Author Topic: Pemium bullets  (Read 1632 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Pemium bullets
« on: November 11, 2004, 11:13:21 PM »
I'm trying to decide which bullet to go with for my 30/06. The budget won't allow me to try them all, so if anyone has used any of these, I would appreciate any comments on accuracy and performance on game. I'll be buying bullets to reload. Here are the ones I've been looking at:

Speer Grand Slam
Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (the most expensive)
Nosler Partition
Sierra Gameking
Nosler Interbond
Barnes X
Combined Technologies Fail safe

Whatever I pick will be 165 grains. The rifle seems to prefer that.
Thanks.

Offline jackfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pemium bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:53:51 AM »
Nosler makes the Accubond.  Hornady makes the Interbond.  From my own use and reading test and anecdotal information, I would recommend trying the Hornady Interbond.  JJHACK at 24hrcampfire has used the 165 grain Hornady Interbond in the 30-06 on over 30 head of game, including African Plains game, elk and very large hogs, and equates the performance of this bullet with the Swift A-Frame.  They are less expensive than the rest and perform with the best.

Post One

Post Two

Post Three
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Pemium bullets
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:22:30 AM »
I have tried several of the bullets you listed. I had my best accuracy with the Barnes X bullets. I took a nice Caribou out to 300 yards and the bullet preformed flawlessly.  :D I just love the solid copper bullets.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Pemium bullets
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:08 AM »
JJ isn't just at the 24 fire place. He is an advertiser here at GBO and Moderator of the Hunting in Africa Forum here at GBO.

For deer hunting with the .30-06 why waste your money on premium bullets? The standard fare from all the major bullet makers works just fine in the .30-06. It's when you go to the super duper magnum poopers you need the premium bullets. Unless you just enjoy wasting money just use standard bullets in it. They'll do just fine on deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
Pemium bullets
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:30:57 AM »
Sierra Prohunters: cheap , plentiful, and shoot just as well as the others on your list that I have tried. If I did have to pick from the others I would say partitions for deer. Some of the others are just too well built for deer if you know what I mean. :D

Offline Dave in WV

Pemium bullets
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:06:45 AM »
Try Remington 165gr CoreLokts. They're cheap, accurate, and work
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Pemium bullets
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:04:27 AM »
what range are you looking at shooting??

I dont reload YET......and the place where I hunt just opened up the land ALOT for the DEEP SOUTH IN LA(louisiana)........we now have a 443 yard long field, that is 200 yards wide.....pretty big if you ask me....., they have also widened it up a bit........so I decided that for FACTORY loads I would get the Hornady Interbond......alot of the reason I got it, is because of its long range stability......ok this is how I was setup before....I used Federal Vital Shock Ammo, with 150 grain BTSP (IDK which manufactouer, prob sierra).....I dropped four does, and one ran a 75 yards (which is a problem b/c the woods are VERY THICK!! :lol:......)

The problem with those was with the long range stability.......I will simply compare what the box says (which is sometimes over emphasized and not 100% true).....at 300 yards the BTSP i used last year drop 13.3 inches....then I compared that to the Hornady Light Magnum 165 grain (which is 15 grains larger), and it only says it drops 6.6 inches at 300 yards.....then numbers differ more as the shots get longer, but 300 is the farthest i am willing to shoot......

so i am not saying thatthe Interbond is the right bullet for you, or that the "6.6 inches, or 13.3 inches"will be exactly right out of your gun, but it does give a little comparison...JMO

So simply look at what type of hunting you will be doing, what size deer, the condition, where you like to shoot the animal, etc....

The pointed soft points will more than likely expand slightly faster, but they will not have nearly the same long range stability......however

the bullets such as the Nosler Accuabond, Swift Scirroco, and Hornady Interbond will all stabalize much better because the tip gives the bullet much more aerodymanics....

But for reloading I would stay away form the swift scirocco's simply because they cost soooooooo much......but if you can get a good price on them, they should do well.....From the polymor tipped, bonded core PREMIUM bullets I would either choose from the Nosler Accubond, or Hornady Interbond.....I belive the Interbond is slightly tougher, which is what I want since all of my shots go straight into the deer's shoulder.....but either way.....its your decision

If not a polymor tipped bonded core bullet, then I would look into the Nosler Partitions.....not many people have had problems with them and they seem to work well for almost everyone who uses them

Hope this helps.....

Sry its so long!!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Lawdog

Pemium bullets
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 08:09:04 AM »
daddywpb,

Try the new Barnes TSX bullets in your .30-06 and you won't be sorry.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
Pemium bullets
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 08:30:22 AM »
165gr. boolit out of a 30-06 for deer from 0-300 yards and 100-300lbs.

Remington core-lokt(I have used this one on three or four deer)
Hornady interlock(I haven't yet but nobody bashes it)
Speer hot core(ditto)

Cheap(Rem's can be had buy the ton), accurate, and at 2700-2800fps I can't see paying out the nose for a premium.

Offline daddywpb

Pemium bullets
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 10:11:34 AM »
Lawdog,

I looked on the Barnes website at the TSX. Looks very interesting. I have never used the X bullets, probably because my local store doesn't carry them. I could probably use less expensive Sierra 168 gr BTHP's for range shooting. The profile of these two bullets looks very similar. That picture of the expanded TSX on the website is impressive! Have you used the TSX on game? Thanks.

Offline JPSaxMan

Pemium bullets
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 01:27:37 PM »
Haven't really used the "premium" bullets...would like to try them this year. I was looking at the Remington Premier Core-Lokt for this season. Just weren't at hand in my local sporting goods store. So...have to settle w/ the Express's. But then again...an Express killed my deer last year @ 30 yds cleanly and effectively (to go the route of GB). But of the ones you mentioned...I did want to try to get a load for my .243 in the AccuBond made by Nosler (loaded in the factory by Winchester and Federal....the Swift Scirocco is almost the same exact thing and is factory loaded by Remington...wanted to try those too...but... :roll: ). Problem was AccuBond either doesn't offer factory load for the .243 or doesn't have it at all. If you don't want to try economical loads, I'd go with the latter. Good luck!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Lawdog

Pemium bullets
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 10:45:34 AM »
daddywpb,

Have you used the TSX on game?

The old Barnes X and XLC bullets had a bad reputation for being hard to get to group.  You had to play around with seating depth and powder charges to get them to shoot well.  The new TSX doesn't have this problem.  This year our family(all 8 of us) all used the TSX bullets to take 13 bucks, 5 Wild Boar and 1 Black Bear(so far) using a total of 20 shots(my son shot his Black Bear a second time although it wasn't needed).  No bullets were recovered.  The farthest we had to follow any of the animals taken was one Wild Boar that went about 20 yards.  I used to use nothing but Nosler Partitions but these TSX give better accuracy and after this years hunting they have proved their worth to us.  There are some that will tell you premium bullets are not needed for deer and while that is true to a certain extent where we hunt you can run into a large Wild Boar(250-300 lbs. or more) or a Black Bear.  Both of these animals can/are classified as “dangerous” where the use of a premium bullet does give you a better chance of penetrating without breaking apart on the heavier bones of these two critters.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Pemium bullets
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »
I currently use the Barnes X and XLC bullets. It was not a problem to find a load that worked accurately. I shoot the 165 gr.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
Pemium bullets
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 04:20:57 PM »
12 years of 30-06 deer hunting put over 30 animals down and into my freezer. All were killed with the Hornady 150 grain SPBT Interlock #3033. This is a pretty run of the mill bullet, low priced and available all over. However, at 2900 FPS it kills deer like hot lighting.

Try it!!
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Pemium bullets
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 05:38:44 PM »
Lawdog,

I tried the 140gr Barnes X & XBT in my 7mm Rem mag with very poor results.  With your good experience I might give the Barnes TSX a try.  

What grain are you using in the 7mm Remmag for deer?

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Pemium bullets
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 07:50:23 PM »
My experience that on game as large as moose, the Hornady Interlock will leave them dead.  ALL of my experiments with the "premium" bullets have been disappointing either in the accuracy or performance.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline daddywpb

Pemium bullets
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 11:31:52 PM »
Lawdog,
Thanks for the info. I've order some TSX bullets from midway. I have seen Nosler Ballistic Tips and Remington Core Lok's literally explode on impact on the shoulder bone of relatively small Florida whitetails with zero penetration. All of the opinions are interesting though, everyone has a favorite and a good reason why it's a favorite.
Steve

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Pemium bullets
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 01:01:39 AM »
daddywpb, I hope you have good success with the TSX bullets. Also let us know how they work for you.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

Pemium bullets
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 07:26:14 AM »
I have used the Hornady Interbonds for the past couple of years now in my 7mm Mag and and quite happy with their performance (162gr.)

I have developed a couple of new loads using the 165 & 180 gr. Interbonds for my .300 SAUM that I will be using this year in place of the 7mm Mag.

If your looking for an inexpensive pill the old standby Hornady BTSP's have been widely used and have proved themselves to many hunters over the years, same with the Remington Corelokts.
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn

Offline Lawdog

Pemium bullets
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 08:26:26 AM »
acearch72,

We loaded 140 gr. TSX in all of our 7mm's(7mm Rem., 7mm Weatherby and the granddaughter's 7mm-08) this year.  The new 120 gr. TSX should be one flat shooting bullet for deer and antelope.  Going to try them out as soon as the ones I ordered get here.  Lawdog

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Pemium bullets
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 02:18:25 PM »
I have had very good results with the Remington Corelokt in 150, 165 and 180 grains on deer, in fact I don't see how it could have been done better. I feel the same about the 150 and 165 Speer Hotcor spitzer and tha Hornady 165 grain flat base spire point. Beyond that I have never had a bullet from my 30-06 give me any problem killing deer. If I had to pick a bullet from your list I put the Nosler Partition ahead of the Sierra Gameking for all around use but have shot deer with both, no problems.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline JPSaxMan

Pemium bullets
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »
Yes yes...I too have also heard great things and actually wanted to test the Nosler Partition (thanks to 7magwoodsman  :D ). Forgot to mention those in my previous post. Take care all!
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Pemium bullets
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 03:10:24 PM »
check out these threads......they are from a little while ago (about 3 months...) they really helped me out alot. Probably over 150 posts combined, b/t the two, and these guys really know their stuff......

here the 2:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35836

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=37163

hope they help.....those both mainly deal with premium bullets, but should still be very helpful.....they changed my thoughts, and I now I use 165 grain instead of 150 grain......not a big difference, just for the loads I was lookign into the 165's gained more in FPE, than they lost in FPS.....and they only dropped .2 (tenths) of an inch lower at 300 yards (based on the hornady facts.......actually im going to sight in tom with them.....right when I get home, Ill post and tell ya how I did......I also just got the Remington R3 recoil pad, so hopefully that will make it like shooting a 7-08.......(mainly just got it, b/c the loads I bought are pretty HOTT!!, THE LIGHT MAGNUM STUFF FOR A 30-06!! HOPE THEY SHOOT WELL!!)
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Siskiyou

Pemium bullets
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 09:09:35 AM »
Daddywpb:  My "old" high school hunting partner is a rather successful at killing bucks.  His favorite bullet(s) are the 165 grain Speer Hot Cor or the 165 grain Hornady.  His powder of choice is IMR4895, the old 30-06 standard.   I really came to respect the standard 165 grain bullet when I watch him shot a buck down slope from him.  At first I though he had missed.  The bullet hit the top of a pine stump, and blew dirt and chips all over the place.  We found the deer a short distance away.  The bullet penetrated the deer about half of it's length.  The front third of the bullet was gone, the back two thirds was a single slug.  This was after penetrating the top of the stump.

I got a close up of a hit on another buck because I had my glasses on him.  The range was short.  At the shot I watch a spray fly from the off side of the deer.  The lungs were destroyed and the exit hole was almost two inches.  No bullet was recovered.

When I had a 30-06 (It is now my son-in-laws) My favorite loads were 58+ grains of H4831 pushing a 165 grain Hornaday or a 165 Nosler Partition.  I quit loading the partition bullet because I did not need it.  Typically the 165 grain bullet fully penetrated a deer.  I also like using H414, the loads are accurate.  I had enough confidence with these loads to fire them at a LE range sessions.  

As a kid I admired a local West Coast .30 Caliber champion.  He collected trophys at the range and deer hunting.  His favorite deer load was the Hornaday 165 grain bullet pushed by IMR4064.  I can remember going over to their barn and watch them skin out their big bucks.  Exit holes were normal.  He was the influence behind me picking the Hornaday 165 grain bullet.  Nothing like seeing a lot of deer on the meat hook to influence me.

Now days I load Remington 165/Hornaday 165/Nosler 165 for a bolt action .300 Savage.  While I do not want another bear it seems that we do encounter them every season.  Just in case.  

( I should note that this was in a period when N. Ca was a true deer factory.  In 1956 lightning started a series of large fires in N.CA burning hundreds of thousand of acres.  In addition logging was in full production.  This activity generated tons of tender deer food for approximately 15 years.  As the burns matured the deer production fell off.)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.