Author Topic: Pardner question  (Read 906 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pardner question
« on: November 13, 2004, 07:44:13 AM »
I recently figured out that the front bead is threaded on my pardner, I can remove it and wanted to replace it with a fiber optic bead, does anyone know what size the screw is for the front bead?
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
Pardner question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:03:51 AM »
MIdeerhunter,
I don't have a clue as to what the thread is on that barrel, but Wal-Mart sells a TruGlo "variety pack" of different thread sized beads. It might be worth a look.

Otherwise, I'd e-mail the company and try that route.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner question
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 05:54:10 AM »
3-56

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I lost my package for my true gloe fat bead and couldn't verify the size until today when I ran across the package.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Pardner question
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 09:19:30 AM »
Hey scruffy
                  How the heck you doing.   Its been a long time since I have seen you post here...  I hope all is well with you and your family.
God bless
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner question
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 05:33:09 AM »
Yep, doing great!  The wife is pregnant, expecting out first June 19th.  I've been busy around the place getting ready and such, sold a couple old guns I don't use, couple old 3/4 ton chvy work trucks (454 2x4, 350 4x4)  I don't need, finishing the basement, kids room, etc.

I just got in from dressing a doe I shot yesterday from my new ladder stand with only a few minutes of shooting time left (30 minutes after sunset is the limit).  She walked into the shooting lane 35 yards from the stand, broadside slightly quartering away, put her head down to take a bite of green stuff, the Ultra slug 20 with 3" Federal Barnes Expander slug went through both lungs, entered and exited right behind the shoulders, almost catching the far shoulder.  She went 70 yards, no blood trail which was odd I thought, but I didn't find her until this morning.  She went in "excape cover" on a hill side with small trees, grass, and tons of wild rose...  I looked for 30 minutes and couldn't find her so I went out this morning and found her after only a couple minutes of searching.  She was laying right where I thought I heard her crash.  After a short drag down the hill, across a creek, up the other side, under a fense, I had her on the back of my tractor, where she's hanging now on a boom cooling.  She'll be butchered here after bit, I need to go get stuff to wrap the meet in first.

Anyway, I really don't see how I could be better right now!

I'm trying to get a pic shrunk down to fit on here, and when I do I'll post it.

Oh, and on the front bead sight, you'll want to use a fingernail file or something to file down the end of the threaded part enough that it doesn't stick down through the fixed choke or into the screw in choke.

You know, I don't know if I've shot mine since I changed to the fat bead, any thought as to if the plastic bead, which runs completely through the barrel, will be shot off from the pressure of the shot???

later,
scruffy

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner question
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:18:10 PM »
Scruffy congrats on the deer and the news of a little scruffy in the future. I see it is due in June. Both my kids were born in June. My wife says she can tell when deer season is approaching 'cause I go into rut just thinking about hunting. :-D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Pardner question
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 02:20:41 PM »
Scruffy, if the threaded shaft is made of plastic I think any extra which protrudes into the barrel will be gone the first time you fire it!!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Pardner question
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 05:21:52 PM »
mideerhunter, I've some more research, it looks like "truglo" makes atleast some of their screw in fiber beads with a plastic or metal base.  I bought the plastic base but have never shot it (to my memory) with the plastic sight installed.  I fear the pressure from the shot will push the plastic front sight through the hole in the barrel, stripping the threads off the plastic.

I'm going to look for the steel base fiber sights and install it on my pardner.  I've done enough shooting with ported barrels and flash hiders and muzzle brakes to know there is a lot of pressure coming through the holes in the barrel, and I just don't see the small plastic threads holding that sight in the barrel.

So if you can find the steel base fiber sights.  Or try the plastic, but it may be a costly test since they run $20 to $30 for the plastic base fiber sights and you probably won't find it again, and even if you did there wouldn't be any threads on it left.  :wink:

edit: this is only a concern with fixed choke barrels.

later,
scruffy