Author Topic: Defective BFR ?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Golsovia

• Trade Count: (0)
Defective BFR ?
« on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:41 AM »
I recently acquired a new Magnum Research BFR. I have only had a chance to fire a few cylinders of ammo and, so far, it appears to be a revolver I am going to like. The question I have is this, in handling it this morning I discovered that I can cock the hammer before the cylinder is locked if I cock it slowly and "gently." As long as the hammer is pulled back with a more usual motion it rotates the respective chamber fully into line with the bore. Pulling the hammer back completely to the point where it comes to a stop also brings the cylinder to complete rotation and lockup. The problem is one which is very unlikely to cause a problem in actual use as far as I can tell. Still, I am a bit concerned about what might happen if the gun was discharged when the cylinder is not locked. I think the alignment may be off by as much as 0.040" or so.

As a sidenote, I did refer to one of my Ruger single actions which is about a dozen years old to see if the less expensive gun showed any similar issues. That one, a six-shooter, could not be made to do it under any circumstances and it has been hammered by thousands of rounds of both heavy and standard loads. I can't imagine that the newer BFR will improve over time. Thoughts?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Defective BFR ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 07:02:38 AM »
I have a BFR and it does not do what you wrote about. I tried and it would lock up as soon has the hammer reached all the way back and locked. The cylinder was also locked up. I would suggest sending it back to Magnum Research. They are very good about taking care of you.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline reallybigfoot

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 03:05:54 PM »
Mine does the same thing.  I read about it in an internet article.  It has never caused me a problem.

Jerry

Offline Castaway

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:04:47 AM »
Reallybigfoot, hope you were responding to Redhawk1 when you mentioned yours did the same thing.  I certainly would not want to shoot any pistol, especially a big bore where the cylinder did not index fully when cocked.  I'd send it back to the manufacturer before I fired it again.  If you're lucky, one mistake in not cocking it fully would just ruin your pistol.

Offline Golsovia

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 06:28:14 AM »
Yesterday I fired a primed only case in my revolver. It is pictured here with another case which was fired in the locked position. It shows how far off the cylinder is when the hammer becomes cocked.

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 08:54:57 AM »
Golsovia

I would send it back, Not doing so could mess up your gun and could cause you some pain also. Good luck..........Joe.............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Defective BFR ?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 05:01:12 PM »
Sounds like the hand that rotates the cyl is too short, damaged or possably a lug is damaged on the cyl, they should fix you right up.

Offline Golsovia

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 06:18:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Duffy,

Those seem like good suggestions as to the cause of the issue. It happens in virtually the same position on every cylinder so I suspect the lugs are fine. The hand might likely be the cause though in my assessment.

In looking over the literature and instruction manual last night - as if one should need instructions to safely use an improperly made or fitted revolver - I noticed that their instructions do say to draw the hammer fully to the rear or down and then allow it to come back up to rest on the full cock notch. I don't know if this might be used to take them off the hook for what I really believe and hope is a flaw on this gun. It is very unlikely that I would use this gun in a manner such that the cylinder is not locked but it is possible. It certainly is not difficult to cock it without locking the cylinder. I envison dropping another $100 just to get this made right - which isn't right in my opinion!

There are definitely three distinct clicks during the hammer cocking process. The first comes when the cylinder "lock" snaps back against the cylinder after it was initially released and held to allow the cylinder to rotate. The second click is the hammer sear notch passing the trigger sear notch, and the final and distinctly separate click occurs when the cylinder "lock" drops into the cylinder detent when the hammer is pressed fully down. I didn't think it was possible that this was a trait characteristic of this particular weapon - it was a detail easily missed in handling a gun at the gun counter but, I suppose, maybe it's something that should easily be picked up by a good pistolsmith. In any case I missed it and had to go check my Rugers to see it I could detect anything like this. Every one of my Rugers, both single and double actions, work precisely as they should. That is a tribute to these higher production, mass produced guns which cost less to boot.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Defective BFR ?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 11:03:44 AM »
The reason I mentioned it was that I had a SRH that wouldn't lock on half of the cyl. If you carefully pulled in DA mode the hammer would drop before the cyl would lock. It was verrrry close but was worse on 3 chambers than others. A trip back to the factory and they replaced the cyl, cocking piece and cyl lug/extractor. It works as it should but as you mentioned it cost me the 45 bucks for Red Lable shipping to Ruger. The least they could do if it's their fault would be to pay shipping.

Offline reallybigfoot

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »
I still do not see a problem with having to cock the BFR fully before pulling the trigger.  I am very satisfied with my BFR and I do not intend to send it anywhere to be modified.  When I decided to buy a BFR in 45/70, I researched the gun.  I read every article I could find.  It was mentioned in at least one of those articles that the hammer had to be pulled back fully to properly rotate and lock the cylinder. Even though I know how to handle a weapon safely, when I buy a new gun I read the manual fully.  That is part of using a gun safely.

No gun is fool proof.

Offline Glanceblamm

Defective BFR ?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 07:09:39 PM »
At the best you could still end up with a wallowed out throat. At the worst, this could spit schrapnel at you along with cracking the throat & barrel for it's entire lenght.
If you take it hunting the gentle, silent cocking will be in order.
I Would Send It Back.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Defective BFR ?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 12:18:03 AM »
Golsovia, I would call Magnum Research and explain your problem. Ask them to send you a shipping label pre paid. See what they say. IMO, I would send it back. There is no reason to take a chance of having the gun get damaged or worse you get hurt.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA