you're fishing, coming home from the range, or whatever, and accuse you of carrying a concealed weapon.