Author Topic: First blacktail is a huge one "pic"  (Read 780 times)

Offline abhound

• Trade Count: (0)
First blacktail is a huge one "pic"
« on: November 14, 2004, 09:23:07 AM »
My friend's 12 year old son shot this huge blacktail on his first opening weekend.  He measures just over 24" and green scored 149 2/8BC and weighed just over 150lbs field dressed.  I've killed a lot of nice blacktails in my time, but none this big.  

A little jealous... maybe. :wink:

No, I'm not you typical Californian.  :sniper:

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
First blacktail is a huge one "pic&quo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 10:04:50 AM »
Gee, I did not know that they came that big!!  Very nice.  I would like to hear his story.  Tell him congrats for me.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 10:40:47 AM »
Go to http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/fieldphotos.html to see a number of large Blacktails from California.  Great site for Blacktail hunters everywhere.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline abhound

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »
I actually know some of the people in those photos.  I live smack-dab in the center of mendocino county where allot of those bucks were taken.  The boy shot this buck on a ranch in Covelo.  His dad eventually got a 21" 4x5 with a 9" fifth point, I'll try to dig out the picture. Two of his uncles also took huge bucks.  They grow them big around there.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
Nice buck.  Talking to a friend who was validating deer tags in B Zones.  About 60 percent of the deer he checked came off of private ranchs.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline abhound

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »
Quote from: Siskiyou
Nice buck.  Talking to a friend who was validating deer tags in B Zones.  About 60 percent of the deer he checked came off of private ranchs.

Yea that might be the reason I've never killed one that big.  $1500 for a buck is kind of steep, even one as nice as that.  Being that what public land there is to hunt is way over crowded I don't hunt as much as I once did.  These days I do more target shooting and abalone diving.  Unless I can draw out for another state such as Wyoming, Colorado or Nevada.

Here's the picture of his dad's buck.