Author Topic: A quick question!  (Read 425 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A quick question!
« on: November 13, 2004, 04:43:58 AM »
The Michigan opener for deer is monday, i recently made sure my ultra slug hunter was sighted in, i shot it, then took it apart and cleaned it, would removing the barrel from the frame and the forearm change the point of impact, i didn't mess with the sights, but will it change it significantly?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
A quick question!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 06:07:51 AM »
It should not have a significant effect if you snug down the forearm screw approximately the same each time you disassemble and reassemble the rifle.  Would not hurt to take a couple of confirming shots before you hunt to be sure. I like to take a 'fouling' shot before I hunt with a gun myself to clean out any extra oil, dust or cobwebs left in the barrel from cleaning & storage that may effect the first shot.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A quick question!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 02:26:25 PM »
i took it out to make sure it is still on , the first two shots went were i aimed, the third is a mystery, we could not find it but the first whole seemed a little bit larger than the rest so we figured that it went almost into the same hole, the last 2 were about 1 inch lower from were i was aiming but it was about 1.75"-2" group at 50 yards, i don't think that taking it apart messed it up to bad, what do you think?, is this okay for deer hunting?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
A quick question!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 02:43:17 PM »
The deer will never know the difference and will never know what hit them.  Go get them and have fun, Don't worry about taking it apart and putting together for hunting accuracy. Maybe rifle benchrest at 100-200-300 yards the group may move and inch or 2 but in the real world out in the woods and shooting while standing up on your own 2 feet after climbing a hill and breathing hard with your heart pounding as you sight in on a big buck at 40-50 yards away you have other things to worry about than if the point of impact has changed a tiny bit. Just as someone here suggested try to use the same relative amount of pressure snugging the forearm screw down each time and your good to go....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley